Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Engine behavior with large injectors and an EZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine behavior with large injectors and an EZ

I have a 01 HO 6 spd. With stage 4 EDM injectors, a TST PM3 Competition version stacked with an EZ. This has bothered me for some time.... when on the highway and I use from about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, the engine surges and bucks quite badly. enough to bounce you in the seat. Under 1/4 throttle, perfectly smooth, over 3/4 throttle perfectly smooth.. So for some experimentation, with the PM3 on 0 it still does it. So I took the edge off and left the PM3 on and its perfect. I am surmizing that the advanced timing created by the larger injectors coupled with the additional timing from the EZ is causing this surge. But I cant STAND my truck without the EZ stacked. It adds gobs of bottom end that I cant live without.... What about the jumpers in the EZ. I have mine on the quickest rate settting (most smoke too) Does anyone know what exactly the jumpers do to the timing and/or fuel curve?? I am gonna try the middle jumper tomorrow and see if it still does it...

Anyone else notice this same condition with their rig??

Kevin
Old 03-17-2005, 07:11 PM

Mine does the same thing and i just run an EZ with a set of DD2's.

It is especially noticeable in 6th gear when you just put your foot into to pass someone. It bucks and a little shudder and away it goes.

I oringinally thought it was spring wrap up because that is kind of what it feels like but it only does it in the upper end of 4, 5, 6th gear.

I am not liking it but just kind of ignore it. Not sure how to fix it.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only notice it if the engine is under 1500 rpm when I get on it. Only cure I've found is to downshift and keep the revs up to get 'er lit, then after the upshift it seems a bunch smoother.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:22 PM

I believe what you're seeing is the Edge starts it's different fueling map around 10psi of boost. At least this is what happens on the drag comp. If I cruise at less than 10% throttle and keep the boost at 10psi, I get the same bucking that you're describing. Changing the jumpers should move the point the map changes either up or down, effectively removing the bucking from your daily driving routine. I'm a little surprised you didn't see this with your PM3 comp on higher levels? The TST box was unusable as a daily driver on my truck, I couldn't run it on any level without it shuttering at anything less than WOT.

brandon.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Muted User

Yup, it sounds like you guys have the exact same problem.. Except maybe Beast2B... mine will do it at any RPM even up at 2,400.. Its only a function of throttle position, and maybe as Brandon says a particular boost pressure too... I will monitor the boost pressure closely tomorrow and see if it does it allways around the same boost...

And it is in fact worse with the PM3 on higher levels, but I think that it is amplifying the condition not creating it since it will still do it with the PM off and just the edge....
I am not terribly happy with the PM3 either, but not cause of bucking.. I think its a dog down low... What did you switch to Brandon??

Tryin the middle jumper tomorrow.

Thanks guys

KP
Old 03-17-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Kevin, The jumpers wont do squat believe me. when we dyno tested the ez in different pin setting there was litltle to no change.

How about testing a Catcher in place of the EZ?

yes? no? maybe?

I bet you will like it

let's talk
Old 03-17-2005, 11:11 PM

Kevin,

My truck is doing the same thing, only it is usually at 3/4 to full throttle and only maybe 50% of the time.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Bob Wagner
Kevin, The jumpers wont do squat believe me. when we dyno tested the ez in different pin setting there was litltle to no change.
Bob, the jumper had the most effect below the peak numbers. Mainly it helped starting off the line and there was more smoke down low when it was in the most aggressive setting on my '99. Were you comparing peak numbers or lower numbers?

I am not terribly happy with the PM3 either, but not cause of bucking.. I think its a dog down low... What did you switch to Brandon??
Kevin,
I switched to a drag comp & love it. I can run daily on 5x5 with Mach6s if I watch my right foot during low boost. It gives the low end push when it's on. I'd like to test the MadECM, but can't justify the cost since I already have the drag comp. I don't think it would give any additional power over the superchips/drag comp stack.

brandon.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Muted User

Middle Jumper this morning on the way to the power station.... same thing only now I have less bottom end on initial application of pedal and I cant smoke out the tailgaiting yuppies as bad...

Cool Brandon, I was thinking about the drag comp. But what I think I will really do is get rid of the EZ and get a MAD ecm. That and the fueling only TST PM3 might be a good setup...

Yup, Bob that is exactly what I was thinking and have been thinking for a long long time....

I have heard just tons of great stuff about the MAD and rode in a MAD truck once... Its really nothing like anything else out there... Think its time to step it up.. BUt I am concerned because I think its the timing of the EZ thats giving me this surge/buck and I know the MAD has a bit of timing. I would like to test it first before shelling out the cash if that is possible??? I will PM you....

Kevin
Old 03-18-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
This is funny to me...I have asked a few times about the negative effects of larger injectors with daily driving and I never get replies like these. I only hear how GREAT they are. I really want them but I'm having a hard time weighing the pro's and con's.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by KATOOM
This is funny to me...I have asked a few times about the negative effects of larger injectors with daily driving and I never get replies like these. I only hear how GREAT they are. I really want them but I'm having a hard time weighing the pro's and con's.
Huh? Daily driving with the boxes turned off and large injectors is a pleasure! The problems with the PM3 stem from running it on the upper race-only levels and expecting it to behave nice. There's nothing wrong with larger injectors on the street if you have correct turbo setup. For instance, I've run Mach 6's daily for over a year now. The Drag Comp stays on 2x1 unless it's time to kill ponies and cute little bowties. It's been one long, continuous smile.

brandon.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by joefarmer
Huh? Daily driving with the boxes turned off and large injectors is a pleasure! The problems with the PM3 stem from running it on the upper race-only levels and expecting it to behave nice. There's nothing wrong with larger injectors on the street if you have correct turbo setup. For instance, I've run Mach 6's daily for over a year now. The Drag Comp stays on 2x1 unless it's time to kill ponies and cute little bowties. It's been one long, continuous smile.

brandon.
I cant turn off the EZ and I was just reading where someone says it does it with just the EZ and DD2's. I'm not trying to be negative or nothing but I was really just hoping for true honest feed back when I asked and I know there is always something you have to give up for the gain. If it was only positive, positive, positive then there would be no topics ever posted about help questions with larger injectors.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Katoom
I dont know how large you meen but as for my Jammer IIs the only negative thing I can say about them is a little low boost smoke(If smoke bothers you) Maybe thats because there not that big?There is absolutly no drivability quirks or issuses I have found. I hope I can say the same after I step up this summer.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Muted User

katoom, I can tell you that it only became a problem when I stacked the EZ with the PM3. Then I figured out that even with the PM3 off it still did it. But without the EZ it is perfectly smoothe. With the PM3 even on 9 it is like glass. So it seems to be some combination of the EZ and the injectors on my truck. It is also strange to find out that lots of other guys dont have this problem.... It might be injection pump related too, as I think mine is dying for sure... But to get just injectors or injectors and a PM3 I would say there are in fact ZERO negative aspects of that.. its just perfect and you will love em.

Kevin
Old 03-19-2005, 04:26 PM

Interesting to hear that the EZ could be a culprit to behavior problems.

Quick Reply: Engine behavior with large injectors and an EZ