Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

DTT or ATS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTT or ATS?

ok what does everyone think and I don want a Transmission war I jest want honest opinions and facts I am looking at ether the full DTT Transmission or the ATS high performance Transmission with the triple lock commander what does everyone think
Old 09-08-2005, 10:00 PM

There are already tons of threads on building auto trannys....never heard any real complaints about DTT, Gorends Bros, or Suncoast...

ATS is another story...heard a few complaints. I guess what Im saying is, do your homework - these builds are EXPENSIVE and you should only have to do it once.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Banned

Read my thread on DTT vs. Goerend. Lots of good, factual information on both of them. I ended up going with DTT because they have just been around longer and proven with high (read 600+) horsepower trucks. Goerend is a great tranny and I've never heard a single complaint about them. Dave really knows his stuff and is a heckuva guy to boot. You also can't beat his warranty. I've heard horror stories about ATS and suncoast (more ATS than suncoast) so I didn't even consider them.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by isissound
ok what does everyone think and I don want a Transmission war I jest want honest opinions and facts I am looking at ether the full DTT Transmission or the ATS high performance Transmission with the triple lock commander what does everyone think
I have an ATS stage IV with the commander... I don't know about the horror stories but mine has been flawless for 30K miles. Don't have any personal experience with the other builders but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Banned

PM got....DIESEL? he'll tell you a thing or two about ATS, there's another guy on here that has had the same experiences
Old 09-23-2005, 09:32 PM

In my 2000 2500 I went DTT, in the 97 3500 dump I went Goerend.
If I ever need another auto it will only be DTT. Thats just my experience and opinion. A great friend has ATS and its a good one too.

So its really all about your builder. Which is closer and who can give you the best support if needed. Either way you will be happy.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isissound

Agree!...Having someone close is a big plus, unless your a tranny mechanic.

Based on many reports on this site (no personal expirience with them)...you have a great DTT installer in your state. Mass Diesel...I think?

I have had exceptional good luck with my DTT (full rebuild)...have no need to consider others. Not a hiccup, going from stock to over 500 hp....when originally purchased to cover my plans for 350 hp max. Over 60K on it to date.

Good Luck!

RJ
Old 09-18-2006, 08:46 PM

Don't do ATS - after 6 new ones (each one failing) we finally had to buy "another" manufacturer's transmission (and to date, have had no problems with the new manufactuer's tranny) Still battling it out with ATS for reimbursement
Old 09-18-2006, 10:01 PM

I can tell you that my trans builder saw an add in a magazine where ATS washed the electronics instead of buying all new and ATS was bragging how much money it was saving them.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally when I built my trans with Dave Goerends help I didn't install "new" electronics. If they ain't broke, why fix em?

IF you have someone local that is a "dealer" for DTT or Goerend that is a plus. Having someone available nearby is worth quite a bit.

I have a couple customers that have had ATS trannies installed in Vegas. They have been satisfied. I did however have a truck come in some time back that when you put it in gear it damm near died the trans drug it down so hard. It was an ATS. There again, I have no idea what mods were done to it, or what they wanted for an application. I just know that I would not have been happy with it. I like what my Goerend convertor/valve body/assistance has done for my 01.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:33 PM

ATS blows i have one and the overdrive was bad from day one so that cost me 600 bucks from day one ontop of the 3400 and then i was just driving around babing it and the input shaft goes so that was another 1000 bucks
Old 09-19-2006, 07:50 AM

From what I gather, ATS is fat now and does not offer the service that the other trans guys do.

Its too bad because they had been a good company at one point.

I'll be going with DTT some day, hopefully that day is later rather than sooner
Old 09-19-2006, 08:23 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
As others have suggested do your homework. Call and talk to them. I went with DTT and have been a happy camper for the last 80k.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really prefer the Goerend unit, he is the BEST at customer support, he has a GREAT warranty, and his triple is SWEET!!

A lot of folks are bashing ATS, all I can say is that a freind has one, it is a SWEET shifting transmission!! I pulled a gentlemans ATS apart for him to do a "freshening", the insides looked GREAT with 80,000 miles on the ticker at over 468 HP, so you should probably do your own homework.

I have witnessed horrific service from one of the vendors that has been touted as good here so I think it is fair to say that they all have their good days and bad.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:59 AM

I'll be going with DTT...I like what I see, and I have ridden in 3 DTT equipped trucks, one running an 11.80, one a 12.71, and another one. The way these trannies act and hold power is exactly what I'm looking for!

Depending on your power goals, I might suggest Dave Goerand though...under 450hp or so, I would go Dave...above that, DTT. Dave Customer Service and Warranty are second to none, but I'd rather not use the warranty unless I have to...IMHO!

Chris

BTW, I realize no vendor is without troubles...but at 600+hp, I think DTT is the best tranny for my driving style...shooting for 12.00 sec in a 7500lb truck with #2!

Quick Reply: DTT or ATS?