Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Best way to hook up the pump wire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best way to hook up the pump wire?

Ok, I've made a decision. Since my injection pump is already appearing to go South, I thought I'd give it a little help. I want to go ahead and hook up the pump wire, but I'm not sure exactly what to do, or where the best place is to hook it up. Can you guys give me some ideas? <br><br>Any help would be appreciated. I figured once I run this injection pump into the ground, then I'll just replace it and get a good lift pump and pusher along with it. <br><br>Jack
Old 10-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Re:Best way to hook up the pump wire?

By the way, if I do have to put in a new inj. pump, is there anyone near Raleigh who knows how to install one? ;D<br><br>Seriously. Has anyone done it? Is it very hard to do? It looks like it might be a pain in the rear.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack,<br>Changing the VP44 is not hard to do, you need a tool to hold the gear on.<br>Remove the blow by bottle and hose (unscrews), unscrew fuel pump nut and washer, attach fuel pump plate with 2 screws (tool I mentioned, to pull gear and maintain gear timing) drive screws to pull gear, loosen fuel lines, electronic connections.<br>Pull pump, replace with new one then reassemble, torque nut to 125-130 Newton meters.<br><br>If your fuel pump is still working well, I would say you have a good one.<br>Best way to attach fuel wire, well just use the provided scotch lock to attach to the wire.<br><br>Jack, you will love the increase in power from the Comp with the wire attached!!<br><br>--Justin
Old 10-27-2002, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info Justin. Without the pump wire, I'm getting about 8psi from the lift pump WOT, and 13 idle. The truck runs good all the time, it's just hard starting sometimes when warm. I know there is a TSB on this, but I'm afraid to get a reflash done with the ATS setup etc. The last thing I need is for that to get screwed up. I am going to take the truck to Cummins next week to have them check the inj. pump, just to make sure. It's really weird. I see no fuel leaks anywhere. Been trying to figure this out for a while now. I wonder if I have a bad CKP or IAT sensor?
Old 10-27-2002, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I'm gonna. I don't care about the pump at this point. If I have to replace it, then I have to replace it. Part of doing what we do I guess. hehehe<br><br>I do want to feel that power! With the new tranny in, I'm ready to go for it. I just wish I could figure out what the deal is with the hard starting issue.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:11 PM

Just a warning Jack, once the wire is pierced you will never be able to go back. Your going to love the increase in performance. The guy who hooked mine up used a saddle type connection that snapped together, the wire in the top part had a very small needle like that went into the wire. I think the small hole in the wire would be very hard to see if I ever took it off. 8)
Old 10-27-2002, 01:35 PM

The slickest and easiest way to pierce the pump wire is to use the grabber from TST. Comes off just as fast as it goes on.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:54 AM

Where do you get the grabber?<br>
Old 10-28-2002, 01:12 PM

[quote author=Horse Hauler link=board=7;threadid=6306;start=0#58415 date=1035827658]
Where do you get the grabber?[/quote]

My guess would be TST. I will use the Blue Chip Pump Cover when I let Mr. James in north Texas set up my DTT. :'(

Andrew
Old 10-28-2002, 02:51 PM

The grabber pierces on the back side of the wire with a razor blade cut, and installs in a couple of seconds. It is actually manufactored by a test instrument company (Fluke??), for gaining access into wires. Spring loaded, and difficult to tell it was there.<br><br>Follow TxDieselKid's link - Go to the 24v product order page.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:49 PM

I got a question. The dealership is looking for the telltale pierce in the wire insulation, right? Well, you can pierce the wire anywhere along it's run can't you? Why not grab it in a location that would be hard to detect?<br><br>Also, the repair manual indicates that the pump gear must be removed from the pump shaft with a gear puller. You got a manual Jack, because the engine must be manually rotated until the pump shaft keyway is at 12 o'clock? If not, when you pull the pump, the woodruff key, gear retainer nut, and washer may drop into the gear housing requiring the removal of the front cover to retrieve them. Looks easy on paper.....yeah right... :
Old 10-28-2002, 10:13 PM

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=7;threadid=6306;start=0#58020 date=1035735978]<br>Ok, I've made a decision. Since my injection pump is already appearing to go South, I thought I'd give it a little help. I want to go ahead and hook up the pump wire, but I'm not sure exactly what to do, or where the best place is to hook it up. Can you guys give me some ideas? <br><br>Any help would be appreciated. I figured once I run this injection pump into the ground, then I'll just replace it and get a good lift pump and pusher along with it. <br><br>Jack<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Two words: Soldering iron!<br>
Old 10-29-2002, 10:45 AM
Banned

I used to use the Blue Chip Cover. It was very nice. Dealer never knew it was on there.

Quick Reply: Best way to hook up the pump wire?