Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

A few questions reguarding PERFORMANCE upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions reguarding PERFORMANCE upgrades

Firstly let me state this;
1995 Dodge 3500
Has 207,8XX miles.

I bought the truck and the kid basically had everything maxed out.
The starwheel is cranked the whole way, I'm not sure about pump timing, fuel plate (not shure what #), 370s, wastegate plugged, ect ect

So we started by unplugging the wastegate. Which ended up in removing it to find the diafram was shot in it so now I'm back down to boosting 35#ish.. But the spool up isn't that great.

What I'm experincing is A massive amount of "pre-boost" fuel.
Like if I'm under light throttle like, real light itll chug itself.. until about 1/4 throttle then it clears up.

So firstly I saw a diagram of the starwheel, ect the whole unit that had detailed descriptions on what does what, a teardown view of it, and how to adjust it all. I was wondering if somone had the link to this site/pic?

Also I'm curious about pumptiming if somone could direct me towards a thread that has all the information in one source (or even an website) that would be appreciated.

Finally, my father who has been in the automotive industry for over 30 years, specializing in Transmissions said about the amount of miles on the motor?
I know that 200k isn't nothing on diesels.
But I was planning on a turbo upgrade, new head, head studs, o-ringed ect.

He stated that he wasn't sure if pushing big #s of boost would be safe or cause blowby into the bottem of the block?
My inital plans where to take it to Performance Diesel Warehouse as they're so close and get a new head put on, o-ringed, and then eventually a bigger turbo to push boost more efficantly.
Would this be a bad thing for my motor condidering the amount of miles I have?

Also having all the fuel cranked WAY up and not having the turbo liting up like it did when the WG was plugged.. would this cause any fuel to go past the rings into the oil?

Any help/suggestions/ect would be appreciated.

I plan on pulling w/ this truck, locally.. not too competitively.
I also would like to find out what size turbos pullers are using?
As to my understanding lower the diamter = quicker spool, bigger = slower spool?
Which is better for pulling?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:02 AM

... anyone?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few things. As I read your post, it has too many questions (at least for me) to answer without spending 1/2 day on it. Try breaking down the post to individual problems/questions and post them, you will get a better response. Do a search on a lot of your questions, pump timing, etc. Piers Diesel has a number of tech articles that may help you with the starwheel, as well there are a bunch of posts about it. Take a oil sample and have Blackstone labs anaylize it, you will learn a lot. My guess is with your 370's, plate (unknown # or profile), and modified pump, you are dumping a ton of fuel early, causing a lot of smoke, part of the deal until the engine clears it up. Learn to drive it differently. You can measure blowby, search it, there is a bunch of information about it and how to measure it. You have a good start, keep reading, researching and posting.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:54 PM

Well a number of things could be addressed. You could move the plate back a little bit and tune back the star wheel to control the low end smoke. By tuning the star wheel back you can get the turbo to light quicker because you wont flood it out. Not to mention all that black smoke is power going out the tube and tuning the star wheel will not hurt you on the top end power either.

As far as timing goes, you need to find out what kind of pump is on it... Whether or not it is a bigger pump or whatnot. Though there is a way to re time it that would involve locking the pump with the pump's lock at TDC. Then knock the pump gear loose and rotate the engine forward a little past TDC then back till it is at TDC. Mark the dampner then rotate it backward as far as you need. Each millimeter of travel on the outer edge of the dampner is approximately 2* so about 8mm should do you fine to put you in the 16* range.

Don't worry about your mileage: there are guys here with over 400k that are running twins and the whole nine yards on their 12v CTDs... There shouldn't be fuel getting past the rings but there may well be plenty of soot contamination.

On a single with the mods you have a 62/14 or even a 64/14 would probably do the trick. Though a set of budget twins would wake things up pretty good too, a stock HX-35 over an HT3B (holset) or M24 (Air Research), pretty much any heavy duty diesel engine with a turbo that has a 71mm to 77mm inducer will work... With studs and O-rings you should be able to push 50-55 psi of boost pretty efficiently.