Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bosch RV275's, Diesel Dynamics stage I & II injectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Bosch RV275's, Diesel Dynamics stage I & II injectors

I meant nothing poet dude, what i was saying is that your technical information is superior to mine. I was just saying that my truck never had a problem-------YET.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:13 PM

Can anyone tell me if all of the DD injectors use modified STOCK injectors. From what I understand, they use the stock ones and extrude hone them to the appropriate size/power level. Is this true??
Old 10-26-2002, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All '00 6 speed models had the smaller imput shaft, smaller clutch, and an ETC engine. The '00 model year was also very short lived. The '01s were introduced early in '00 and had a VERY long model year. All '01 6 speeds have the large imput shaft, clutch, and an ETH engine. The clutch in the '00 models is the same as the 5 speed clutch, and is stronger in stock form than the 13&quot; because it has more lining area, I believe.<br><br>Back in early to mid '00 several owners of the '01 ETH/DEEs were having clutch problems with no vendor offering a stronger replacement because of the difficulty of finding a 13&quot; disc which fit on the larger imput shaft. Finally Joe Donnelly and McLeod introduced after market units, at about the same time, which could hold the extra torque. South Bend was aroud back then, but didn't offer anything for the ETH/DEE. Things are much better now because of all the clutch offerings out there.<br><br>Maybe the disk lining was changed between the early '01s and later models, but I don't think so (maybe someone can offer accurate information on this). What I've noticed is the 6 speed clutches are sort of like lift pumps, with some failing at lower power power levels than others. Driving habits have lots to do with how they last, but almost every modified ETH/DEE, even ones with only 275s and an EZ, eventually ends up having clutch problems. It's best to plan on a clutch upgrade in your BOMBing plans, even if you own a 5 speed.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:21 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

I'm going to throw some of my experiences out here. Generally speaking, an ETH/DEE from model year 01 and up is capable of holding back 300 BHP. This means a set of DD2s, or an EZ/275 package (in my mind, preferable to straight injectors) _should be_ fine and should run for a decent length of time.<br><br>But, in 1% - 2% of installs, we've found a weak clutch in the 6 speeds, and end up with slippage on as little power as an EZ.<br><br>In practice, I've found the 6 speed clutch to be adequate for most mild BOMBs. Don't powershift it, don't dump the clutch and don't ride it. Heat is the primary enemy of the facing materials on the disc. Once that clutch heats up, it'll slip, often with stock power. I ran an '01 with a DRAG Comp and RV275s for better than 30K miles, while towing 30K loads, and didn't have a clutch problem. My problems started when I felt my oats one evening and toasted a ricer off the lights. I did that three or four times, spun the clutch, and then I was off to install the South Bend.<br><br>Rod
Old 10-26-2002, 08:25 AM

[quote author=CMN_NOT_STROKN link=board=7;threadid=6210;start=15#57674 date=1035598406]<br>Can anyone tell me if all of the DD injectors use modified STOCK injectors. From what I understand, they use the stock ones and extrude hone them to the appropriate size/power level. Is this true??<br>[/quote]<br><br>All extrude honed injectors for the Dodge begin life as a Bosch injector. So the bodies will all be virtually identical, however some companies use a stock body, others use an RV275 body. The only difference between these two bodies will be Bosch part number thats stamped on top of the injector. The tips usually begin life as an RV275 tip, and then the holes are honed too allow greater fuel flow.<br><br>Rod
Old 10-27-2002, 08:14 AM

