Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

DTT vs. Goerend

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmissions

I have also thought about that one but also added Piers transmissions to the mix. When it all comes down to warrenty that is what I wonted. I really like DTT transmissions but the 100k warrenty and no time line is hard to pass on. So I will drive it untill it fails or I find a better deal. Also every year I pass the transmission build get better and in all fairness like the IE input shafts which are, probably the best out there, just keep getting better. SO if I wait until I need a transmission there will probably be better parts out there. It will cost more but you get better parts. I will just wait untill my transmission fails. Good luck Jim
Old 09-01-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is an "IE" input shaft?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:08 PM

I got started with a DTT tranny when my first 2000 CTD had around 450 HP....... The truck ran great and the DTT tranny did its job. Well then I decided that my truck didn't have enough power so I stepped it up a little, well more like 250 more HP. The original DTT tranny held over 750 HP with no problems. This is from a transmission designed to hold 450 HP!

Soon the 2000 model truck was replaced with an 2001 model and of course an upgraded DTT tranny went into this truck prior to getting 1000 miles on it. This truck was abused for 2 years and when I sold it it had made over 900 uncorrected RWHP! The tranny is still in the truck and is holding together with no problems, even through the new owners abuse

Currently my wifes 2002 truck is equipped with a DTT tranny and is a 600+ HP horse hauler. This truck is driven all the time and pulls horse trailers like there is nothing hooked behind the truck.

All of the above DTT Trans worked flawlessly! I would recommend DTT to anybody that is considering a transmission upgrade.

Doug
Old 09-01-2005, 05:27 PM

Honestly BB, you're not gonna hear anybody say anything bad about either one. Each have their loyal fans. The DTT guys don't wanna think they spent too much for what they got, and the Goerend guys want to think that their trans compares favorably with what is arguably the best transmission you can put behind a Cummins. You can't go wrong either way.

I know a very few people have had problems with both but nobody wants to talk about them for fear of getting flamed for making the "wrong" choice.

Bottom line is if it's mechanical, it can fail. So that leaves you with how well the builder stands behind their product. Kind of a wash there too, we know both of them stand behind their work.

Bill doesn't, that I have heard, specify a HP limit for his trans. Dave doesn't either, but above a certain HP he will recommend billet input and intermediate shafts. Below that HP, he'll talk you out of them.

Both know the 47R trans inside, outside, and upside down. All that's left then is cost. If YOU feel justified in spending the difference, and YOU feel you got your money's worth when it's all said and done, then you made the right choice.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Banned

Very well said cowhand. That right there just about pushed me over the edge to go with goerend but I'm still debating. I guess I've got about 3 months to figure out who I want to go with. Keep the stuff flowing yall. It's helping.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Banned

shaft

Originally posted by Mcmopar
I.E. Billet Shafts, Sorry I should have been clearer, Jim
Old 09-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Chapter President

I think you would be happy with either one. I went with Goerend because of cost and Dave would work with my builder. I had a local shop (my cousin) build my tranny. I have a single disc TC and shift kit from Goerend. I love the way it shifts, nice and clean does not take a breath. The TC does a nice job of getting the power to the ground, but I know I don't have much power to get to the ground.

Paul
Old 09-01-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Mcmopar
IE stands for Intelligent Engineering.

The owner of the company takes great pride in his parts, they are the strongest available and of course 100 percent made in the USA.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by joefarmer
>425hp, DTT
<425hp, Goerend

JMHO,
brandno.
Goerend has trannys in trucks making over 600hp.

Have yet to hear of ANY complaints about Goerend tranny from ACTUAL customers. I have put ~10k miles on mine so far. Absolutely flawless. You won't be disappointed.

Never been in a DTT equipped truck yet.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Banned

transmission

Originally posted by BigBlue
Very well said cowhand. That right there just about pushed me over the edge to go with goerend but I'm still debating. I guess I've got about 3 months to figure out who I want to go with. Keep the stuff flowing yall. It's helping.
Cowhand said that one as good as I have heard also. I have to also add that with fuel prices at 3.00 dollors a gallon on more I dont need a 750 hp truck to drive. My pockets are not that deep, wish they were. I for sure now are going to take it easy on the throttle now, unless the need for speed is there.
I remember when I was told to just buy a new transmission, complete, add a converter, and a valve body. Transmission parts have made great improvements since I started looking. Good luck on what ever you choose as I cant see how you can go wrong. Just be glad you have a choice and not some one that builds stock transmission, and a 6 month warrenty. Jim
Old 09-01-2005, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by bmoeller
Goerend has trannys in trucks making over 600hp.

Have yet to hear of ANY complaints about Goerend tranny from ACTUAL customers. I have put ~10k miles on mine so far. Absolutely flawless. You won't be disappointed.

Never been in a DTT equipped truck yet.
I've heard complaints about both, I may listen too much. The reason I gave the numbers before is because of how the internals are setup for each tranny. Here's my (possibly faulty) reasoning. I believe more surface area is required for holding the torque in the 3rd gear and the O/D section when the 425 level is exceeded. I know one member here who was in the 500 range with a brand-G tranny and may as well have had his transmission mounted on a quick release due to the number of times his broke. He constantly found the next weakest link. To Dave's credit, he quickly replaced all broken parts under his excellent warranty (try getting that from brand-A). Still, I can't help but wonder if this member would have kept his truck if his trans would have stayed together. There are other members here that have done the same thing.

FWIW, I've recommended my own father to Dave. Dave spoke with my dad for a hour and he hasn't seen a dime yet. Also, I'll let you guess what transmission I have in the '98.4.

brandon.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: DTT vs. Goerend

Originally posted by BigBlue
Well, I should be at about 300hp but according to the dyno I'm only at 260 so I don't know.

Brandon, why are you saying goerends is only good to 425? You can PM me if you want to.

Haha if you should be at 300hp than I guess that puts me at 325hp.

But on to the tranny part. I will go with a Goerends as soon as mine starts slipping real bad.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Banned

I thought you were planning on doing a DTT?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:34 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
BB I'd try to manage to get to drive a truck with a tranny from each vendor. Preferably these trucks should be at the same power level. I feel that with an investment of this size a good deal of research is going to pay off. I feel it's hard to describe how a tranny shifts and it's even harder to compare the descriptions of different people how they feel their trannies work. I'd say even if it costs you 500$ to do test drives with both it's money well spent.

AlpineRAM
Old 09-02-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I thought you were planning on doing a DTT?
No I have been wanting a Goerends since last December.

Quick Reply: DTT vs. Goerend