Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Compound turbo kit using stocker

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Compound turbo kit using stocker

I know there are kits made for the other guys but I haven't been able to find a kit that utilises your stock turbo and adds a larger primary. Does this work with the HX35? I need to have quick spooling as this truck is a daily tow machine in the city stop and go. I was hoping I could do this to keep some of the cost down as this is not going to be a huge HP monster. But I would like an all day towable 400hp or so. What do you guys think?
Old 05-23-2015, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a couple links for you.

Compound "Twin" Turbo Kits

1994 - 2002 Dodge 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbo Kit
plus if you dont need to buy a full kit they also sell the individual pieces.

that was just an example. if its was 7-8 years ago you would have less choices and places.
now days most big name companies not only will sell twin/compound kits but offer budget kits using the stocker. or offer a modified stock turbo with a kit.

remember just because they dont show it on the website doesn't mean the company does have it. most show what they want the public to buy or show off the latest or greatest etc.

cppdiesel
scheid diesel
industrial injection
dieselautopower
are examples of places to call.

if your really wanting to be frugal and save what you can I would find out what type of kit you would like first then call all places and get prices and see if they offer any discounts. If your Prior Military most do a military discount etc. if you buy a full kit from them discount.
or you can always build a kit over a period of time.

looking on ebay or amazon etc may be good for some of the pieces that support a kit.
a twin kit is a big investment so do the homework and do it right the first time.
also IMO I dont care if a person is not pushing high HP. if you have a twin kit you will be pushing more air than the stock head and bolts were made for.
look into putting on a good set of head studs.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:07 PM

Thanks a lot. I'll be making some calls next week to find out some stuff. And yeah, I'm in the process of finding a shop here that can o-ring the head and I'll put in studs and 60# valve springs.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:52 AM

read read read. i built a set of twins out of a hx35 with a hx52 and a set with a ht3b bothon first gen trucks with ve pump and were awesome if you have the means to do some welding. the sky is the limit get ready for for alot of reading
Old 05-29-2015, 09:46 AM

Should I upgrade the intercooler boots as well? What boost will the stock ones hold before they let go? I don't want to scrimp since I'm ordering other good stuff. But if they don't need to be upgraded then why bother? My towing is mostly city, stop and go (unfortunately) so I need strong boost coming on quick since I want as little smoke as is practically possible. The engine has 100 hp injectors in and I'm getting a mild performance pump built, with middle of the road plate (not sure which one TBH), 4k gsk and timed at 17 degrees. I'm thinking a stocker over s400. Am I missing anything? What psi do you think I will see with this setup? Or what should I see. I don't want to ever have to worry about EGT.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:19 AM

the issues with boots is they split from age, or having good clamps and the boots just blow/split due to pressure. honestly I have seen stock ones go along time at high boost. and I have seen some go and die a short life.
the biggest issue is our fender they start cutting into the boots when the boots expand. check the fender lip. I took channel locks and pulled back the edge on my truck.
you can take tubes off , clean them rough up the edges where the boots seat.
if you do buy new boots look around there is a huge price diff between top name ones and others that are the same layer count and just as good.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:24 AM

Yeah, since I'm spending thousands anyways, I might as well not leave it to chance. Trusting 21 year old boots to save a meager bit of cash is penny wise pound foolish I say.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Any updates on your project?
Old 06-30-2016, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by high bid
Any updates on your project?
I still have the 01 which I haven't really touched, the stock auto is getting tired so that needs a decent upgrade soon. I have the 500 rpm lower stall triple disc billet converter for that one, just need the trans parts. The 02 I picked up had more supporting mods and more fuel, and is my personal DD so I put BD twins on it. I love them. SOOOOO much better than the big single that was on it. The operating range is so broad now it's very impressive. They boost anywhere. Perfect for my city towing. The 01 is more of an employee truck so it stays closer to stock. I've been tossing around the idea of using the big single from the 02 and the factory turbo that is on the 01 for a set of "baby" twins, possibly. Not sure though if it will be needed. The 01 has 75 hp tips and a max energy but no pyro (stupid I know but it came that way) so I really don't know what it hits while working. I have one to install from my now defunct v10-12V project. Just need time. What I really think the 01 needs though is another programmer where I can set safe guards and maybe lock it out so it can't be played with.