Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Dually Rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Dually Rims

I have a line on a set of cheap 19.5 Chevy dually rims, 8 log pattern, that would fit if I have the hub pilot hole enlarged to the Dodge size. My question is this: Is it worth doing?? I know about the better ratings on 19.5 tires, but I am not 100% sure the backspacing will work right? I have also been reading some things about rotation/steer/traction concerns. I have a must-report-to-work type job (Critical Employee, i believe is what they told me ) and drive in all weather. Plus, I like to go off-road hunting (old logging roads, mostly, some skidder trails) and would like recommendations on a tread pattern.

Thank You very much.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was looking at a set on a chevy step van the other day, the accuride part# is 29015. and i would almost bet money they will bolt up just fine with the hub bored out. get one and measure the back spacing, and fill me in.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:41 PM

I checked the back spacing of my old dodge rims compared to my '01 and the new rims are 2" more backspace. The old rims bolted on but stuck out like a stinkin' fartpipe equipt rice burner car, no offense.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:17 PM

I see that accuride lists the #29015 as a 5" backspaced wheel. Does that mean that for duals they would stick out 2" from the fender?? I don't really want flares, but if I had to ok. But 2"??

Also am wondering about the clamping plate they show. I would be more comfortable with the two piece clamping nuts instead of the plate and coned nuts. Or am I wrong??
Old 07-16-2004, 03:13 PM

Well, I bought a set. I was almost home when I realized I hadn't bought a 7th for a spare! I was able to get the clamping plates at the same time. I was surprised to see that the old tires on the rims were load range D!? I think I will sandblast and repaint them black. Any ideas on type of paint to use?? Should be durable.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:39 PM

how much did you have to pay for them?
Old 07-16-2004, 06:06 PM

Zulu...it's a dually. You always have a spare!
Old 07-18-2004, 12:03 AM

True enough when unloaded, but If I am carrying a load I want 6 inflated tires. However, I do not think I could overload the 19.5's I plan on putting on...

The yard I went to had a stack of GM wheels, $45/each. The clamping rings were $5.00 each, but I got one free with a wheel that still had it bolted on. All told, it was just over $300 for 6 rims and 4 clamping rings (I decided the freebie looked questionable, and the stack of rings they had in the shed were almost like brand new!) The real bummer is that I had to take them with the old rubber still on them. Hopefully I can find a reasonable place to dispose of them. They look too dry rotted for retreading. One of them looks almost like new, but is a skinny bias ply highway rib. I am planning on all-season radials.

The rims still need paint, and I am not sure where or how much it will cost to increase the hub pilot hole. An old timer suggested I use one of those three-stone engine hones and do it myself. I think it would work, but I am doubting my ability to actually keep it centered enough. I also wonder how well the stones would hold up to the thin steel vs. a cast iron sleeve?? I could see wearing the stones down to grooved nubbins!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:59 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

First, nobody addressed your tire rotation and steer tire vs. drive tire concerns. Since you have a 4x4 and you plan to use it off road, you can't run dedicated steer tires up front and expect to get anywhere off the pavement. Drive tires might not provide the best directional stability up front, so what you're going to have to look for is fairly aggressive tire that still has most of the tread lined up long ways rather than across the tread. The Bridgestone M-724F on the Rickson site looks good. For the rear tires, get M+S rated tires. I know from experience that drive tires that aren't M+S rated pack right up with mud and you're going nowhere. The Goodyear G-124 on the same page looks good to me. I wouldn't worry about running different brands front and rear, you're only running in 4wd on slippery surfaces so it doesn't matter if the diameters are slightly different. If you're running different tread patterns front and rear, just swap the rears inner for outer every oil change and they'll wear evenly.

