Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Exhaust to quiet

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust to quiet

I have a banks 4in with a 5in tip. Its to **** quiet. I dont want the straight pipe load but I wouldn't mind hearing it in the cab alittle more. Any help would be great. Can I gut out the banks or change to a different muffler? Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 PM

Maybe more twords that semi sound.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:21 AM

go on you-tube and type in 2nd gen dodge cummins exhaust. there will be plenty to listen to. your 4" banks pipe would be great to keep just need to find the right muffler that doesn't have any packing in it. just a straight through design with minimal resistance. like diamond eye, mbrp etc.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:10 AM

So my banks isnt a straight through?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Crack open your back window....

You will want a straight thru designed muffler as sug'd.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:20 PM

Thanks again, I guess I will be looking for a straight through set up then , is that what they run on most semis?

Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 AM

I would go on www.youtube.com
and search 2nd gen cummins exhaust . you can hear alot get some ideas, they will list most of the time on the clip what type they have installed. as far as your banks muffler it has alot of sound packing in it. and it is open really wide in the first part and then diverted to a smaller diameter also with packing around it. Alot of the semi sound is dealing with little to no resistance (stacks) not much resistance. with little resistance and good flow you also will have some turbo sound/ heard near the tail pipe. this almost sounds like a Jet/turbine engine. pipe is cheap you could always take the current muffler off and put just a straight pipe/replacement piece on and see if it actually is to loud for you. its not going to hurt anything on the truck.
MBRP has sound clips of second gen dodge on the website when you look up systems for the 2nd gen
Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by steveo412
Thanks again, I guess I will be looking for a straight through set up then , is that what they run on most semis?

The pre tier 4 or whatever they are calling them had baffles in some and just a 5 or 6 inch pipe in others. We have one around here running 12" stacks and it sounds AWESOME, but its putting out over 750 HP.

Most over the road trucks are pushing 400HP and this certainly adds to the sound of the exhaust, also the orientation of the pipe/stack etc.

I bet you could get Semi sounding exhaust with the right combo of pipe/injectors/hp.....
Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 AM

Be careful what you wish for, I put on Diamond eye 4 inch SS exhaust WITH A MUFFLER and it's still too loud to order food at a drive through, I have to shut my truck off just to order food. If you're truck drives good, and is reliable, why waste money just to get a desired sound?? Not to mention if you're windows are down and you pull up beside another vehicle the sound will resonate off the vehicle next to you and sound even louder, to me this is not a good thing and most people don't think it's "cool". Trust me, I love the sound of a diesel but also love to be able to hear the radio and hold a conversation on my cell phone while driving....lol
Old 03-14-2014, 01:30 PM

I love my 5" exhaust however i would agree that fast food ordering is hard with any loud exhaust but to me at times a loud exhaust and my window down a little sometimes helps with those times the wife wants to talk when she is in the truck. What Honey did you say something? what,,, .

You can always just cut off the and put a straight pipe piece in place of the banks muffler to see if its to loud. dont be suprised if your MPG goes down alittle if you do this cause your foot and ear may like the new sound at first. to also save the cost some if you do replace the muffler with a diff brand look at websites that sell items discounted because of scratches or small blemishes on the mufflers etc.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
I love my 5" exhaust however i would agree that fast food ordering is hard with any loud exhaust but to me at times a loud exhaust and my window down a little sometimes helps with those times the wife wants to talk when she is in the truck. What Honey did you say something? what,,, .

that's funny. I do the same thing when I don't feel like talking or listening
Old 03-16-2014, 08:50 AM

I love my 5inch with straight thru muffler. Everyone else says it is to loud. Guess that is why no one wants to ride in the truck.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
" I wouldn't mind hearing it in the cab a little more."

run the end into the cab
Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 PM

I bought a Diamond Eyes 4" to 5" with a muffler, if you want to call it that. it was a full exhaust, came out behind the rear tire, but I decided to cut it and remove the muffler, with a 45 turndown pointed out to the side. with a 6 speed, it sounds like a pete coming down the road. before I cut it off, it was still pretty loud. love it now, but you're definitely not sneaking up on anyone or spying on your ex...
Old 03-25-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS

You can always just cut off the and put a straight pipe piece in place of the banks muffler to see if its to loud. dont be suprised if your MPG goes down alittle if you do this cause your foot and ear may like the new sound at first. to also save the cost some if you do replace the muffler with a diff brand look at websites that sell items discounted because of scratches or small blemishes on the mufflers etc.
Stop backing thru the drive thru!

My vp is a clatterbox, I think most of my engine noise is from it.

My mileage also went down for a while after I put my 4" on

Quick Reply: Exhaust to quiet