Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

building my own trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mechanos
Yes, I was talking about the direct clutch in the OD unit.... not the front clutch (clutch directly behind the oil pump).

It doesn't look like it'd be that difficult to make something to compress the front clutch springs either. I was thinking about something along the lines of a couple pieces of flat stock and couple of spacers to clear the clutch retainer hub and a bolt to sqeeze the assembly together.
If you are not in a hurry, I can take some pictures this weekend and post them in my gallery??
Old 01-26-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mcmopar
If you are not in a hurry, I can take some pictures this weekend and post them in my gallery??
That would be

Thanks...
Old 01-26-2006, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man this is great, i have not bought the tools yet. and i am all about saving money.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by gunracer1
man this is great, i have not bought the tools yet. and i am all about saving money.
Yeah, I know..... I'm used to your cheap Edit from the Pirate threads.

I'm the same way.... I'd rather spend a few dollars and a little of my time to fab something than to just plunk out the big bucks for a simple tool.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:04 PM

hey it is not that i am really cheap, i am broke. if it wasn't for all my wheeling and dealing, making and breaking. i would never be able to afford to play with this stuff. i have more time than money. and with a wife at home and three kids, i don't have a lot of play money.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:06 PM

and with a wife at home and kids, i don't have a lot of play money.

Amen to that brother!!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:42 PM

hey it is not that i am really cheap, i am broke. if it wasn't for all my wheeling and dealing, making and breaking. i would never be able to afford to play with this stuff. i have more time than money. and with a wife at home and three kids, i don't have a lot of play money.
Yeah, I know.... it's not quite that bad for me (read: single), but like you, if it wasn't for doing things myself and saving $$$$, I wouldn't be able to justify the expenses that automotive hobbies generate. Besides the expenses, it is a hobby for me and hobbies are all about doing the stuff yourself. For example.... if you buy models already built, then you're not a hobbyist.... you're a collector.

Back on subject..... I just got off the phone with DTT. Looks like it's going to cost me about $2350 in parts to build the tranny I want. That includes TC, VB, Master Rebuild Kit, Billet Front Servo & Billet Accumulator and a Mag-Hytec Super Deep pan (+4 qts). I forgot to ask them what it would take to slip extra clutch discs in the clutch packs in the OD unit.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:37 AM

[IMG][/IMG] As promised, there are more in my gallery.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:51 AM

Does anyone have any concerns that there might not be enough room on the splined section of the input shaft/hub sections that a 6th clutch "might" drop off? The 48 RE holds 5 as Justin said and is working great in the last tranny that I did. Why worry about the OD OD section? It has a lot more capacity than the direct drum does, so the direct should slip LONG before the OD section will.

Give Dave G a call, that is where I get my stuff, hell of a nice guy!!
i dissagree on your comment.. the OD is the first thing to start slipping in the 47re trannys.... If you want to build one...go by your local tranny shop and get prices on a master rebuilt kit... then when you go to rebuild the tranny you will need a press to unspring one portion of the internals but other then that its a peace of cake.. just take everything out of the tranny in sections and lay it out as you take it apart.. then just go back in the reverse and put it back all together. This way you dont forget anything.. then when you get to adding steeles and frictions.. take a grinder and grind off some and take the better of the frictions and steeles you took out and place in the last slot. This is what i did and it is holding very well.. I havnt experieced any slipping as of yet... and this is the setup i launched with that ran me the 12.85 sec run
Old 01-31-2006, 07:59 AM

Everyone is allowed to disagree, but do the math-the OD section has more holding capacity than the direct drum does.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:28 AM

As promised, there are more in my gallery.
Would you mind giving a left to right run down of what each of these is used for? I'm assuming the two pipe pieces are homemade slide hammers, the next piece is the OD alignment tool, then an intermediate shaft and in the far right the gauge block/measuring tool? Do you have an improvised tool for removing the front reaction shaft bushing?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:46 AM

Yes, Item 1 & 2 are slide hammers that I made to pull the pump from the tranny housing, the next is the OD alignment tool, notice that it is missing the small pilot on the end?? That is why I use the shaft. The next one that you can't really see is for measuring the depth across the OD unit, and the last one is for measuring the OD unit, that one drops down into the unit, then you measure drom the one across the housing to this one. I can also give you more info from the pictures in my gallery if you like.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:50 AM

I got 'em all under control now....
I plan to either improvise a front clutch spring compressor or just use the shop press.
Make or buy an OD spring compressor tool to use in the shop press.
Use the intermediate shaft as an alignment tool when reassembling the OD unit.

I do have a question about the cylindrical gauge block (for determining intermediate shaft spacer selection) and the flat slotted gauge tool. Can you accurately measure the dimensions of these two pieces? What I need is:

1) Diameter of gauge block.
2) Length of guage block.
3) Thickness of slotted gauge tool.

If I know these dimensions, I can improvise the tools.

Also, what do you use for a reaction shaft bushing remover? Are you using a bought tool or something else?

Thanks again for the pics and info.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:35 AM

I can accurately measure them for you, how soon do you need the dimensions? I use a punch to remove the old bushing. I have a bushing driver to install them.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:39 PM

how come yall are using alignment tools?... what have yall ran into that really needed to align it all..when i rebuilt the OD i just eyeball it and it all slips right together......and to decompress the spring i used a large socket that fit over the center and a c clamp...kinda jerry rigged it but it worked...

Quick Reply: building my own trans