Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bet Yall never broken one of these

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bet Yall never broken one of these

On my way to class this morning, I pulled into my parking lot like I always do. Well, I decided to back into a spot, like I always do, and when I go to turn the wheel, I notice my tires aren't turning. I was like "gee, that's strange." I hop out and see that my pitman arm was snapped in two!!!

How in the world would something like this happen??? That thing is almost an inch thick!! Anyway, I call up Sky Jacker and they are gonna get me one that will be in tommorrow, for free. I just had all four ball joints replaced, along w/ the passenger side hub last week. I'm still shocked that that thing could break.

P.S. As soon as the pic is approved, it will be in my gallery.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:44 AM

That's an Aggie for ya' Just kiddin' man...
Old 11-21-2005, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
H
If it had to happen...glad it did while parking!

This might help to explain the poor steering you mentioned in another thread about three weeks ago!
Or is it possible someone had an accident when they were working under your truck?

Glad truck, and you, are still in one piece! Scary to think of the other possibilities.

RJ
Old 11-21-2005, 10:47 AM

anyone ever bend a leaf spring at a near 90 degree angle??
Old 11-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Upset Ex-Wife/Girlfriend/Girl Friend's Father????
Old 11-21-2005, 11:31 AM

Well as far as I know, I haven't ticked anyone off that would be willing to harm me or my vehichle. If I did tick someone off, no one I know would know anything about these trucks and how to sabotage it anyway.

I don't know how such a thing could have broken. Maybe its a factory defect, or as some might call it now "a success deficientcy."

Wait, come to think about it, I had the truck alligned and the steering box adjusted when they did the front end work. They said they couldn't get all the slop outta the box. Could this mishap be somehow related? What do yall think?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rjohnson
H
If it had to happen...glad it did while parking!

This would help to explain the poor steering you mentioned in another thread about three weeks ago!
Or is it possible someone had an accident when they were working under your truck?

Glad truck, and you, are still in one piece! Scary to think of the other possibilities.

RJ
H,

I never get on the 1st and 2nd gen threads (i can barely read most of the 3rd gens)...but when I saw that picture I had to see what you said about it. Wow, that is so scary. I just want to second what RJ said and let you know I am thankfull that you were ONLY parking your truck. The possibilities of what COULD have happened did not look very good if you were rolling down the road. Glad your still with us Brotha! You can get another truck. WE can't get another YOU.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you notice any hammer signatures on the pittman arm? It is amazing what can go on in a shop when the boss ain't looking.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:52 PM

Thanks guys for looking out for your fellow cummins brothers!

There are no signs of dings, scratches, or anything in that nature on the broken pitman. I just picked up the puller, so I better get to work on this thing, cuz I know its gonna take a while.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:59 PM

Ouch... At least its been off once... so it should be a little easier.. (maybe) Its a full days job on the upper and lower ball joints... and a hub replacement too.. (double Ouch.. those are pricey too..)
This was going to be the only week I had a few days off... I guess I can hide my special ball joint removal/install tools.. I might even get to sweep the shop floor... (If I could ever get that 1st Gen to move... Or stop moving is more like it.... lol..)
Glad you got the front fixed... now to get the pitman fixed..
You might need the firewrench.. Just don't get it too hot or it'll toast the seals in the gear box....

Good Luck
Bryan
Old 11-21-2005, 03:28 PM

JD, thanks for offering to help me w/ the ball joints and whatnot last week, but I had to get the hub replaced ASAP so I told them to do the ball joints as well.

It only took about 30 mins to get the broken pitman arm off, but it was a long 30 mins . I'm just glad I have my special "torque" wrench...aka...a 4' fence pole. I just hope the new stuff gets here early tomm. so I can get back on the road.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by drew03
anyone ever bend a leaf spring at a near 90 degree angle??
Why yes, I have.

Well, it was more of a "z" shape with almost 90 deg angles on both side of the ubolts.

And I had to drive back thru the mudhole that way, and about 10 miles to a friends shop.

Wierd driving down the road almost sideways from the rear axle being so cocked under the truck.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:27 PM

Back when i was mudinford.....and 7 years ago...when i was driving my '86 F-150, i was coming home from Community College (YES....i did go to a few classes for those of you that know me!!!). I was heading west on 114 towards DFW Airport. I was doing my usual 80 MPH or so when i felt a clunk in the wheel..........i though hum? That was weird. SO...i turned the wheel a little to the left....nothing....a little to the right....nothing......then i crapped! Fortunately the road was straight and it was light traffic. I didnt slam on the brakes, rather just eased into them and the truck just pulled its self off into the center of the HWY. I had to sit and calm down a bit....but i got out to find that i dropped my pasg side tie rod end. Just fell out.....now i didnt preface that i had been driving with about a half turn of slop in my steering for about a 3 months prior......but i learned my lesson that steering is not something to screw around with!!! IF i had made it up the road about 3 more miles and then broke.....for those of you that have been on 114 West going onto 121 North.....that would have been VERY BAD NEWS!!!!

Hunter, glad you didnt have to go through what i did!! Its a "Come to Jesus" moment if i ever had one! It was prob a bad casting....i would assume....but who knows.....might want to think of (PSC?) Hydro assist! haha.....

Glad ya broke going slow!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:41 AM

Caster is a wonderful thing. The more load, the more center.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Banned

Back when I was 18 I had a 93' Dodge Dakota w/ a 4" trailmaster lift on it. Well one day my girlfriend ( now ex-wife ) was driving it home from work and she said she felt this weird pop in the front end and NO MORE STEERING!! The dang tie rod bolt just sheered in half and totally disabled the steering, good thing she was a pretty decent driver or I would have had no more girl and no more truck................scary to think that stuff like that can happen but it does.

Glad you're alright man, sometimes you just have to thank the dude upstairs for lookin out for your butt!!!

~Nick

Quick Reply: Bet Yall never broken one of these