Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

To Bullydog Or Not To Bullydog??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Bullydog Or Not To Bullydog??

Hey everbody!! Been awhile since ive been on here. Been tough due to economy on my end. I got a 2001 Now, Automatic, Stock. Im going to update my sig lata. My question is Should I buy the outlook monitor w/power enchancement or pay a little more and get the juice w/attitude? Im not looking at doing a whole bunch of aftermarket parts just need something to get better mpg/towing thanks for your help
Old 02-25-2010, 01:38 PM

Any Suggestions???
Old 02-25-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got to give members a chance to answer!
For quick responses, best time to post is early evenings.

Unless you want to have to rebuild you tranny, anything more than 60 hp will fry it.
I would avoid both Bully Dog and Edge Juice.
I would recommend the Smarty.... for performance. But that won't give you gauges.
The only gauge you really need is a Fuel pressure gauge. You could cover that with just a low pressure sensor and warning light.

Good luck!

RJ
Old 02-25-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LilBigd02
Hey everbody!! Been awhile since ive been on here. Been tough due to economy on my end. I got a 2001 Now, Automatic, Stock. Im going to update my sig lata. My question is Should I buy the outlook monitor w/power enchancement or pay a little more and get the juice w/attitude? Im not looking at doing a whole bunch of aftermarket parts just need something to get better mpg/towing thanks for your help
does bullydog make a monitor system for the 2nd gens??
Old 02-25-2010, 05:28 PM

Sorry I get anxious when I get on this site, LOL, Bullydog does make a monitor system, outlook w/power enhancement. Adds 65 hp with gauges etc.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was in the same boat, I wanted guages and some performance thrown in. I went with the Juice w/Attitude monitor. The Juice is WAY more than I'll ever want or need.
I LOVED how easy the Edge system was to install and I did not tap the vp44.

The cost comparison was easy, if I went with typical guages and something like a power puck I could have saved maybe $100 over the Edge setup, but then I wouldn't have digital guages with things like audible alarms.

Go with the Juice+Attitude monitor, for not much more $$ you get more than you'll likely ever want.

My opinion.... and a very uneducated one at that.
-Tim
Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 PM

Id contact source automotive and buy a smarty. Best bang for u buck. Just stay far far away from banks and edge
Old 02-25-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dstad
Id contact source automotive and buy a smarty. Best bang for u buck.
I thought about a smarty.... but then where are the gauges?

And I'm really curious, since I went with a Juice w/ Attitude.... why stay away from Edge?

-Tim
Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 PM

I dont have a computer controlled vehicle but my friends do. They all have bought the edge attitude with juice and yes it does give some preformance but nothing like a smarty. In the long run ur gonna want accurate guages (not juice) anyways so just get the smarty and some DiPricols and ul be happy.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 AM

I dont have a computer controlled vehicle but my friends do. They all have bought the edge attitude with juice and yes it does give some preformance but nothing like a smarty. In the long run ur gonna want accurate guages (not juice) anyways so just get the smarty and some DiPricols and ul be happy.
you have got to be kidding!! your giving advice on something you dont own, how can you compare the two? if you dont even own a computer controlled truck. a smarty improves bottom end, but its 60hp, J/A is 120hp with features that a smarty plus mechanical gauges CANNOT match! yes the smarty does a couple things that a box cant, but the J/A pros out way the smarty pros, in my opinion

My attitude readings were so close to the readings from my mechanical gauges, that I removed the mechanical gauges.

to the orginal poster, the edge j/a will do more than you will need, and its cheaper or at least the same price as a 60hp box and gauges, but has features that put it above and beyond. the down side is all the extra hp is hard on the tranny, upside is if you dont tap the VP, edge j/a will be limited to 60hp, but still have all the audiable alarms and features. If in the future if you upgrade your tranny you can alway tap the pump for "free" if you have a 60hp box you will have to sell it and the gauges and start over again (been there done that!)
Old 02-26-2010, 12:59 AM

Ok so i dont own a computer controlled POS but i work on a hell of a lot of them and i did own a 7.3 for 2 hellish years.
All im sayin is that ive intsalled 3 edge j/a's and ended up upgrading them to something way better. The dmax whent from PMT to edge j/a to EFI Live and the PMT kicked the edges ***. On dads 05 common rail he got edge then 2 days later bought smarty sr. If u look at most the guys making good pwr outta a 24v ull see there not runing edges. In my old powerstroke i bought a edge j/a and was so not impressed i ended up buyin a WILDMAN Custom Tuned Flip Chip and it was amazing. I hated the gauges on the edge. The only thing i liked was being able to go back and see my max's. Everyone has there own opinion on chips, i voiced mine srry if u dont agree
Old 02-26-2010, 01:00 AM

The gauge readings on my edge vs. DiPricols varried 250 degrees and 4 psi of boost.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:03 AM

I bought an Edge because of the gauges it came with. I have had it since they came out and have had no issues. I do have a brand new in the box Bully Dog Outlook with power enhancement that I would love to make you a smoking deal on. It has never been opened so I can't comment on how it works. Let me know if you are interested. Eric
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LilBigd02
...Bullydog does make a monitor system, outlook w/power enhancement. Adds 65 hp with gauges etc.
That would work.... just be sure it adds timing as well as HP. I'd be surprised if it did not.

Originally Posted by imbodie
I thought about a smarty.... but then where are the gauges?
And I'm really curious .... why stay away from Edge?
-Tim
I'm not a big fan of Edge products either, but my experience is from 2003!
They have great customer service... and it gets used often, due to box problems.
At least that's the way it use to be. But many members here love them so.............?

RJ
Old 02-26-2010, 08:07 AM

Ok so i dont own a computer controlled POS but i work on a hell of a lot of them and i did own a 7.3 for 2 hellish years.
All im sayin is that ive intsalled 3 edge j/a's and ended up upgrading them to something way better. The dmax whent from PMT to edge j/a to EFI Live and the PMT kicked the edges ***. On dads 05 common rail he got edge then 2 days later bought smarty sr. If u look at most the guys making good pwr outta a 24v ull see there not runing edges. In my old powerstroke i bought a edge j/a and was so not impressed i ended up buyin a WILDMAN Custom Tuned Flip Chip and it was amazing. I hated the gauges on the edge. The only thing i liked was being able to go back and see my max's. Everyone has there own opinion on chips, i voiced mine srry if u dont agree

I realize your posting your opinion like I am, so no harm no foul. and I'm not trying to turn this in to a you know what contest, I just found it strange that you said you had no computer controlled vehs and said a smarty made more, after reading your post now I understand why

On a Ford edge is susposed to be aweful/ and not that good at all, on a 3rd gen truck a smarty makes way more power,no arguement with that! but when comparing a 2nd gen smarty to a 2nd gen Edge there is a huge difference, Smarty 3rd gen to edge 3rd gen is a totally different animal, comparing 2nd gen products to 3rd gen...no comparison, and I would agree with you
I do remember reading posts in the past about gauge readings being off, so I left my mech gauges in to compare them, my boost was 1psi difference everything else was the same, I left my mech gauges in for a couple months to be sure, I have not seen any recent posts saying readings are off, my edge J/a has over 2000hrs on it in the last yr, and I've experienced no issues to date, super happy so far
I posted on the other forum for guys to post up their dyno results, and if you look thru it there is no one making high hp with a smarty by its self, its stacked with an ADR or an edge product, most of the higher hp guys are using adr/smarty

here have a look
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...o-results.html

Quick Reply: To Bullydog Or Not To Bullydog??