Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Can someone tell me what lift pump this is? (02 ram 2500)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone tell me what lift pump this is? (02 ram 2500)

It seems to look like a replacement for the stock from what I can find, but why is it mounted on the frame in front of the fuel tank? Also, if it is the replacement, how has the VP44 not failed? The pump looks pretty old and the guy I bought the truck from ran a smarty and xzillaraider 2 on it for years. Thanks
Old 07-12-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by HillKill00
It seems to look like a replacement for the stock from what I can find, but why is it mounted on the frame in front of the fuel tank? Also, if it is the replacement, how has the VP44 not failed? The pump looks pretty old and the guy I bought the truck from ran a smarty and xzillaraider 2 on it for years. Thanks
that is a stock lp that has relocated to the frame, i did the same thing to save my ip and it works!

Name:  P1010161-1.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  55.1 KB[/URL]
Old 07-12-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like the stock pump relocated to the frame. The main reason pumps are relocated to the frame is that pumps push fuel better than they pull. When relocated to the frame they don't have to pull as far as when mounted on the engine. It also appears to have 3/8 hose, which will move more volume of fuel than the stock lines. Relocated, they will pick up more water, road salt and debris and age quicker. As long as the electrical connections are clean and it is putting out good preddure, no problem.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. I can't monitor the fuel pressure am because my buttons on the commander are messed up so I sent it back to quadzilla so they could fix it.

In mounting to the frame, does this change the gph to the IP somehow? Are there any filters I need to check besides the one on the motor?

Also, my smarty is throwing a "low voltage to MAP sensor" code... is this normal with my setup or do I need to check something?
Old 07-12-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HillKill00
Thanks for the replies. I can't monitor the fuel pressure am because my buttons on the commander are messed up so I sent it back to quadzilla so they could fix it.

In mounting to the frame, does this change the gph to the IP somehow? Are there any filters I need to check besides the one on the motor?

Also, my smarty is throwing a "low voltage to MAP sensor" code... is this normal with my setup or do I need to check something?
It doesn't change the GPH the pump is rated for, it just changes how hard the pump has to work to get fuel. Instead of pulling it all the way along the frame rail up to the block, now the pump is pushing it which is more what it's designed to do. Judging by your picture, they probably didn't add any additional filtration, so you would still just have the stock fuel filter in the stock location.

As for the MAP sensor code, I'm not aware of any setups that cause low voltage to the MAP. I'd check all your connections to make sure they're tight and clean.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
It doesn't change the GPH the pump is rated for, it just changes how hard the pump has to work to get fuel. Instead of pulling it all the way along the frame rail up to the block, now the pump is pushing it which is more what it's designed to do. Judging by your picture, they probably didn't add any additional filtration, so you would still just have the stock fuel filter in the stock location.

As for the MAP sensor code, I'm not aware of any setups that cause low voltage to the MAP. I'd check all your connections to make sure they're tight and clean.
Will do, thank you!