Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bhaf Vs K&n

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bhaf Vs K&n

After hearing yall talk about BHAF's for a couple of years now I am thinking about getting one. My question for yall is am I going to tell a difference between my K&N in the stock air box and a BHAF? I live in dusty conditions and I have a feeling that the BHAF will get a lot of dirt in it, that being said who has some experience with a BHAF in ranch/farm conditions? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:19 AM

I work on a farm. Never have had a problem with dirt. One thing about being around here though, there aren't a whole lot of gravel roads in the area. Most are oiled heavy, so it is almost like asphalt. I do get into Iowa a fair bit, and the sloppy gravel roads haven't been a problem, either. Or has the dust when they are dry. As big as the filters are, it'd take quite a while to plug one up. You can get an Outerwears prefilter (water resistant version also available) for it. If you do a search here, or are a member of the TDR, you ought to be able to find a part number. Or you can fill out the custom order page at www.outerwears.net

With a BHAF, you'll be able to hear the turbo a little better, and it dropped my EGT's by about 50* (pre-turbo), as compared to the K&N drop-in I had been running. I don't run a turbo heat shield either.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running the Marine version of the Fleetguard BHAF w/heatshield. I also run the water resistant Outerwears pre-filter.

You can't clean the BHAF, but you can wash the pre-filter. New England is not known to be very dusty, but the when the roads are dry in the winter there is a lot of salt (from when they treat the ice and snow) that gets kicked up. I had to clean the pre-filter at least twice this past season.

This, IMHO, is the ideal setup. Best of both worlds.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:21 AM

Just call outerwears and they can get you set up. Make sure you get the water resistant outerwears cover, especilly if you dont run a heat shield. I would recommend the shield. After all the rain the we had here in Ca., I have water/dirt splash marks on the shield. I got pics in my gallery.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:36 AM

Re: Bhaf Vs K&n

Originally posted by DODGE4X4
After hearing yall talk about BHAF's for a couple of years now I am thinking about getting one. My question for yall is am I going to tell a difference between my K&N in the stock air box and a BHAF? I live in dusty conditions and I have a feeling that the BHAF will get a lot of dirt in it, that being said who has some experience with a BHAF in ranch/farm conditions? Thanks for the help.
Really simple to explain...

The BHAF is a dry paper element filter (some are running the outwears)... But still the paper element will shed off the loose dirt and dust fairly easy.

The K & N filter requires oiling. Which will attract the dirt and dust faster. The will reduce the performance of the truck sooner.

Your better off running a paper element of some sort compared to a oiled element for dusty conditions.

K & N is great for racing and track conditions but NOT off roading, farm, dust, etc... They just plug up faster...

I've got a buddy that running a K & N on his 99 Cummins and he seem to be always cleaning that filter.... Caked with dust and dirt!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:50 AM

I have blown out my BHAF, got a lot of dust out of it, and put it back in. Good thing to do every now and again. Replacement filters are $35-$50 around here, can also order from TST. Outerwears pre-filter is a must, as is a heat shield in my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:15 PM

I would NEVER blow out a BHAF. If there was a safety (secondary) filter inside of it, you be safe. To much risk blowing it out, to blow a hole in the paper. Even if you are very careful.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:09 AM

what is the number for outerwears?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:13 AM

Anyone running a basic cotton gauze filter without a prefilter has a death wish! Especially a drop in! That is why i can’t stand drop in CG filters!

BHAF is good. BUT pulls hot air unless you fab a heat shield. ALSO it is a paper filter....only going to flow so much when it gets dirty....but it does have the advantage of surface area. It can distribute intake suction over a larger area...thus reducing it. AND the cost is cheaper.

I would say the best would be a good aftermarket kit with a prefilter. You need more air for the track, yank the prefilter off. Going to get groceries and want to stop all that dirt? Put it back on. Best of both worlds.

Want even more protection? AFE has what they call a Pro Guard 7 filter. It has 7 layers and has a good linier flow when it gets dirty. Just not as high flow at the standard filter. BUT has good protection. And I think they have OEM applications now.

If you have a diesel with a high flow filter...get a prefiler and be done with it!
Old 05-16-2005, 01:11 PM

I can attest to what Bmoeller said, DO NOT BLOW OUT your BHAF. I deal with a lot of cartridge style filters in dust collector work. Almost 99% of dust migration on these dust collection systems comes from someone trying to extend the filter life by blowing them out. A small penetration caused by high pressure airstream can allow a TON of dusty particulate through it. As far as how dirty a filter looks, they are not always that dirty. You have to go by final pressure drop through the filter (use your filter minder mounted into the end of the BHAF). Initially a clean filter is not as efficient as a dirty filter is in that the dust particulate agglomerates by stacking up on itself as the filter loads. In many applications in the dust collection business I have initially pre-caked the new filters with agricultural lime to facilitate proper dust loading. So far my 2nd BHAF filter has 75000 miles on it and the filter minder has not even budged, and I do not run an outerwears or a heat shield. Just my .02 worth FWIW.

Gary
Old 05-16-2005, 01:21 PM

Its been said time and time again - K&N isnt the best choice on a CTD.....these are your choices:

BHAF (with prefilter)
SCOTTY 2 (more for bombed machines) or
AFE Stage 1 with Proguard 7 filter

Anyone want the buy a K&N drop in?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Mudinford

BHAF is good. BUT pulls hot air unless you fab a heat shield.
Sure it pulls warmer air in, but I never saw a difference in EGTs, with or without a heatshield. Plus heat is going to be more of an issue when driving in town (or at low speed) with a load, or with a plugged up radiator/coolers. Running down the road, heat most likely isn't going to be a problem. Lots of air moving through the engine compartment, while driving at speed.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been running a BHAF without a prefilter for about seven or eight months now. I am not sure if you will find a place with more dust than the south plains. I have had no problems yet. I would say I will get at least two years out of this filter barring it get too wet. I will probably order a outerwears sometime though.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies on this. I will get a BHAF and a water outerwear just to cover that basis as well. How much will one of those water outerwear’s cost me? And does the one outerwear fit them all (# wr3325-105) ? I looked on the web site but can't find the price listing (I might be overlooking it). What gauge metal are yall using for your heat shields? I have a sheet of 14-gauge steel but don't know if that is adequate.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:26 AM

Looks like you've already made your choice, but I would not run a K&N again. I had one on my 99 and the turbo pulled some of the oil throught it onto the wheel. I've had a BHAF for 3 months and it is still clean. I live in Nevada, which is pretty dusty. Summer is still delayed a bit, so I can't give a good account of how fast it will get dirty. I had to clean the K&N very often; I think the oil attracts dirt. Cleaning an oiled filter can get messy too. i'd rather spend the $60 on a new BHAF every year (if I need too). I'm using the heat shield from Foster Truck, not real sure if it is helping EGT at all. I really should buy an outerwears and fab up a more complete heat shield. There is a template somewhere; do a searh here or TDR, I can't remember where.

Quick Reply: Bhaf Vs K&n