Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Differences in new fuel boxes

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences in new fuel boxes

The talk on the boards is that new boxes are in the works.
I have read the new boxes will have more timing and duration.
Well, what does that mean? It's going to advance the timing more, or maby more timing control? Duration? Means it will pulse the injectors longer?
Anyone have any idea what exactly the new boxes will do compared to the ones out now?
What exactly are these boxes controlling? Fuel and timing curves? Anything else? Do these boxes stop the ECM from going into the defuel mode due to too much manifold pressure?
Some state the boxes will put a code into the ECM that only the dealer can remove. WHat is the code number? And where is it hidden? I have the laptop with Cummins software. I own a diesel shop. But I have never seen a screen for hidden codes. Maybe it is in the Dodge ECM?
I want a box that increases part throttle performance as well as full throttle performance. Not just full throttle performance. I don't use full throttle very often. I use part throttle all the time. Any of these boxes made for that?
Any idea when these new boxes will start coming out?
Old 09-30-2003, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Differences in new fuel boxes

I wonder the same things. From what I've heard dodge won't be able to read them but cummins will. It's interesting you don't see anything.
By the way I'm in Iron Mountain, not to many U.P. guys around.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Differences in new fuel boxes

[quote author=Rolngthun link=board=7;threadid=20338;start=0#msg190885 date=1064920697]
Some state the boxes will put a code into the ECM that only the dealer can remove. WHat is the code number? And where is it hidden? I have the laptop with Cummins software. I own a diesel shop. But I have never seen a screen for hidden codes. Maybe it is in the Dodge ECM?
[/quote]

From what I've read it's not a "code" per se, but the changes in the fueling and timing levels that throws up a flag.
The guys that work on Cummins day in and day out might see and recognize the changes, but the Dodge mechanic who works on one Cummins a week still might not know what to look for, even if his scanner can see it.

The previous Dodge software didn't care to see these parameters, so previously they couldn't detect the boxes.
Supposedly the Cummins software sees the changes, therefore the trace of the box.

To me it is still something you have to make an effort to look for, it doesn't just show up.

phox