On opening up the pilot holes: A shop with a decent size milling machine can do it. Probably very pricey unless you know somebody. A cylinder hone doesn't sound like a bad idea but it will be very slow. If you do this I'd bolt the rims together and do them in pairs. I think you can do well enough with a die grinder as long as you're careful to apply even pressure and you keep moving. If you screw it up you're only out $45 anyway, you can screw up a couple and still be ahead of the game.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:32 AM

Hi!

Wow, this thread caught may attention!

We looked at converting to 19.5 rims awhile back, but absolutely NOBODY in Alberta seemed to know if there was such a thing as 8 bolt 19.5 rims! I am in the landfills 8 times per day, and you wouldn't believe the number of flat tires I get (16 since December and counting). 16" rubber is not my first choice. We're starting to go to Bridgestone Commercial tires, so far no flats on those 2, but still...

Are these off of the Chevy 3500HD's? For some reason I thought they were 10 bolt, and needed an adapter plate to fit the Dodge pattern. What other trucks used an 8 bolt 19.5" rim?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by von Trapp

Are these off of the Chevy 3500HD's? For some reason I thought they were 10 bolt, and needed an adapter plate to fit the Dodge pattern. What other trucks used an 8 bolt 19.5" rim?

Thanks!
Von Trapp -- these are from the Chevy/GMC step vans, p-series, 1977 to 2000, I think. The junk yard I went to in Illinois had a large number sitting in an old dumpster, still with the rotting tires. As posted above, you could get new rims if you wanted from Accuride, Part #29015. Be sure to get the clamping plates too, as these wheels were desined for them. I wonder how strong they would be clamped down with our two piece lug nuts??

As far as other 8 bolt pattern 19.5's, I have found some ford rims. The problem I am facing with the Fords is the metric bolt pattern. I haven't found any Ford rims with the 8 on 6.5" pattern. I hear they exist, but I can find any record. I had one gentleman swear up and down that the Chevy step vans only used 10 bolt rims. Not so. I have even found some 19.5's on a different step van that had a monster sized 6-bolt pattern!! I think they would have fit and looked pretty sweet on my old K-30 Chevy gasser.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:28 PM

Found another 19.5 thread under Towing/RV. Good info there too. Looks like I am limited to the skinnier 225/70R19.5's. Seems Rickson lists about 4 or five brands of M+S rated radials, all 200+ Buckaroos. Anyone out there ever run Dunlops? I saw some listed on a commercial tire site once. I have heard good things about Yokohama light truck tires, but nothing on their commercial fare. Another tire is from Sumitomo?? Not heard anything about them before. The cheapest were General Tire,and I haven't heard much about them for years. I think I have an Uncle who liked them.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:43 AM

i just sold a set of 6 225/70/19.5 i bought them off a 2004 f550, i was going to adapt the rims to my truck. but after measuring them they were the same height as my 235/85/16s. i need more height. mike
Old 07-21-2004, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by gunracer1
i just sold a set of 6 225/70/19.5 i bought them off a 2004 f550, i was going to adapt the rims to my truck. but after measuring them they were the same height as my 235/85/16s. i need more height. mike
I saw the add in the classifieds. Was tempted, but didn't find the pattern correct. I am not looking for much in the height department, but I really want the longevity and load capacity, plus I think the 19.5 rim with the low profile tire looks better than my 235/85R16 on 16 inch rims. I really like my truck, and if I can get the equivelant run of three sets of tires or more from one set of 19.5's, then it is money well spent.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:58 AM

19.5's are on! Some side-to-side movement as the tires wear in, but I am happy so far... The GM wheels bolted right up! I do not notice any clearance problems. The tires are actually better fitting in the wheel wells, especially the rear, than the tires on the factory rims!

I went with:

1. GM 19.5 8x6.5 dually rims from GM P30 stepvans
2. Hankook DH01 Super Traction drive tires, all positions
3. Innovative Balancing Dyna Beads balancing system
4. Reused Dodge 2-piece lugnuts & factory center caps

Pictures are coming, when film gets developed!

Quick Reply: Dually Rims