Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

edge drag comp???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question edge drag comp???

a buddy has a edge drag comp(not the hot box) off his old truck and he wants $300 for it, i have it on my truck right now, but with out the wire tap. ive heard a wire tap is the worst thing that ya can do the the vp44. is that true? and is it worth $300(he had it stacked with i think tst, and with 150hp sheid injectors)

i was also concitering the diblo power puck($260) and the quadrazila ($325). so what do yall think???
Old 07-23-2006, 11:42 PM

The drag comp box is the hot version of the Edge Comp. I'd think for $300, the reg. comp would be a decent deal. The Drag upgrade is another $100 on top of the regular price of a comp, so I'd think $400 for a Drag box would be a deal as well.

Tapping the wire is a bit of a risk, especially depending on who you talk to. Some pumps will go 80k+ miles tapped with no problem, or will go out on the first 5x5 run (mine). You can get some high numbers without a wire tap box (I think Phatty was making 450ish with injectors, smarty and a HRVP), but its hard to turn down an easy 120hp from a comp when its only a couple hundred bucks and a wire tap away.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:56 PM

300 bucks for a drag comp is a great deal. I've seen used EZ's going for that.

Just get it and tap that wire. If the pump fails.. right away.. then you know you got a bad pump and probably wouldn't lasted you much longer anyways. It's better to know and not get stranded somewhere. (that's how I'm going to justify it when the time comes).
Old 07-24-2006, 10:16 AM
DRD

If your 98.5 still has the original pump, you have a higher chance of walking home after the first 5x5 pull than a newer truck or one with a reman pump. Mine piled up first pull.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sea Bass
300 bucks for a drag comp is a great deal. I've seen used EZ's going for that.

Just get it and tap that wire. If the pump fails.. right away.. then you know you got a bad pump and probably wouldn't lasted you much longer anyways. It's better to know and not get stranded somewhere. (that's how I'm going to justify it when the time comes).

< Good Deal on the Comp. >
Old 07-24-2006, 04:38 PM

Mine laid down 24 hours after the Comp install. You's pay your money and you's take yer chances. Besides the HRVP is the way to go anyway.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:16 PM

I think I am part of a small group. I have the original vp44 and original LP (with the holley pusher) and I have had the comp tapped for about 15k miles. Lots of 5x5 runs with no problems yet. I usually drive with it on 3x5, it gives me the best fuel mileage. For $300 you can't go wrong.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:46 PM

$300 is a deal, I paid $650 for my drag comp. but on the original Vp I made it 300yard on 3x5. I haven't taped the HRVP yet waiting to get money for another pump "just in case" before i tap this one. But still made 644 ft\lbs on the dyno.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:26 PM
RJF

Guess I'm a lucky one so far. Original VP44, second stock lift pump, 128K on the truck, and truck runs great on level 6. No signs of pump failure.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:52 PM

id say its a good deal. i can tell when mine is off and on.

Can someone maybe explain all the settings to me? it was on my truck when i bought it. i tow with on 3x3 and daily drive with it like that. but would 3x5 net me? or say 3x1.. whats teh different in those settings?? thanks a ton.

jiMMy
Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by jiMMyCTD
id say its a good deal. i can tell when mine is off and on.

Can someone maybe explain all the settings to me? it was on my truck when i bought it. i tow with on 3x3 and daily drive with it like that. but would 3x5 net me? or say 3x1.. whats teh different in those settings?? thanks a ton.

jiMMy
Every truck is different. I have a couple friends with comps, and all of us get our best mileage on different settings. You just have to mess with the settings and see what gives the best mileage. Sub-setting 1 will give the same total amount of fuel as sub-setting 5, but it will gradually come on. Sub-setting 2 comes on a little quicker than 1, and so on. Hope that helps.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by dsl kicks gas
a buddy has a edge drag comp(not the hot box) off his old truck and he wants $300 for it, i have it on my truck right now, but with out the wire tap. ive heard a wire tap is the worst thing that ya can do the the vp44. is that true? and is it worth $300(he had it stacked with i think tst, and with 150hp sheid injectors)

i was also concitering the diblo power puck($260) and the quadrazila ($325). so what do yall think???

The Quad, puck, edge ez, van aaken boxes or the smarty programmer will all give you max fueling out of the vp44 plus timing which is good for 60+ hp and a bump in mileage. Drag comp, tst, blue chip,.. all tap the wire on the pump pushing the IP to its limit,..and beyond sometimes.

If you don't want to tap the pump wire there are other options, but if I were in your shoes I'd just get the drag comp and tap it Good for 150 hp Just be prepared for the worst. Like they said if its gonna die as soon as you make your first hard run, then it was going to die soon anyways. The rebuilt vp44's have a lot of updates/improvements.

You're going to want to take that superchips off. Unless you want to keep it as a code reader ya ought to sell it in the DTR classified to help offset some of the cost. BTW is your buddy's truck a 98-99 also?
Old 07-24-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
You can get some high numbers without a wire tap box (I think Phatty was making 450ish with injectors, smarty and a HRVP), but its hard to turn down an easy 120hp from a comp when its only a couple hundred bucks and a wire tap away.
Yeah- that guy is nuts

From what I'm hearing the drag comp is all you need on a SO truck as far as boxes go. There might be better ways to get there, but none cheaper.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:31 PM

i've decited i'm not gonna do the wire tap cant aford a new pump right now he told me that i can use it u ntill he sells it so it aint all bad, i think he's gonna put it on ebay with a reserve or somethin for 400 and see what hapens, i told him he should put the reserve at 500 but he aint goin for it

i know if i buy it ill do the wire tap so.......no go

QUAD. or the POWER PUCK?????
Old 07-29-2006, 03:33 PM

how bout un plugin the map senser, whats that help, and where's it at??

Quick Reply: edge drag comp???