[quote author=Ascraeus link=board=7;threadid=6210;start=15#57793 date=1035646821]<br>So I think we're all saying the same thing, right? DD2's alone or EZ's with 275's or DD1's should work with the stock 6spd clutch. But DD2's AND the EZ would require a clutch assmbly upgrade. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Yep, I think so. But we're throwing cavaet in there that you could be in the 1 - 2% who will slip with the EZ/275 combo.<br><br>[quote author=Ascraeus link=board=7;threadid=6210;start=15#57793 date=1035646821]<br>Just one further question, and I hope I'm not making a nuisance out of myself. What is the better injector to run with an EZ setup, 275's or DD1's? Obviously DD claims their own are better and they've got some graphs on their site. But I think some of you are claiming that 275's are better. <br>[/quote]<br><br>This boils to down to what makes &quot;better&quot;. The DD1s will give you 20 more HP than the RV275s, and they are more closely matched for pop-off pressure (DD - 2%, RV275 - 4%). However the 1s are also a hundred bucks more than the RV275s. In my opinion, they are better, but not 100 - 150 bucks better.<br><br>[quote author=Ascraeus link=board=7;threadid=6210;start=15#57793 date=1035646821]<br>By the way, Rod, did you toast the ricer and spin the clutch while hauling your 30K load? <br>[/quote]<br><br> :'( No, and the fifth run, when my clutch was completely done for, I got beat :'( Was very embarassing. I revved 'er up, dumped the clutch, and sat at the line with the engine revving to 2500 RPM, and the truck doing 10 mph. <br><br>Rod
Old 11-12-2002, 10:26 AM

Just a data point from my experience -- just as GP and PR are saying: be careful if you depend on using your stock clutch with any upgrades. I have to watch out or mine will slip with just an EZ and running empty (comp w/o pump wire). everything else is bone stock. All I have to do is get on it real hard in 5th.<br><br>Mine is an '02 mfg in January or February and has 10,000 miles on it.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:07 AM
Banned

Hey Rod, why did you race the guys 5 times? Wasn't the first 4 a** whoopings enough or did you just have to make it an even 5? Every time I go back for seconds, I lose. That is why I go once, win, and then no more.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:44 PM

hey thanks. I got sucked up into real work and just didn't have the time . good to be back.<br><br>You're probably right about the clutch thing. manufacturing tolerances is to blame (that is, production runs with a distribution of clutches each with a different holding behavior). My guess is the pressure plate, but really the combination of that and the friction material itself could be to blame. After all, its all just bell-curve distributions of component performance. Most of the trucks get the benefit of parts in the center of the distribution, but some of us get the benefit of the distribution &quot;tail&quot; -- 2 or 3 standard deviations away from center, if you will. Thats just a mathematical justification of that 1%-2% that PushRod talked about. such is life
Old 11-12-2002, 04:12 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=7;threadid=6210;start=15#65729 date=1037120875]<br>Hey Rod, why did you race the guys 5 times? Wasn't the first 4 a** whoopings enough or did you just have to make it an even 5? [/quote]<br><br>Well, he kept coming back for more, so I kept dishing it out. Dunno why, other than his buddies were digging him hard <br><br>Rod
Old 11-12-2002, 05:07 PM
Banned

I love the smell of burnt rice. ;D ;D
Old 11-12-2002, 10:28 PM

Hello<br>I have a 01.5 (rear disc brakes)HO w/6speed. I added a edge EZ about a year ago and soon after I could feel my clutch slipping. I pull a 11k fith wheel from time to time. I do not hot dog in my truck much anyways So I bought a South Bend Clutch for her, then since I up graded the clutch I figured why not get some injectors After much research on the performance, drivabilty, pullabilty and durablity I bought DDIIs. I pull the 5er or 26 ft GN as fast as I want to go and where ever I have gone so far with no problem.<br> Some guys have been able to add a box and their clutch holds just fine, it wasn't the case with mine.<br><br>John_P<br> I am still looking for my slow moving vehicle sign for my truck. ;D<br><br>I have the dyno sheets from my &quot;friends&quot; ;D truck starting bone stock plus K&amp;N filter, then with a Edge EZ K&amp;N and then earlier this month with the EZ, K&amp;N, DDIIs and 4 inch exhaust straight piped. They are out in his truck and I don't feel like going and getting them tonight.<br>Hope this helps<br>See Ya<br>Chris <br><br>