Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Do I have to unplug the Edge EZ to test?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I have to unplug the Edge EZ to test?

I want to run my truck for a little while without the Edge.

Can I just pull the jumper out of the box instead of unwiring it?

I have trouble getting to the plug towrd the firewall. I must be too fat or short or it is my carpal tunnel . I just can't quite get that one.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Leave the MAP sensor plug in place (the one behind the manifold towards the fire wall.

Just unplug the lower CANBUS plug (down below the fuel filter canister towards the drivers motor mount.

The MAP plug will still allow the EZ to act as a boost fooler but with the other one unplugged, you will not get any timing or fueling changes.

I run mine all the time as a boost fooler only, been doing it for years and no problems to speak of.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 PM

Thanks!

I want to run it without the Edge because my fuel mileage just isn't what it used to be. Truck only has 138,435 miles on it and nothing has been changed. It used to get about 18 MPG pulling my boat and now it is down to 16. This is the same load and same route as always.

Do the boxes go bad? What are the symptoms?

My cruise control just started acting up too. It wants to surge a bit. I wonder if that is related to the poor MPG.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:21 PM

I think if the EZ went bad you'd have driveability issues, but if you do as Homestead says you will effectively turn the EZ "off".
Did your mileage drop suddenly or was it graduallly getting worse?

maybe you should do the key on/off trick to pull codes, a failing VP can seriously affect mileage, a 0216 code is a sign of a failing VP that is wore out and cant achieve its desired timing, that will also affect mileage.

something else to think about, winter fuel should be coming out soon, and it will definiately result in lower mileage as well, my truck sees 60-70 miles less to the tank in the winter
Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 AM

If you unplug the EZ and just leave the MAP sensor plugged in, the EZ is off, there is no timing or fuel changes to your truck. Other than it being a boost fooler, your truck will be "stock"

Mileage changes can vary with probably the most common being a plugged or dirty fuel filter.

A VP on the way out will show some drive ability issues as well as mileage change. The drive ability changes will be slight but if you know your truck, you should or have noticed something.

Have you ever cleaned your IAT sensor? Some do and some don't but mileage can change between different trucks. My truck doesn't gain or lose mileage with a dirty IAT but it does run noticeably better when it's clean.

Boost leaks themselves can be a cause of mileage changes as well performance changes, however a small or slight leak will not be noticeable on the performance side. The 2nd Gen trucks are well known for cracking the lower passenger side of the inter cooler from frame flex. I know this from experience. A change in your boost readings via your gage should also be an indication of a problem

Make yourself a simple boost leak checker, the pic below is what I did. About $20 worth of plumbing stuff from Home Depot.

Pull your inter cooler connection off at the air horn and cap it, add a little pressure through the checker and listen, you will hear it if you have a leak. A little soap in a spray bottle goes a long way in finding a suspected leak also.

I have gotten into the habit of snugging up all the clamps at every oil change.

And as nickg mentioned, winter fuel makes a difference as well. I have already experience a drop in mileage because of all the cold weather we have been having in our parts lately.

Your cruise acting up, I'm not sure. The 6 speed trucks have electronic cruise control. If you have surging while not using cruise and then the surge goes away when the cruise is on, I would lean towards the APPS on it's way out. Surge while using it, that's a tough one because the only thing taken out of the loop is the APPS while it's on.

I know lot's of guys on this board are concerned about fuel mileage and don't get me wrong, I am too. But honestly, I don't care what my miles per gallon is, I'm concerned about how far a tank of fuel goes in total.

There is a plus and minus to it but my truck goes x amount of miles (kilometers in my case) per tank almost every time. 50 to 60 kilometers per tank is about my +/- fudge factor. If I notice that I'm 100 kilometers or more under my "normal" per tank mileage, I start to look or figure out why is that. Did I change something? Did I have a bit of a play day and "get on it" a few times? Did I tow something a little heavier than normal? etc, etc, etc. Usually it's me but on occasion it has been something on the truck itself.

With a bit of investigating, your drop should be easy to find. I would check the most common and simplest things first and eliminate as you go.

I'll sit down now.

Jeff