3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new lower HP boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new lower HP boxes?

With the advances in pulse-width and timing Edge and TST are making with the new 150 HP boxes - will they use this technology to produce a new 80 hp box? Seems like it would be better on the fuel system and perform better overall versus what they have now in the lower HP boxes. I don't particulary care to run a 150hp box because I'd have to change my turbo and clutch ($$$$$$) and still couldn't tow anything on that setting. I'm not a racer but I want to tow with the highest HP setting and still retain my stock turbo.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:18 PM

Re:new lower HP boxes?

If their is a lower 80 or 100 hp setting that would be good along with ability to program the max EGT you would allow. I e-mailed TST a few days ago asking them about the use of the 150 hp setting with stock exhaust, airbox, and turbo. This is the reply I got - intersting comments about exhaust and airboxes.

TST - "At 150 extra horsepower the egt's are extreme, thus useable only for a few seconds at a time, like street/drag racing or sled pulling. About 80 hp is the most that can be used and still have safe continuous exhaust temperatures.

There is a lot of hype in the aftermarket as we have done extensive testing on previous Rams from 89 to 02 and have not found any benefit at all (no power gains or temperature reduction) to larger air filters, different air pickup locations, or larger exhaust. We plan to do similar testing on the common rail engine but based on previous experience, have very little confidence in these alterations helping any.

Larger turbos can help reduce egts at high engine speeds such that one might pickup an additional 25 to 50 usable hp but at the sacrifice of low rpm spool up and turbo durability. We have some new turbos to test and hope to offer some in the first quarter of next year."
Old 12-19-2003, 09:05 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Re:new lower HP boxes?

[quote author=deere nut link=board=49;threadid=23973;start=0#msg226201 date=1071803921]
TST - "At 150 extra horsepower the egt's are extreme, thus useable only for a few seconds at a time, like street/drag racing or sled pulling. About 80 hp is the most that can be used and still have safe continuous exhaust temperatures.
[/quote]

Ahhhh, the Mark Chapple line that I beat him up about whenever I get the chance. One thing that TST fails to mention is that their results were garnered from dyno testing, not real world tests where airboxes and exhaust systems will reduce EGTs (if not HP), sometimes by a substantial amount.

As for the lower HP setting box, I doubt you'll see a 80 HP box come out with the injection pulse width. The cost to manufacture the box would be same as the standard 150 HP box. So, buy the 150 HP box, and crank the power down

Rod