Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cool diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool diagnostic tool

This could probably go in the Towing section also.

I finally found a cheap wireless rearview mirror camera the other day and finally got to play with it a bit today. This little guy is in full color, has about a 2.5 inch LCD screen and the camera is about 3/4 inch in diameter in a mount that fits the bolt spacing that holds your license plate on. I will mount it on the rear top of my trailer but thought we could use it in other ways also.

This unit is wireless, all you need to do is hook up a power and a ground to the camera and the same to the screen unit. We just stuck the screen unit on the dash and using about a 30 ft power cable, decided to mount the camera under the truck and see what happens. Well, the driveshaft spins, the rear suspension goes up and down, my exhaust system wiggles in the rubber mounts, etc, etc, etc. We even put it under the hood as well as my 12v flourescent mechanics light for a little illumination and proceeded to watch the mighty Cummins do it's thing as we romped down the road.

This thing might come in handy when trying to see where that thump is coming from in the suspension or that something you know is loose but won't do it unless your moving kind of thing.

Plus, it is very cool to see the smoke rolling out of your own exhaust pipe while your hammering it down the road I'll admit I did go back and get another one....one to mount on the trailer and the other to play with

I found it at Wal-Mart for $130 cdn. It is sold by VR-3 out of New Jersey. The Wal-Mart price of $130 cdn is pretty good considering the VR-3 website sells them online for $139 US. Here is the link so you can see the unit.....

http://www.roadmasterusa.com/backupcamera_vr3.php

The unit I picked up is model #VRBCS300WCA but is identical in looks to the one at the top of the page, model VRBCS300W. I'm going to assume the "CA" in the number refers to Canada.

Just thought I'd pass my findings along, maybe someone might be intersted in it.

Jeff
Old 12-22-2006, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw them at Wal Mart about 2 weeks ago. They were about $98 here. Started to buy wifie one for her new Durango as she has back into stationary objects (like poles) with her last 2 vehicles. Picture wasn't too good in the store so didn't know how well it would work. May have to check into it more. Might help hooking up to a trailer too.