Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

check your head lately?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check your head lately?

well needless to say i need some input on the ol ram.i have a blown head gasket(but shes still runnin ok except for the really hard starts when its parked on level ground) and its possibly cracked (or a bad injector) i am getting alot of pressure in the tank so i am guessing it is getting in through the fuel return line! plus its bubbling in the radiator also from what the local diesel shop says. any one have any input ( given my signature) if i should go with a reman head if its cracked or should i get the fire ringed head.would it be overkill for what i have?i dont plan on adding much more except exhaust and injectors. who makes the fire ringed head? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say that if you can wing it, go ahead and do it right. If my head ever goes, im just gonna go ahead and do studs and orings. That way i shouldnt have to worry about it. With a comp, a superchips, and possibly injectors, id say temperatures will start to become an issue. If you go ahead and go with studs and orings now, youre head should have no problems handling a bigger turbo if you ever need it.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by tughillnut
.... any one have any input ( given my signature) if i should go with a reman head if its cracked or should i get the fire ringed head.would it be overkill for what i have?i dont plan on adding much more except exhaust and injectors. who makes the fire ringed head? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Firerings are done by Haisley..... http://www.haisleymachine.com/

I love mine...but I don't think you need them, if your SURE about not adding much more. Just a set of studs will do you nicely!

I would have your head (or a new one) decked (leveled)! They are notorious for not being level... even new ones from the factory! They are ok for stock, which is what they are designed for, but not for much added power.

RJ
Old 06-25-2006, 02:57 PM

Doesnt the superchips do timing too?The comp does .Many guys on here warn about stacking timing boxes.One thing that too much timing will cause is a headgasket failure from what I've heard.Could be the prob.Fire rings are a last resort.A set of studs,and grooving the head for o rings is all thats needed in most guys trucks.That should be good for 60 plus psi they say.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
superchip does not do timing
Old 06-27-2006, 03:18 PM

to all THANKS you guys saved me alot of research time.I am thinking i am going to go with the studs. do they require retapping of the head? i am going to get the head leveled and checked for cracks. is there any co. recommended for head gasket sets that are better than stock? is grooving for o-rings the same as putting in fire rings? not sure.would rv275's be a good idea to install now while the head is off?i saw a set online for 200$. sounds reasonable i thought! are thew injectors the same as nozzles? if not will i need to buy a set of those too? thanks again to all you guys out there.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:45 PM

Grooving the head for o-ring is basically the same as firerings.

Use APR Head studs, unless you go with haisley's complete package ...Studs/gasket/rings. Both are good.

RV275's are a nominal increase...40 hp...and are complete injectors, with tips. If your having head ringed...I would go much bigger on injectors!

I would talk to Doug at DPW... http://www.performancedieselwarehouse.com/820536.html
He will take good care of you and is in your area!

RJ
Old 06-27-2006, 04:12 PM

I heard some guys set grooves in their blocks as well for the fire rings.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by kelownadiesel
I heard some guys set grooves in their blocks as well for the fire rings.
Proper fire ring is a matching groove in head and deck. You replace the stock fire ring that is part of every head gasket with a heavier unit.
O-rings use a groove in the head or deck only with a small diameter wire ring to add more compression to the head gasket.