Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel System

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel System

i here all of this talk about the fuel system. What goes wrong with it? ALso, how hard/how much does it cost to upgrade it? What do i have to upgrade?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:33 PM

The lift pumps and the injection pumps are what we have the most problems with. Low fuel pressure can kill a VP44 IP. The lift pumps are not that strong, and the low flow lines and banjo bolts make for low fuel pressure. There are several kits out there to help. I have the Vulcan Big Line Relocation Kit. It replaces the stock fuel line with bigger line and does away with the banjo bolts, and it relocates the lift pump to the frame rail where there isn't a lot of vibration. You should for sure have a fuel pressure gauge. 14-16psi @idle is normal. At WOT mine sucks down to about 8 psi. I think the kit was $150 or something like that. Hope this helps.

Eric

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock lift pump is a weakness on 2nd Gen 24 valve engines. When it goes out the injection pump (VP44) can keep the truck running but it's life without the lift pump is short and it is the expensive part. There are several good fixes. It comes down to how much you can spend and what you want to do with the truck. Do some searching here and you will find plenty of info.

Originally Posted by WARFootball77
i here all of this talk about the fuel system. What goes wrong with it? ALso, how hard/how much does it cost to upgrade it? What do i have to upgrade?
The reason for upgrading your fuel system is to ensure that your injection pump gets the proper amount of fuel so it does not quit on you. Once you start putting chips and programmers on, your fuel pressure will drop. Nominal pressure is required so that you do not drop below minimum. You can get an FASS system (expensive), get a Holley Blue and tie it in 1/2 inch line, or use different other setups. Most people on here say go FASS and thats it.