Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Boost: Less is more right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost: Less is more right?

ok with the all the fuel im running my B1 is now getting warm. before the VP took a dump the drag comp would run me to about 1350* with the 150 sticks and i could creep it higher with longer WOT runs. EGT's were easily controlled.

im going to a TST comp which has more fuel with no timing so im worried about the temps being too high and money just wont allow for a SP66 or twins right now. im currently hitting 50psi with the wastgegate unhooked...if i put the tube back on its gated right around 42.

im wondering if i should run the higher boost, or is this out of the efficiency range. (anyone have any specs on the B1 cuz i don't have any) or if its better to run around 40ish.

i think jetpilot made 610 on #2 and 832 on N2O with a steroid B1 only running about 42psi. im just not sure if the extra boost is getting more air in or just creating heat.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:34 PM

I think 45psi is about the top of the efficieny map for the B1 compressor! RJohnson did some testing on his KSB1 and that's the conclusion he came to!

That full B1 should be fine at 50psi, but I'd back her down and see what happens! If EGT's go down at 42psi, try 38psi. The less pressure you can run, the cooler the intake air will be. If 42psi doesn't change anything, leave it there! If EGT's go up at 42, try 45!

Mostly just trial and error...every truck is different!
Chris
Old 10-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Banned

after i get the truck back together with the TST ill try it out with the wastegate active and blocked...see what my EGT's do
Old 10-16-2006, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't list which model B-1 you have but...since they are all the same on the compressor side...under the steroid.... you will get best HP and lowest possible EGT's at under 45 psi. I found best was 42 psi.

The B-1's are strong enough to handle 50-60 psi without coming apart BUT above 42-43 psi your gauge will read expansion pressure instead of compression pressure.... at least that's how mine played out.

RJ
Old 10-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

its a B1-EX4...just a regular B1 from TAD. the wastegate when hooked up without the manual boost controller its limiter at 42psi
Old 10-16-2006, 04:25 PM
The Guru

I would my pyro egt's and smoke level determine my maximum boost. After you clean-up the smoke why run your boost higher. I have so many boost leaks I have a hard time running over the 60psi. My smoke starts to clean-up at the point.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:47 AM

A full B-1 with a Wastegate? That's cool! If it were on my truck...I'd use it.
Never seen one like that. Is that the B-1 that came from Chris? Did he wastegate it or did it come from TAD like that?

Anyone know if TAD is still doing business?

RJ
Old 10-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjohnson
A full B-1 with a Wastegate? That's cool! If it were on my truck...I'd use it.
Never seen one like that. Is that the B-1 that came from Chris? Did he wastegate it or did it come from TAD like that?

Anyone know if TAD is still doing business?

RJ

now i might be wrong...wish i knew more about it
Old 10-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Banned

im gonna need to do some research. it has a wastegate that i use on it. im think it must be the B1B or B1-2...its spools really quick unless im REALLY lugging in high gears and with the drag comp it would take WOT to 100mph or more to hit 1500* so ill have to do some testing this weekend with the new toys and see how hot it gets

whatever model it is...it works and it works well.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 AM

Nope, it's a Full on B1 Wastegate! Bought it for $2080 witht the HX-40 downpipe! I have the reciept if you'd like to see it The only B1 model bigger is the B1 Steroid

TAD is still in Business, and they definately build good chargers! I loved that charger for all out running, but with the amount of towing I did, it just wasn't 30K lb friendly If I had the 98 back then, I probably would have put it on there, but I don't tow much with it

Chris
Old 10-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by signature600
Nope, it's a Full on B1 Wastegate! Bought it for $2080 witht the HX-40 downpipe! I have the reciept if you'd like to see it The only B1 model bigger is the B1 Steroid

TAD is still in Business, and they definately build good chargers! I loved that charger for all out running, but with the amount of towing I did, it just wasn't 30K lb friendly If I had the 98 back then, I probably would have put it on there, but I don't tow much with it

Chris
thanks so much for the info dude. i hope to be laying down about 550hp with it this weekend but its gonna be at its upper limits. i wont cange it tho because it spools like no other, probably due to all the fuel im pushing thru it. i wont go back to a laggy charger. at my current level it spools as quick as my HX35/14 did with DD3's and VA box.

i even think that if i put a nice BIG charger under this thing it would work well. even with no box on the truck, a dying VP44 and the injectors...it still spooled great and was easily streetable with hardly any smoke. its a DANG good charger.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by signature600
If I had the 98 back then, I probably would have put it on there, but I don't tow much with it
Chris
Full B-1 on an Automatic??? Don't think you'd like it much without the H-2 Cam and more fuel than your tranny can hold!
GB5.9 is the only member I've heard that is happy with that turbo on an automatic. Different strokes for.... !
Can you say lag pig, boys & girls?
JMO.... probably been spoiled by the twins... but I remember several automatics trying Full B-1's a few yrs ago with unhappy reports!

RJ
Old 10-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Full B-1 on an Automatic??? Don't think you'd like it much without the H-2 Cam and more fuel than your tranny can hold!
GB5.9 is the only member I've heard that is happy with that combo. Different strokes for.... !
Can you say lag pig, boys & girls?

JMO.... probably been spoiled by the twins... but I remember several automatics trying Full B-1's a few yrs ago with unhappy reports!

RJ

this weekend i will try to get some videos of the truck and boost gauge. there is no lag when running thru the gears. the only time it lags is at about 20mph in 5th gear...step on it and it just rolls coal to about 40mph then lights. even a stocker will lag at that point. if all my stuff comes together this weekend i think im gonna have me a winner of a combo.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:25 AM

I've been spoiled by good spoolup now.

In all honesty, the B1 wasn't bad. Spooled HARD between 18-1900. With a Cam, and headwork, it would probably tow A LOT better on a 12v. I could tow all day long with it, but it like to surge when I was heavy. At 70 mph in 6th though, it was fine! A 24v is a completely different animal when it comes to towing and surge, especially with a laggier charger

Like I said, if I wasn't towing with that truck at the time, I'd probably still have it
Chris
Old 10-17-2006, 10:17 AM

towing & the lack of friendliness doing it was the only reason I got rid of the charger, it was awesome for just all out running, but like chris said it just wasn't a good charger for towing & I run more loaded miles than unloaded "playing" miles, there have been a few instances I've really missed that thing when the occasional pesky duramax or powerstroke pulls up!!!! LOL I'd say you're better off running the wastegate hooked up on it though, like the title says alot of times "less is more"!!!! if you do run it both ways and/or try different max boost #'s keep us posted on the results! Dusty

Quick Reply: Boost: Less is more right?