Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Did i kill my vp44 or just paranoid? A little long, please read!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Did i kill my vp44 or just paranoid? A little long, please read!

I love my truck but its just been one thing after another since I got it in may.

First off I lost the vp44 2 months ago replaced it and then the LP ruptured, replaced with the "campaign" pump and new filter. switched from edge-ez to juice/attitude 2 weeks after that. A week later I start getting a fuel pressure alarm cruising down the freeway @ 55 unloaded saying my PSI was 4-3 then it would bounce back to normal 10-12 then down then up. Local diesel guys "TOXIC DIESEL" (The most horrible customer service ever, avoid!!!) tell me that 5 psi is okay and they wont get me a nep LP even though its under warranty. I fight with them they tell me its my sending unit, a quick call to edge unveils a way to check that, unit/module check out.

So they put a mechanical gauge on my dash. Lost the clutch that weekend (original 141,xxx it was time ) then a week later in the middle of my run (120miles round trip) FP drops to 0 and barely comes off the peg @ idle. I drove it the 60 miles back home because I had to be to work at my day job....
New campaign pump that night, FP looks good 14-15 @ idle 8 @ wot. Coming home today pressure was barely keeping 7 @ 65 on the freeway juice on level 1 unloaded.

Im thinking running that 60 miles with a dead LP may have hurt the new VP Even with the juice on level 5 and low boost fueling all the way up it doesnt smoke nearly as much as when the juice was first added.....
Old 09-24-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not sure. Yeah the no pressure situation probaby hurt it a bit but they can last a while with out pressure if it is corrected and is given good pressure. I wouldnt worry too much about it. maybe check your codes if you have a reader or borrow one. If it doesnt dead pedal or run poorly you should be ok for a while.... hopefully! I wish you well with it nontheless. Hope this helps some...
Trevor
Old 09-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do yourself a favor and get a pusher pump. Bully dog, FASS or what ever.
i would not rely on the crummy LP alone. Keep the Juice in ez mode until you get the FP up.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:50 PM

Is there any way to retrieve trouble codes without a scanner on the 99? Only people I know of that have one is the guys that run the earlier mentioned diesel shop. Their incompetence worries me!!! They couldnt even hook up their fuel gauge and keep it from leeking, i wonder if they could pull codes on my truck.... It worth a shot I guess.

I'll keep it in #1 setting till I get things figured out I run in #1 95% of the time as I am a courier on the weekends and I need all the MPG I can get. I am going to order the blue chip pump cover tomorrow (wish I would have know about these 5 weeks ago!)

Ive been thinking about adding a holley blue, how high of pressure can the VP take?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned

Well i just went through the fue lpsi thing, I also have the same setup on my 02, if you dont have a pusher pump, i would not even run it on 1 run it in the stock mode if you are having that much trouble. I put in a pro-comp pump(same as holley blue,just 50.00 cheaper) back by my tank,it works perfect now. You will have to trim the spring a little in the pump when you put it on as it puts to much pressure on the vp with it and the stock lp(40 psi at idle) mine does 25+ now and doesn't get below17 st wot. Iv heard that any thing abouve 30 psi is not good for the vp44 as it will eventually crack the diaphram in the pump. Good luck and let us know what you find out. If you allready tapped the pump dont bother with the cover,if the pump is under warranty they will almost find the tap if you also use the cover.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by caleb
I love my truck but its just been one thing after another since I got it in may.

First off I lost the vp44 2 months ago replaced it and then the LP ruptured, replaced with the "campaign" pump and new filter. switched from edge-ez to juice/attitude 2 weeks after that. A week later I start getting a fuel pressure alarm cruising down the freeway @ 55 unloaded saying my PSI was 4-3 then it would bounce back to normal 10-12 then down then up. Local diesel guys "TOXIC DIESEL" (The most horrible customer service ever, avoid!!!) tell me that 5 psi is okay and they wont get me a nep LP even though its under warranty. I fight with them they tell me its my sending unit, a quick call to edge unveils a way to check that, unit/module check out.

So they put a mechanical gauge on my dash. Lost the clutch that weekend (original 141,xxx it was time ) then a week later in the middle of my run (120miles round trip) FP drops to 0 and barely comes off the peg @ idle. I drove it the 60 miles back home because I had to be to work at my day job....
New campaign pump that night, FP looks good 14-15 @ idle 8 @ wot. Coming home today pressure was barely keeping 7 @ 65 on the freeway juice on level 1 unloaded.

Im thinking running that 60 miles with a dead LP may have hurt the new VP Even with the juice on level 5 and low boost fueling all the way up it doesnt smoke nearly as much as when the juice was first added.....

Read this:
http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/inject...pfailures.html
Old 09-24-2006, 07:36 PM

good info, read that lastnight, thats what got me thinking this morning that I may have done some damage to it running the 60 or so miles with a crapped out LP..... It starts and runs great, just doesnt seem to have the umph that it did when I first added the juice...

Im going to add a pusher pump and then see where I sit!