Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge Juice = TC Slippage = New Valvebody?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Juice = TC Slippage = New Valvebody?

I got the juice all wired up and I can slip my TC ever so slighty in just the EZ mode on levels 4 and 5. I just replaced my tranny 1 yr ago but probably not with the right stuff. I do have a billet HD torque convertor, but not one of the famous ones we all hear about.

Am guessing I need to do a Valve Body. I'm in Seattle so I'm fairly close to DTT, but I'm wondering what my options are to have something done here locally? What can I expect this to cost with install and everything? Does anyone know of a LOCAL Seattle shop that does any of the big 4's transmissions?

One last question.... What about adjusting my line pressure? I've read on this a little, but I don't understand whether it could possibly help or not.

Thanks guys... Bryce
Old 04-28-2006, 01:13 AM

If youre content with the Juice and you dont plan on going any bigger, i'd say a valve body would work good for ya. Part of what the valve body does is raise the line pressure and helps increase the holding power. It should also make it shift better. There are some on here that are running stock trannies with just an aftermarket valve body and are holding quite a bit of power. I have a Goerend Triple Disc Converter and a Goerend Valve body sittin here at the house waiting to be installed, whenever we get the time. I paid $450 plus shipping for my valve body. Good luck to ya.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:46 AM

Hey Bryce, I agree with teddy bear in the fact that you need a valve body or shift kit. If you have a local tranny guy you use he can easily hook up gauges to the tranny and see what numbers your pushing. Transgo makes a good shift kit for your valve body. Im having mine done next week. $400 installed. As far as a TC goes, if your tranny isnt built up with billet shafts and such, you should not run a triple clutch converter. A quality single disc is good for 450hp before if will slip. If you go with the triple and do not build the trans up you WILL break shafts. This is why I went with the single disc so that if extreme loads apply, theoretically the TC is going to slip b4 the shaft breaks. Kinda like a safeguard. Also invest in deeper pan and a trans gauge if you dont already have one Good Luck!

Mark
Old 04-28-2006, 11:31 AM

Ok, so what shops is anybody using here in the NW for this type of work? If I order a VB from DTT or Goerend or suncoast or someone, can I just take it down to the local tranny guy to have it installed? Or are there other imparative changes that need to be made?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

Order up a VB from DTT. I love mine. It's been holding 398hp for a while now. Although recently it's been slipping some in OD but that's to be expected. If your just gooing to stay with the juice then I definately recommend the VB.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:04 PM

Can I order one of there valve bodies and have just any shop install it for me? What should I look for in a shop to do this work? What installation cost point should I look for?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:53 PM

well right there in wa you have dunrite . they run mostly the same kit in there vb as goerand.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhoCares79
As far as a TC goes, if your tranny isnt built up with billet shafts and such, you should not run a triple clutch converter. A quality single disc is good for 450hp before if will slip. If you go with the triple and do not build the trans up you WILL break shafts.
Mark
The triple will NOT cause you to break a shaft. Keeping any TC locked and shifting might. You will break the output by doing 4X4 boosted holeshots.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by seabee
well right there in wa you have dunrite . they run mostly the same kit in there vb as goerand.
Yeah, but both Dunrite or DTT are over 2hrs from me. So I'm wondering what guys do when they don't live right beside these TC shops?
Old 04-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Chapter President

Whocares, I think there are a bunch of people pushing well over 450hp running a single disk that would disagree with you.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When are you gonna fix that sig.? What did you decide about shafts?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:13 PM
RJF

I was/am in almost an identical situation. I had my trans built with an aftermarket Axiom single disk converter with a low stall billet stator, blah blah, with the trans go shift kit. After I added the Juice/Attitude I could easily break away the converter. I then ordered a Suncoast valve body, had it installed, and problem solved. Suncoast's valve bumps the line pressure way up, unlike a simple shift kit.

Do a good VB, it should solve your problem.

Any shop can simply install a valve body for you, just make sure that the trans shop you choose does in fact have some experience with the diesel trans.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by RJF
I was/am in almost an identical situation. I had my trans built with an aftermarket Axiom single disk converter with a low stall billet stator, blah blah, with the trans go shift kit. After I added the Juice/Attitude I could easily break away the converter. I then ordered a Suncoast valve body, had it installed, and problem solved. Suncoast's valve bumps the line pressure way up, unlike a simple shift kit.

Do a good VB, it should solve your problem.

Any shop can simply install a valve body for you, just make sure that the trans shop you choose does in fact have some experience with the diesel trans.
Thanks RJF, that's what I was needing to hear. I'll have to start hunting install prices and get a vavle body on the way here. I see some companies like suncoast make towing or racing version... I do tow quite a bit and pretty heavy loads. What's the differences between these units?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:12 AM
RJF

Originally Posted by bryceepoo
Thanks RJF, that's what I was needing to hear. I'll have to start hunting install prices and get a vavle body on the way here. I see some companies like suncoast make towing or racing version... I do tow quite a bit and pretty heavy loads. What's the differences between these units?
Usually the aggressiveness of the shift. I didn't relize Suncoast made two different versions...

Mine shifts fairly firm, but not bad.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:18 PM

I had a local tranny guy install a beefed up TC (7hrs shop time= $310) , replace old VB with a BD VB(1.5hrs shop time=$65.25) I also had a BD pressure loc installed right away (2hrs shop time=$87)and everything works great for what I am using my truck for and I am very pleased with my setup. the best part is I checked around and figured out what I actually needed for what I was using my truck for so that I didn't have overkill and spend a ton of money that I didn't need too. Figured these prices would give you something to go by. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Edge Juice = TC Slippage = New Valvebody?