Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Exhaust header??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exhaust header??

About a year ago I saw a picture of a tubular exhaust header for our CTD's and it was beautiful - a work of art!..........I can't remember where I saw it ..........Does anybody have any info on them or who makes it?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw one on e-bay one time.The think it was like $700 bucks though.Seem's like if they were that great all these guys on here would be running them.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, any type of tubular header would be better than these manifolds.......these manifolds do absolutely nothing for scavenging and ruin any chances of achieving some reasonable port velocities..........A good header would greatly increase velocity at the exhaust port.......this in turn would give you a higher level of flow at the exhaust compressor........lower egt's and quicker spool up would result, not to mention the power gain of properly scavenging the cylinders, which would again, also lower egt's.........

I want that header!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:35 AM

Did you find it on there?If you get one I want to hear how it works.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Banned

I know the one your talking about. I thought it was in the 3rd gen section but I looked and looked and couldn't find it. I'm curious as to what the results of it were.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:23 PM

Lightbulb Look here

This guy is a true craftsman!!!

http://samba.student.oulu.fi/~jpontys/cummins.html

Old 02-15-2005, 03:30 PM

WOW
Old 02-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

Did yall read his wesbite? This guy has some serious time invested in his engine. I wonder how it's gonna run.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Crimedog
WOW

X2....
Old 02-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It looks nice but what you guys are missing is that heat that makes the spinny thing go 'round. The stock (or ATS) cast iron manifolds do a good job of getting most of that heat into the turbine housing where it can do some good. A header is going to lose efficiency over a manifold. Flow is a secondary consideration to heat retention on a turbocharged engine. The other problem with headers is that turbos are heavy. If you do a header you need a bracket to support the weight of the turbo so the header doesn't crack.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Banned

I could see that as a problem on the 3rd gens since the header extends so far down. But on the 2nd gens, the header is so short, I don't think you'd lose enough heat. Plus you can coat it to keep the heat in.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:40 PM

some people run nice tire and wheel combos just for looks others run balanced and printed fabrication masterpieces, if you beat the pants off this guy cause his turbo got too cold atleast he can still have a shiny hand crafted manifold....or everything for that matter, to look good in second place!! bravo fabmaster!!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Muted User

Wannadiesel, I normally agree with you on most of your posts, but not on this one.. Nope, I beg to differ.

This is EXACTLY what you want to do. When its all done, get the headers Jet Hot coated too. This is far better than a manifold... Why?? Very little mass....

An explanation: So you are cruising aroung town, with your EGT about 450 say... Then you mash the go pedal.... Your heavy massive cast iron manifold is still 450° at that instant but your exhaust leaving the cylinders is starting to heat up since you added fuel. But that darn heavy heat sink is cooling your exhaust gasses while it heats up. So your turbo waits a bit for the good high enthalpy gasses.. This is lag... Take a thin wall stainless header like this, get it Jet-Hot coated and even better yet, insulate it with heat blanket (would be a shame though once its coated it'l really look pretty) do the same with the turbine housing and look out, crazy fast spool.... You all are familiar with inertia induced turbo lag... well a heavy heat sink between your head and turbine is thermal induced trubo lag.... Keep it thin, keep it light, get the hot gasses to the turbine fast....

This is exactly what I intend to fabricate and its why I posted the wanted message for an old cracked 24V manifold so I can use it to get dimensions.

Kevin
Old 02-15-2005, 11:16 PM
DTR Advertiser

Yes, a thin walled header will have more heat in the exhaust stream than a thick and highly conductive cast iron part. The thinker the part, the faster it conducts heat out. The thin header with a nice insulting layer of air surrounding it will conduct heat slower.

Of course the thin walled tubing will give some away to durability.

Header length is less critical in turbo diesels and tuning for flow and scavenging will yield small results. The turbine gets in the way. You dont have a pressure wave reflection to work with. It is stopped or corked by the turbine section.

Don~
Old 02-15-2005, 11:25 PM
DTR Advertiser

The young man that is building that project up is one hard worker I checked through the site quickly and liked everything he did except polishing the rods.

The net result is a rod that is weaker. Cummins shot peens the rods from the factory. Polishing the beams is a great idea, dont get me wrong, but they need to be re-peened after the polish job.

IMO, peening is more critical than polishing.

Don~

Quick Reply: Exhaust header??