Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

"Big Transmission companies"

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Big Transmission companies"

Has anyone here had any experience with any of the “big” transmission company warranties. Not trying to start a war, No Wars just looking for info on which companies take care of there customers and how. At least three have a labor warranty that isn’t as long as the parts warranty. How do they handle the labor after the parts warranty has expired? (Flat fee, hourly, looking for personal experience not just what there policy is.) Has anybody owned transmissions from more than one company? I’ve got a local builder for DTT and a local installer for ATS and Suncoast, here in the Houston area. Does anybody have any recommendations as far as going with an installer v/s over hauler? I have had some experience with Dave at Goerend Bros. and couldn’t be happier with him, but he doesn’t have anyone local. If you have some information you’re not comfortable sharing on this forum please PM me.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
My personal experience with DTT was that I did not need any kind of warranty work on it. The small glitches I had were caused by the installer ( me ) and were solved with Bill K on the phone.
I'd suggest that you call Bill K whether your DTT vendor/installer is still on the list sand ask the questions about the warranties too.
No experience with the other vendors.
(Same course of action should also be possible with the other vendors)
HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 02-03-2005, 03:38 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I had my trans done this past June. I was up in the northwest so I took it to DTT's shop in Canada. They did a great job.

I was on vacation in October right outside of Chinle Arizona, Canyon De Chelly to be specific. Was heading to the Grand Canyon the next morning. Stopped for fuel on the way back to camp noticed a leak. Thought it was just water after using about 2 gallons on the windshield cleaning it. Made one more stop on the way to camp and noticed the leak again. This time I knew it wasnt water. Crawled under there and sure enough tranny fluid. Headed back to camp and broke out the tools.

I was hoping it was just a loose drain plug from the TC. No such luck. Drove 15 miles to the nearest phone (no cell service) and gave Bill a call. Got a hold of him it was about 5pm. He had me try a couple procedures while he waited around for me to call back after each one. (I was in the parking lot of a hotel). About 7pm he said well your screwed you need to get it to a shop right away. When I told where I was he pulled out a map and said your in the middle of BFE. He said the closest installer was in Phoenix or Albaquerque (certified installer or not there were no towns big enough that were any closer anyway). He gave me the installers phone numbers. I got a hold of the installer in ALBQ at 8pm at his home. He said if you can get it here I will get you going. Called Bill back told him I was headed to ALBQ first thing in the morning (about 200 miles) any tips on how to get it to last till I get there. He gave some advice. I got to ALBQ at about noon dropped of the trailer at my wifes moms house and headed over. Turns out it was a dodge dealer and my mouth hit the ground. I was thinking oh boy this is going to be fun but this guy is a DTT installer. I park go in talk to the SM and then the installer. They say pull it into the garage and the truck which had been driving fine until I unloaded the trailer. The ride over from the trailer dropoff to the shop the trans was definitely running hotter than normal not in the danger zone but warm. It took a good minute and half to go into gear. Bill had already called the installer earlier that morning and talked to him and overnighted the parts to him. Within an hour the truck was on the lift and he knew what was wrong. The front bushing had come loose, pressed against the front seal which was causing the leak and then took out the front pump. Installer says Bill had already told him that he overnighted the parts to fix it and they will be here in the morning. Said as far as the dealership was concerned all I would be responsible for was the labor. 900.00 to r&r the trans and replace the parts. Bill sent a new tc, pump, billet input shaft and front drum, gaskets etc. It was ready to go thursday by 5pm. Just over 24 hours from the time I got there to the time it was done including the overnight of the parts from Canada to ALBQ. Picked up on Saturday morning first thing (the wife and I said well no need to ruin the vacation we rented a car and went down to Carlsbad Caverns and didnt get back until after they closed on Friday). Picked it up all was well. Drove home to Denver on Sunday. I called Bill Monday morning his wife Shanti answered the phone and as soon she found out it was me she asked me for my credit card number so that she could refund the labor I had to pay down in ALBQ and did I have a reciept I could send them. She also gave me a bit of reaming out for not calling them sooner. The tech (Vinney, who with Darren the other tech at DTT put my trans in originally) had called her at home on Saturday wanting to know if she had heard anything from me and was it going yet. Then she put Bill on the phone and we talked some more about what happened. Apparently pumps dont go out on these things very often at all.

Was I happy that my trans broke down after only 10k miles, no, especially where I was at. I did keep my cool while talking with him on the phone and didnt go off half cocked. I realize stuff happens the question was, was how was it going to be dealt with. Bill did everything he could have possibly done to make it right and did. In fact he did more than I would have expected. He has a customer for life now. He sent more parts than were needed to fix the problem, the tech put them all in, paid for the overnight shipping which was around 450.00 and covered all the labor. I could not have asked for more. Bill was also telling me that his installers not only have to pass his criteria for knowledge and go to his training on their dime, they also have to pass his character criteria and be willing to take calls after hours and at home. The installer in ALBQ Mark Chapman was great (when I picked up the truck the installer was not there so I hunted down the owner of the Dealership who was there and gave him some good feedback on his tranny tech he was all smiles. When he walked up he just knew he was going to get an earful of crap I could see it in his face, made his day I think). The local installer here in Denver, Bob Berends is also a great I have known him for a few years though he has not done any trans work for me but has done other work.

I cant speak to the other Tranny vendors service as I have not dealt with them but DTT's was awesome to say the least in my book.