Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bully Dog J-Hook Spring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bully Dog J-Hook Spring?

Just installed my Bully Dog J-Hook. In the directions it say's to tighten up the turn buckle until the spring is 1-3/4" long. So, here goes the stupid question......How do I measure the spring? Do I measure it from the tip of the eye to the tip of the eye or just the spring section itself. I currently have it ran as tight as it will get, bottomed out and it just does not seem to be tight enough. From tip of the eye to tip of the eye it is 2-1/4" and the coil section of the spring is only 1-1/4". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:01 AM

How bout a test drive to see when it opens and adjust it from there? Just a common sense answer from the guy with no experience w/ j-hooks =P
Old 04-16-2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
How bout a test drive to see when it opens and adjust it from there? Just a common sense answer from the guy with no experience w/ j-hooks =P
Common sense is good, wanted to double check before I punished it.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another common sense answer. Due to no expirience w/ springs. Just firm enough so it does not rattle.
You will need to do trial & error.... want to set it at 32 psi boost max!

I just did the 4" turnbuckle and locked it off completely. Did not get into excessive boost on HY-35 till I got over 325 or 350 HP. At this point it really is time for a bigger turbo.

I don't think you need to worry about too much boost... where you are now.... especially since probably not running 5x5 with stock tranny. Adding more?

RJ
Old 04-16-2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Another common sense answer. Due to no expirience w/ springs. Just firm enough so it does not rattle.
You will need to do trial & error.... want to set it at 32 psi boost max!

I just did the 4" turnbuckle and locked it off completely. Did not get into excessive boost on HY-35 till I got over 325 or 350 HP.

I don't think you need to worry about too much boost... where you are now. Adding more?

RJ
I guess I wasn't worried about to much boost, just worried it was not tight enough. I'll head out and take her for a spin to see what happens. If not tight enough I suppose I could cut a bit off of the eye bolt to get some more stretch out of the spring.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most use the spring to control over boosting! Let us know what you find.... good info for future reference since more people seem to be using the spring than use to.

RJ