Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel tank bottom bung.... ideas please

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel tank bottom bung.... ideas please

Tomorrow or Wednesday I plan on installing a bottom bung on my fuel tank. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I am sort of in unknown waters, never having done it before.

Have a bung made from a frame mount air coupling and plan on going through the pickup opening to wrench it tight. The tank is not the lowest part of the truck in that area so I don't think protection is necessary.

I am concerned of low fuel sloshing and picking up air. Any thoughts on this? But it looks like the stock setup does not have any protection for that.

I will have about a 2 inch flat head on the inside and don't plan on a leak problem against the plastic surface with a 3/4 thread to tighten against.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok this is what I did 3 years ago and it's still holding--the sizes may not equal yours but you will get the main idea---

I used a -10AN 90* bulkhead fitting and cut down one leg and chamfered the inside--then I took a 13/16" drill bit and slowly and I mean slowly(like I turned the drill by hand) and drilled a hole thru the bottom of the tank--pretty much opposite of the pick up-the bulkhead I had to literally thread into the tank-I used a 2 poly washers one inside and one outside and also made a sheetmetal washer for the outside(this is so bulkhead wouldn't pull thru the tank when tightening)--used some teflon thread sealant on the threads and tightened the whole mess down--
I also put a little screen mesh in the chamfered side of the bulkhead--if I was to do it again I might leave it out--but it's been no problem so far--I also have an Aeromotive filter before my Aeromotive pump---good luck--take your time and you should have no probs--chris
Old 05-24-2004, 12:18 AM

oh yea I have had no problem going down to 1/8th of a tank--although I do try and fill up at 1/4 if possible--chris
Old 05-24-2004, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by csutton7
ok this is what I did 3 years ago and it's still holding--the sizes may not equal yours but you will get the main idea---

I used a -10AN 90* bulkhead fitting and cut down one leg and chamfered the inside--then I took a 13/16" drill bit and slowly and I mean slowly(like I turned the drill by hand) and drilled a hole thru the bottom of the tank--pretty much opposite of the pick up-the bulkhead I had to literally thread into the tank-I used a 2 poly washers one inside and one outside and also made a sheetmetal washer for the outside(this is so bulkhead wouldn't pull thru the tank when tightening)--used some teflon thread sealant on the threads and tightened the whole mess down--
I also put a little screen mesh in the chamfered side of the bulkhead--if I was to do it again I might leave it out--but it's been no problem so far--I also have an Aeromotive filter before my Aeromotive pump---good luck--take your time and you should have no probs--chris
Thanks for the input. In my case I should not need any screening as I have the FASS system. It goes through a screen/fliter before going through the pump.

Did you do yours because of air pickup?
Old 05-24-2004, 10:38 PM

nope--cuz the lift pumps were dying and I wanted to prove that it was because they were sucking fuel and needed to be 100% gravity fed and pushing fuel---I'm less than 2 months shy of going 3yrs on my pump and changed my prefilter only once--I think I've proven my point--I do need to change the filter at the engine though--not because I have probs, but I think 3 yrs is good enuff for one filter--I will change filters once a year from now on just for basic maintenance, but I know they can go farther--almost 2 yrs on the prefilter---chris