Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

computer chip

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking computer chip

OK, i'm a newbee on the forum, and as a dodge diesel owner. I have the 3500 series, turbo, 24 valve, 6 speed stick. It's a 2001 in new like condition and i'm fairly sure its not the dreaded #53 block. My question is ( and i may be on the wrong thread is ) where does one find the chip to make the diesel get more mpg ? How much ? Can it harm your engine in anyway ? I seem to be getting 18 around town and 16 on highway @ 75 mph . This old man has a fairly heavy foot,lol.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:34 AM

Here is a great place to start: http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/ Your question as to how much depends on the unit you want. As far as hurting your engine, YEP. ALL programmers can hurt your truck. IF you want to put one on you need to have some guages (EGT,BOOST, FUEL PRESSURE).
Tom
Old 12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Banned

Welcome to the DTR!! Get ready to do lots of reading, cuz there is some major knowledge to absorb!!

As to you questions, there are lots of different options for you.....just depends on what exactly you are looking to gain. If you are looking for just plain mileage and not worried about power, a Hypertech Programmer would be your cheapest option. It has different settings for mileage or performance and is pretty easy on your truck without having to worry about breakin' stuff.

Now if your looking for performance, there are the Edge chips, TST, Bully Dog, MAD ECM..........but then you start losing mileage with those because they are mainly for all out performance.

Once you start juicing her up, you aren't going to want to stop.........it's a nasty addiction that EVERY SINGLE person on here suffers from. We should have our own addiction class to attend

Once again welcome!!! If you have any questions, just ask, these guys on here are awesome!!!

~Nick
Old 12-28-2005, 01:53 PM

MnTom is right. get gauges first!

do some searching and learn what are good/cautious/bad readings that will be seen on each of the gauges. no sense in getting them if you dont know what your limits are...

18 in town and 16 on the highway @ 75mph is pretty darn good for a dually. most improvements for mileage come from the driver's foot. the chips can help IF you can control your foot, and it doesnt sound like you can
Old 12-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pgilles
18 in town and 16 on the highway @ 75mph is pretty darn good for a dually. most improvements for mileage come from the driver's foot. the chips can help IF you can control your foot, and it doesnt sound like you can

Yeah that fuel mileage is pretty decent, I wouldn't complain to much about that especially for having a dually. I always laugh when they claim mileage improvements with Chips..........hmmmmm ok well what is the point of buying a chip if you're not going to use the power???

If you drive senseable and keep outta the boost, then you'll get some decent mileage................but what is the fun of that!?!?!?! Waste of a perfectly good turbo LOL

~Nick
Old 12-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your milage is already probably about as as good as you can get. Keep it just below 2K RPM on the highway, and your milage will improve an mpg or two, maybe more.

I have the Edge EZ, and it didn't seem to hurt milage at all...as long as I controlled the skinney pedal. My truck has 170K well maintained miles, but my milage had dropped from around 20 to an overall average of a little less then 18. Earlier this month, I replaced the injectors with RV 275's and now I'm getting over 21 highway with the EZ in the hottest setting and a little over 20 overall with it off. Also, I've had the EZ on for over 60K miles, and it hasn't caused any problems that I know of.