Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

are cummins owners liars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
xtoyz17 and TheBigNasty:

You guys both bring up good points about this thread! After reading
through all the posts from the members I could see how some could go "either
way" reference to what DTR Member "lews930" has said.
--------
John_P
Old 02-01-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well for all you STOCKERS out there he is in the performance part of dtr..so most likey he is looking for performance...some people like a little more ***** than an "actual sports car"
Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 PM

I don't want to post a stupid answer, but I thought I'd better ask: Did you block the wastegate on the turbo? If not then there is a big problem right there... Just thought i'd throw it out there! Cheers and good luck with the "BUG"!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:06 AM

good comments from all of you, thank you. first, the 930 is not stock, bigger turbo, intercooler, exhaust, machine work, need I go on? a BIG thanks to 88 BIRD who happened to be in the area and needed to get some oil on his hands. I met him and in about an hour he had the 4k gsk installed. TST sent the wrong one It sure perks up the motor now we're getting somewhere! having made just a few mistakes in my life I want to do the tranny thing correct. I decide when to shift a manual hence the desire for one. not bad mouthing the auto, as most of you agree it will haul if built correctly.

Hopefully this will calm the feathers that I ruffled. Forgive me for I know not what I do

the elbow should be here today and will install it as soon as I can getit out of the package it comes in. I will give an update then.

thanks again

lewis
Old 02-02-2007, 01:13 PM

I would race that Porsche! Heck Ill even make the drive to FL and lay down a grand for first place!

I would definately give Goerands a call about your auto tranny. I layed down 832HP with one of his trannies and it is still running strong. It helps that hes my neighbor too!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:05 PM

My elbow and a new overflow valve showed up today and you guessed it, less than 20 minutes later they were installed. I have not had time to run it to see what she does but tomorrow morning we shall see.

My buddy who owns a salvage yard has located a 1 ton 4x4 5 speed in a salvage auction. hopefully we can get it next week. Should be able to get the whole truck for what the Goerands would run. I'm going to take that road right now. I will report tomorrow evening after my trip home.

Is there anything else I should do to the intake,fuel system,turbo,exhaust to make this thing run? Tranny issues aside.

lewis

lewis
Old 02-02-2007, 08:26 PM

lews930.
Just wanted to let you know that my hat is off to you for owning one of the finest looking cars ever built. When I first started my machine shop there was a Porsche repair shop 2 doors down. One of the guys did tune ups on the turbo cars on weekends only. I loved the look and the sound of them. Tell the guy to bring his 800 hp Dodge to the track any time. Never saw a diesel truck on a road race course, but if he's willing to put up the money and make the trip, take some pictures. Keep the power to it in the corners!!

RonA
Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lews930
a BIG thanks to 88 BIRD who happened to be in the area and needed to get some oil on his hands. I met him and in about an hour he had the 4k gsk installed. lewis
No Problem glad i could help.... nothing like intalling a GSK kit in a DTR members truck in a Hotel parking lot @ 10PM.... anywho.... do something about that tranny and you'll really be impressed.... also bump that timing and she'll git-r-done..... untill the crappy tranny decides it dosen't like it....
Old 02-03-2007, 07:31 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If you get the 5 speed make shure that you do address the 5th gear nut while it's out on the bench. A good clutch will be needed too. Then you can get hed studs, twin tubos, DVs etc.

AlpineRAM
Old 02-03-2007, 08:53 AM

Yes. Definitely do something about the 5th gear issue while its out of the truck. Mine came off about 2 hours from home so it wasn't too big of a problem since I could still drive it, I just had no 5th gear. I used the kit from Dodge since I really didn't want to get involved in pulling the whole trans out or "rig" it by having the stock nut welded to the shaft. Mine made it 10 years and almost 70,000 miles before it fell off though. Listen to these guys and you'll have a nice truck to pull with, mine is really mild compared to a lot of them but it pulls my race car and trailer like it was a dirtbike trailer back there.

John
Old 02-03-2007, 09:00 AM

I applied a little right pedal while en route to an appointment this am and the egt still was off the chart. it easily goes to red 1200*. now what? Or should I expect the egt to go there? I only ran the the engine to 3K. no need to go higher with stock valve springs and egt going balistic.

should I adjust the elbow? it has some sort of set screw inside of it. I assume that turning the screw in will close the orifice keeping the waste gate closed. Correct? or not?

lewis
Old 02-03-2007, 09:07 AM

How much boost did it make this time? You will have to play with the little allen screw till you are holding 35 psi on a hard run then you will have the air you need. How much was a little right pedal?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dieselrob
How much was a little right pedal?
ya i can give mine a little pedal and never see over 1000* and it pulls perty hard.... slide that plate back to the stock position and don't be afraid to let it get a little toasty.... just don't let it stay there very long.....
Old 02-03-2007, 11:15 AM

I didnt slide the plate. I left it in the stock position.. Should I slide it back some?

lewis
Old 02-03-2007, 11:17 AM

It approaches 30 psi. dont know what comes first, 30 psi or 1200 degrees.
I pay more attention to the egt gauge

lewis

Quick Reply: are cummins owners liars?