Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Clutch concerns, need input

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Clutch concerns, need input

Hello,

So, I might be in need of a new clutch sometime soon. I have always got good advice on this site, so here I go again!

My truck is laid out in my sig below. The only addition is that I am currently running a hyper-tech programmer at stage 1 (more just for tire-size correction that anything else). I got the programmer about 3 months ago.

My current clutch is from Valair. I bought it in Nov 2007 and installed it in December of 2007 so it is almost 7 years old. However, I got a new job in 2009 that is inside a factory so I quit driving my truck daily. I have only put 40,000 miles on the truck since installing this clutch. I bought their 13" organic HD upgrade package. I spoke with them over the phone back then and this is what was recommended. They still sell it as part number NMU70279-015SC. It is rated for a little over stock HP/torque

I do not regularly tow heavy. I have loaded it up pretty good a few times but mostly run empty, or just with stuff in the bed. I did regularly tow a small enclosed trailer (single-axle trailer) that held 1 riding mower, 1 push mower, a weed eater and leaf blower for taking care of grass at a rental property. This was not a real strain on the truck.

Off and on over the last year, I have felt what feels like "slipping" every once in awhile. It has only happened in 4th gear though, so it makes me wonder if there it something that could be wrong with the trans..? And just this past week I have been smelling the clutch fairly strongly every time I drive it.

Earlier today it slipped pretty good in 4th gear. I made a right-turn onto a road that had a large hill right away. I was accelerating up the hill and when I got to 4th gear I had slippage. The truck continued to accelerate but the RPM's did not match the rate of speed for the truck. They revved up about 6-800 RPM's and just held there until I let off the throttle.

I have not seen any clutch smoke, and didn't on this last event either. But I could smell that burnt clutch smell at the next stoplight.

Everything is running good and shifting well. I tried to make it slip again later today going up some hills but I could not make it slip again. But, once home I could smell the clutch. Seems like even if I baby it I am smelling clutch.

I know I am writing a lot, but there are some smart folks on this forum and I have found the more details I give the more answers I get!

So what the verdict? Am I going to be calling a buddy to come pick me up on the side of the road if I keep driving this clutch?

Should I go back to the stock tune? I did have some slipping prior to the tuner but never any odor...

Shouldn't this clutch have lasted longer than 40,000 miles? I might call Valair but since it is 7 years old I don't expect to get anything...

Thanks in advance for any and all replies
Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I would say yes, the clutch should last longer. I have 80K on the stock AutoZone clutch installed just before I bought Greenie, I have had my SB DD3250 for what, about 5 years now waiting on it to die?

Anyway, at the risk of lighting up the clutch wars, I do remember there being something about the steel Valair used for some time...... Not saying it is, not saying it inst, but if the pressure plate has lost it's clamp, it could be a time function, not an abuse one.

Fair notice, I like SB, and I trust their product, but I have also seen Dan at Valair be a stand up guy, and their product isn't coming apart at the seams any more than any other clutch manufacturer.....

I would call Valair and present the exact scenario and see what they say, won't cost you a dime.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good advice.

I called them today and laid out the situation. They are not willing to offer any sort of wattanty or discount on a new clutch.

I can't say I blame them. I did buy and install this almost 7 years ago....

The good news is that since I upgraded to their 13" package last time, I can save some money and not buy another flywheel.

I am a little hesistant to buy one since the last only lasted 40,000 miles though... i will do some more digging on here, and maybe even post another thread asking opinions.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Thats a bummer. You're correct in thinking that the clutch should last way longer than 40k miles. Really, if a clutch isnt abused it can last almost indefinitely. But whats a problem is the amount of slippage you experienced. I'd be curious as to whats going on there. Maybe you lost a tranny seal or crank seal and it contaminated the clutch causing slippage. Have you looked under the truck to see if there's any indication of a leak? The stock clutch will handle about 80 hp over stock before it slips. That said, towing around a lot of weight will potentially cause it to slip earlier. Driving style is not to be underestimated either since you cant drive these trucks like a Honda Civic otherwise you'll wear out the clutch fast.

If Valair just said sorry we wont do anything then thats too bad since it sounds like you're a legit guy not out to take advantage of anyone. I'd think they should have said something like, take it out and take lots of pictures and if we determine somethings faulty with the clutch or material then we'll help. And any reason not related to the clutch would void any help. But to say you're out of luck isnt cool.

I'd say give Southbend a call since they're a top notch company and build a top notch clutch. Customer service is just as important as the product a company puts out.

You may need to reinvest in another flywheel too because slipping the clutch under power like that is VERY bad and creates immense heat on the flywheel surface. You then change the characteristics of the metal surface and then get hot/hard spots which lead to chattering upon engaging. Re-surfacing doesnt always remove those problem spots either as it runs deeper in the metal only to surface again later on. A new flywheel is best. See what SB has to say about that.