Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Clutch break in questions(hard shifting)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch break in questions(hard shifting)?

Got my Con OFE installed by a very reputable shop today and I like the clutch. Not too grabby at all. Perfectly fine. Softer pedal, which is nice. Engages lower in the pedal. Just have to be a little gentler then the stock clutch.

But, when I come to a stop, it is sometimes very hard to get into Reverse and 1st. With my stock clutch, it didn't like to go into reverse sometimes. Now its worse. 1st is tough too sometimes. Not as bad as reverse though. Goes into second no problem, everytime. Seems worse when cold. Shifts easier with the truck off. Shifts between gears feel smoother and better then the stock clutch.

Only have maybe 40 miles on it, so I'm hoping it will loosen up and go in easier. What do you think? Anyone else have similar issues upon installation of a new clutch.

Also, I installed a new flywheel with roller bearing pilot bearing on the flywheel. So, that shouldn't be an issue.

Trying to do the 200 miles of city driving but that is difficult in Montana.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:16 PM

Check the fluid level in your trans. Easy to do, and it is free. Mine was getting harder to go into 1st and reverse for the last year or so. Last weekend I changed the fluid and now it goes into gear 10x better.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How far down the pedal does it disengage? Say at just below half pedal. It may not be disengaging all the way. This is a problem which is common. The fix is in modifying the clutch hydralics.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by GlennRMK
Got my Con OFE installed by a very reputable shop today and I like the clutch. Not too grabby at all. Perfectly fine. Softer pedal, which is nice. Engages lower in the pedal. Just have to be a little gentler then the stock clutch.

But, when I come to a stop, it is sometimes very hard to get into Reverse and 1st. With my stock clutch, it didn't like to go into reverse sometimes. Now its worse. 1st is tough too sometimes. Not as bad as reverse though. Goes into second no problem, everytime. Seems worse when cold. Shifts easier with the truck off. Shifts between gears feel smoother and better then the stock clutch.

Only have maybe 40 miles on it, so I'm hoping it will loosen up and go in easier. What do you think? Anyone else have similar issues upon installation of a new clutch.

Also, I installed a new flywheel with roller bearing pilot bearing on the flywheel. So, that shouldn't be an issue.

I have the exact same trouble with my stock clutch, and I found that my clutch fluid keeps going down, I have a leak somewhere but haven't had time to check it yet, my guess is that your clutch master and slave cylinders are low on oil or leaking by, I had same trouble on my old Powerjoke and I replaced the master/slave as an assembly and had no problems after that.

IMO your master/slave clutch cylinders need replacing, maybe with a better quality one, I'm not sure whats available, anybody else know?
Old 05-27-2006, 01:31 AM

There's a upgraded hydrolics kit by sbc. Peirs sells it. Some of the stronger DD clutches need them. Sealed system master and master with a quickconnect.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:16 AM

Truck only has 44,000 miles, so I figured the hydraulics were fine.

Will hope for break in.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by GlennRMK

Mines the same! I've got a couple thousand miles on mine. I don't use 1st much so I'm not too worried about it. I figure its just because the clutch is heavier duty.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:33 AM

when you want 1st try puttin' in 2nd then 1st. same w/reverse try fifth or sixth if your a six sp. then reverse. sometimes this happens, when your goin' from 2nd to 3rd, make a clean shift, try not to shift at a slant, more of a up,right,up, if you get my drift, same for goin' into high gear. i shifted once from 2nd to 3rd, to much slant and lost 1st. i did shift really hard and fast but it applys the same, over time or all at once.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:59 PM

Seemed fine today. Almost the same as before.

Didn't have any trouble.

Maybe shes just breakin in.