Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Few quick questions about a governor arm.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few quick questions about a governor arm.

Ok so after getting my truck re timed I went from 17 to 15.5 I had a sort of dead spot on the low end from idle to about 1400. It felt like the fuel mixture being to rich on a gasser. Anyway did some fooling around tonight and decided to pull the #10 and put in a #100. But after thinking and looking at the governor arm at full throttle with solenoid up it doesn't go under the plate on the #0 so I put in a #0 at full forward. This leads me to a few questions first off with the plate at FF the arm doesn't even touch the plate.... It will if the plate were in stock position but not at FF is this normal? Second question is will the arm lower a little as it gets closer to the plate just in case it does make it all the way to a plate that's at FF. Im just a little worried about it going under. The last question is well now that dead spot is gone. Anyone have any clue why it was there and why its gone now?

Thanks
Chris
Old 06-19-2007, 04:35 PM

Bump

Anyone?

Chris
Old 06-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the dead spot sounds the like gov arm was going under the plate, then finally getting on the plate and thats when the fuel kicks in. But it could also have been timing related since it cleared up after u re-timed ur truck.

Are u checking the gov arm with the ignition on and fuel selenoid lifted up? I've read the most accurate way to adjust the gov arm is with the truck acutally running because the arm seems to rise higher when the trucks running. Otherwise on a bench is the best way to adjust it but that involves time and money. As long as the dead spot is cleared up, don't worry about it, if it was going under the plate there should be a big cloud of smoke right at take off with not much power
Old 06-19-2007, 07:13 PM

I'm very interested in this topic because I think my gov arm may have come out of adjustment. I have a problem like XZ it seems the truck was running great then all of a sudden it has nothing down low? This all accured shortly after I moved my ten plate full forward??
Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

Full forward isn't always the best, the sweet spot on my truck was 3/4 forward. It got 2mpg better there, and power was the same but smoother throughout the rpms. I'm still pretty unsure about the actual funtion of the gov arm, I know it rides up the plate for fueling, but mine touches the bottom lip of the plate at 1/4 throttle, and I see people say at WOT it doesn't even touch the plate. But I moved my plate FF and checked the gov arm and it still hit the bottom lip with 1/4 throttle....so I dunno
Old 06-19-2007, 10:47 PM

Box5 the dead spot appeared when I had the re timed. I had it on the floor with the solenoid pulled up by hand. The dead spot has cleared up and what you described as it goes under the plate is exactly what was happening kinda like a boot letting go. Im still kinda lost here im not sure what top do. I think im going to do some testing tomorrow. To see if moving it back adds or decreases power. I also think I will put in the 100 to see if there is a deference in the power level and to also see if there is a dead spot again. My only question till then is what happens if it does go under the plate. What damage will it do?

Chris
Old 06-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Banned

Have u called the place u got the pump from? I'm not familiar with the pensacola pump, maybe they did some mods to the arm or somthing, I can't really say. But it'll only take 20 minutes or so to check the gov arm. Put the 100 plate or 0 plate about 3/4 forward, ignition on, lift the selenoid until it clicks into place, then just move the throttle linkage and watch where the arm hits. If it doesn't hit, move the plate back until the gov arm hits the bottom part of the plate and take it for a drive and see what it feels like.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 PM

I called pen diesel they said the gov arm was ajusted and it was safe to run a #0. Tonight i put the #100 in a little shy of FF. then tried it at FF. It makes more powere there. ill find out how well it runs tomorrow and let you guys know. But as it stands now i still like the power of my #0 at FF maybe tomorrow if im not happy with the #100 ill put the #0 back but a little shy of FF.

Chirs