Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

DD clutch to big? does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DD clutch to big? does it matter?

my truck is some what stock. i JUST put a new vp44 pump in my truck the other one didnt fail but the wires were touching when i tryed to tap into it for my new edge comp box. the pump had 180k miles on it so i just got a new one. bought stealth cover this time have not even fired it up yet still got to bleed the lines. but anyways my question is what clutch should i get i doubt a stock clutch will old a comp box. does it matter how big of a clutch you get? will it hurt something if you go to big?
Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by tvnoober
my truck is some what stock. i JUST put a new vp44 pump in my truck the other one didnt fail but the wires were touching when i tryed to tap into it for my new edge comp box. the pump had 180k miles on it so i just got a new one. bought stealth cover this time have not even fired it up yet still got to bleed the lines. but anyways my question is what clutch should i get i doubt a stock clutch will old a comp box. does it matter how big of a clutch you get? will it hurt something if you go to big?
A DD clutch will allow you to go bigger without losing too much in street manners. Basically you double the clutch surface so plate pressures do not have to be so high. They do come with some negatives though, the shifting is not as fast, and they typically are a bit noisier.

I would advise you to either call Peter at South Bend or Dan at Valair and have them give you their best advise for your particular situation.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Yes, call Southbend and Valair and ask them what would be best for your truck and what you have in mind because yes, you can over-clutch your vehicle.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hated daily driving with DD clutches in my old truck. Then again it was a 12v with twins and made 700 so I had no choice, but still hated driving. It's not the end all to end all...it will wear out in it's own way too. I had to change throwout bearings once a year, and eventually wore out an 1-3/8 input shaft by wearing notchy grooves into it, and another DD wore out some of the diaphragm springs.
If I were only doing a >350hp truck, it would stay single.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:03 PM

I'd put that number higher than 350hp for a single disc. I am on my second organic HD Valair with at least 400hp at the flywheel (I guesstimate about 430hp). Zero compromise to that point as long as you have the 13" clutch.

Dodge Cummins 6 Speed Performance Clutches

Past that, you'll start slipping the clutch if you don't go to exotic materials for the friction disc- ceramic, kevlar or metallic buttons will hold more, but are grabby and less friendly for towing. But with that compromise you can get to 600hp on a single disc, and some of them are measurably lighter for faster shifting.

I would *never* get the stock style clutch. They use puny skinny sheet metal riveted onto the main hub assly and this paper thin sheet metal WILL wrinkle before the clutch slips. Once this happens, the clutch drags and you can't shift gears. The HD spring hub disc is like $50 more and you'll never have this happen. IIRC they both use the same pressure plate, it's just a strength issue.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Consider the SBC OKHD. Smooth,silent and good for 425 hp. Available at the store here.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I have 3 S.B.C. Con OFEs in 3 of my Cummins trucks, and a S.B.C. Con O in another.
One of the Con OFEs has been in there for 7 years and 110,xxx miles, mostly towing a 10,000 trailer with an Edge with Juice set at level 4, which is pretty far from stock.

I will be ordering two more from Lary at the DTR store for my '95 12V D.D. when it needs a clutch, and my project Ramcharger.

I would vote for a strong single judging from you signature.
I tow often and a Double disk is over-kill and less fun to drive for what I do.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I have 3 S.B.C. Con OFEs in 3 of my Cummins trucks, and a S.B.C. Con O in another.
One of the Con OFEs has been in there for 7 years and 110,xxx miles, mostly towing a 10,000 trailer with an Edge with Juice set at level 4, which is pretty far from stock.

I will be ordering two more from Lary at the DTR store for my '95 12V D.D. when it needs a clutch, and my project Ramcharger.

I would vote for a strong single judging from you signature.
I tow often and a Double disk is over-kill and less fun to drive for what I do.
I talked to a guy at south bend he said just go with the 3250 dd clutch. I'd like to get more power out of my truck just don't know where to start. Want bigger injectors like 150 but don't know what brands are good. Would like around 500hp.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Guys, just so you know, Lary has shut down the store, he decided it was time to retire.

Good run, but now we have to go beat up another vendor for discounts......and service like Lary gave.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:05 AM

Well that is great for Lary that he retired, but I did enjoy chatting with him when I needed parts. He helped me, by getting stuff out quickly more than once.

I guess I'll call up SBC directly for the next few clutches.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:28 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tvnoober
I talked to a guy at south bend he said just go with the 3250 dd clutch. I'd like to get more power out of my truck just don't know where to start. Want bigger injectors like 150 but don't know what brands are good. Would like around 500hp.
"A guy" @ SBC recommended the 3250 DD for me also. Peter himself had another recommendation. He returned my call promptly and we spoke for quite awhile.
I've driven a 3250 DD and it's overkill for my needs.
High hp guys and for those who tow,they're unbeatable.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Danderson
"A guy" @ SBC recommended the 3250 DD for me also. Peter himself had another recommendation. He returned my call promptly and we spoke for quite awhile.
Funny, I thought the same thing when I read that.

I am still thinking a big single will be plenty, unless sled pulling, 4WD boosted drag strip launches and such are in your future plans.

I would drive a truck with a DD clutch first before buying one.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Funny, I thought the same thing when I read that.

I am still thinking a big single will be plenty, unless sled pulling, 4WD boosted drag strip launches and such are in your future plans.

I would drive a truck with a DD clutch first before buying one.
I have driven a couple. Sister's husband has a common rail with the same clutch as the guy at south bend recommended. Feels good I like it.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:03 PM

I have a 3850 dd 12 button ceramic from valair and I love this clutch. It does not slip and takes getting used to. Besides the noise the only down side is when backing a heavy trailer but with some practice it can be done or just put it in 4x4 low and it works fine. I am not pushing a lot of hp now but have a 64mm and 200 sticks to come.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:27 PM

I have had a Valair DD clutch with 3850lb plate pressure and 1.375" input shaft installed for the last 4 months and have put about 5,000 miles on it. I will be in the 450hp range once I get aftermarket injectors and a different tuner, so I needed the DD clutch. I was pretty dissapointed with how it drove initially. I usually can't get into 1st at a dead stop without going into 3rd first. I have to double clutch to get into reverse. This has improved as I've driven the truck more. After about 4000 miles I did a tranny fluid change and installed the FAST tranny coolers, and the shifting manners are a little better. I'm pretty used to it now, and I still enjoy driving the truck, it just took some time.

Quick Reply: DD clutch to big? does it matter?