Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Blocking the Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blocking the Wastegate

Does anyone know if plugging the wastegate feedline will hurt my truck? I was told by a diesel mechanic that the signal hose to the wastegate can be plugged without any damage. I thought this might be true because the aftermarket turbo housing doesn't have a wastegate. If this is true, what will control the boost pressure if the wastegate is eliminated? I've got a 96 2500 4x4 with an automatic.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Re:Blocking the Wastegate

If your truck is otherwise stock and you don't tow, it probably won't hurt anything, but a better question would be "Will it help?" More boost doesn't mean more power. It can actually mean less power, since generating that extra boost heats the air more and causes more backpressure in the exhaust manifold. The amount of boost you need depends on the amount of fuel you have, if your truck is stock, the stock boost is plenty. Blocking the wastegate to get more boost will just raise the backpressure and result in less power. Once you add more fuel (torque plate or injectors) your truck will benefit from increased boost, as you'll actually need that extra air to burn the extra fuel. I wouldn't block the wastegate in any event because it will keep the turbo from overspeeding and exploding. When you find you do need extra boost, get a boost elbow (basically a calibrated leak in the boost line) or a Turbo-Master (replaces wastegate controller with an adjustable lever and spring setup).
Old 07-16-2003, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shoved the stock plate forward, used a C-clamp to block the waste gate line, and drove the truck for almost a year that way. I could control the &quot;flow&quot; by loosening the clamp a little.<br>Blocking the gate made a BIG difference.<br>george
Old 07-16-2003, 03:19 PM

Do a search! This topic has been discussed in the past.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:42 PM

With out adding more fuel blocking off the waste gate is just going to add stress on the engine, loose MPG, and make the engine work alot harder for the same amount of work it does.<br><br>Think of it this way compressing the extra boost actually cost HP. Ideally you just want enough boost to burn all the fuel you have and not any more. Let say at your fueling level you need 20 PSI to burn all the fuel, you undo the wastegate and now you have 28 PSI. On the compression stroke you are now loosing the HP it takes to compress this extra boost and because there isn't any more fuel to burn there is no HP to make up for the lose. <br><br>If you want more HP do it right get a torque plate from Piers, TST, or one of the other plate builder and along with it comes an elbow that has an orfice abd bleed to run the right amount of boost for the fueling it provides.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't boost pressure feed back to the AFC, allowing more fuel to be injected when the boost is up? If this is so, wouldn't more boost mean
more fuel automatically? At least up to a certain point, anyway, which is determined by the plate you are using (in a 12V). Maybe I'm wrong about
this, but I'd like to understand it a little better if someone wants to enlighten us.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:15 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

mechanic: On the stock engines I worked on the AFC allowed full fuel (as defined by the plate) from about 15psi of boost on. You could readjust the AFC to allow for more low boost fueling and therefore allow full fuel from 10psi on. <br>Therefore just raising boost by blocking the wastegate wouldn't have helped. <br>( Also if no wastegate actually had an advantage Dodge or Cummins would have saved on the part)<br><br>drawson: You are rigth with the consequences, but not with the explanation. The energy you loose while compressing more air is returned on the piston's way down. <br>But the increased drive pressure and therefore higher energy intake of the turbine would take its tolls ont hte fuel economy nad increase EGTs too.<br><br>I can only suggest to make a full package of mods to achieve the goal of more power: Pump mods, timing,eventually injectors and boost must fit together.<br><br>AlpineRAM