Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Boost difference between OK and CO - what's happening?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a little update. I drove back to Tulsa Saturday and after using very close to a full tank dosed with Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost (mentioned earlier) I decided to put the go pedal to the floor just south of Wichita, KS to see if there was any difference in boost and performance. I was able to hit 32 psi again in 3rd, 4th and 5th and the power definitely seemed much like I remembered it before. I'm not sure what elevation Wichita is at but I'm sure it's not much, if any, higher than Tulsa.

The initial thought is that something was not flowing enough fuel before the cleaner was run through the system, however I'm still going to inspect the inside of the boots as well as pull the fuel filter and pre-screen to see if they look like they need to be replaced and cleaned respectively. Once I inspect the boots and filters I'll report back on my findings. I'm also not sure yet what fuel mileage I'm getting as I was running against a pretty strong headwind from Salina, KS to the Cimmarron Turnpike in OK after which I was heading east and only working against a side wind.

If it turns out the boots are OK and no other sign of boost leaks anywhere else my thoughts will turn to having got a bad tank of fuel either in Walsenburg or Colorado Springs, in which case I'll avoid the stations I bought from. If this is the case I'll post the names and locations of these stations so hopefully no one else will suffer like I did due to bad fuel; not as a slam against them, just to help others avoid any problems.

Steve
Old 07-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Boost pressures shouldn't effect starting. My '99 starts right up WAY before there is enough gas to spin the turbo any apreciable amount. look to the fuel system.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, here's what I've now been able to determine. Bill was apparently right in guessing it to be a fuel problem and change stations. I checked the aftercooler boots for any signs of leaks by taking them off and inspecting them from the inside out - nothing wrong at all. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I put fuel system cleaner/cetane boost in the tank while I was in Colorado Springs and drove back to Tulsa. Just south of Wichita I rompted on it and the boost went to 32 and the quickness seemed to be all there again. After running it around here and filling up again and no signs of the sluggishness it had early in my stay in Colorado Springs I can only surmise the problem was a bad tank of fuel. I don't know if it had some kind of sludge or other problem but apparently the fuel system cleaner/cetane boost got rid of whatever was causing the problem.

Oh yeah, I slid the plate a little forward while I had the tools out too. It now makes about 34 boost and it's definitely running even stronger than before. And yes, I know, I have to start saving for a new clutch now if I'm going to leave the plate there and use the newly found additional power, but hey, I guess that's the price I have to pay when the BOMBing bug bites. I think a 4" exhaust will be next on the menu even before a new clutch - I think I can restrain myself long enough to do that. That should help control the EGTs somewhat and let the turbo spool-up a little quicker too.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know what I found and to thank everyone for there suggestions and comments. It really helps to have others for a sounding board when you're trying to figure things out that aren't working right. Thanks again everyone.

Steve

PS Since I'm not sure it the problem was caused by one station or another and I possibly got fuel right after they filled their underground tanks (possibly causing something to get into my tank) I decided not to post where I MIGHT have gotten the tank of bad fuel.