Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

The Best Headlight Upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The Best Headlight Upgrade???

I've had it with these Sylvania Silver Star bulbs!!! This latest outage on the passenger side means this one lasted about 5 weeks!! Plus I got to meet a State Patrol officer after midnight on my way home from work who mentioned that "I probably didn't even know about it either..." which honestly I didn't. She was very polite and didn't write me a ticket, not even a warning but she did inquire as to how much I had to drink tonight?? None, nada, NOT A DROP as I had just gotten off work....GOD, WHAT A DRAG! Everyone going by thinking you're some kind of criminal or something.... She told me to get it fixed fast ( no need to worry about that ) but SERIOUSLY....

What's a good headlight upgrade for us swingshifters/nightdrivers and these trucks?? Thanks everyone!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

Get the sport headlights. They have 2 bulbs in them instead of our 1.
Look on ebay for dodge ram sport headlights. Right around $200 for both, you will also need a new harness.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks Tony! I got the harness upgrade a few weeks ago now. It allows higher wattage bulbs and the low beams stay lit when the highs are on which is very nice out on a dark country road. The Silver Star's were bright too but they obviously have some kind of lasting challenges, I guess is what you'd call it. I did go back to Schucks Auto Parts where I bought them and even though I didn't have the receipt they exchanged them for the Sylvania Halogen Xtra-Vision bulbs, the ones in the purple packaging and gave me the overpaid amount back as change to boot.
Funny thing too.... I remember the first time I went to change these things and besides taking a half hour, my hand came out all beat up and bloody on the backside due to the cramped quarters there exchanging these bulbs. This time, down at Schucks, he asked if I had em with me and I said they were still in the truck and I'll go out and get them and be right back. After installing that harness and numerous different bulbs, I guess I now qualify as a JOURNEYMAN HEADLIGHT REMOVER AND INSTALLER - DODGE CUMMINS SPECIALIZED as it took me about two minutes to get em both out and back in the store. And I didn't even get a nick!! Of course, I was too shy to try and put em back in there (I was already pushing my luck ) and did that when I got back home. BUT IT'S NICE TO BE GOOD AT SOMETHING!!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Start with the Sport conversion.

After that, add driving lights.

An interesting option is the Borealis headlight kit-- it has me very intrigued.

www.borealistruck.com

jh
Old 06-13-2007, 06:11 PM

Never mind: borealis truck is apparently out of business now, too!

Man, a lot changes when you're gone for awhile!

jh
Old 06-13-2007, 07:53 PM

Hid

Get HID headlights they are so bright. You wont be dissapointed.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:49 PM

Driving lights is the only real way to get better visibility. HID's will scatter, they will not get you better visibility, and they are illegal (unless factory). The beam will only be brighter on the ground in front of you with hotspots. No good...

Sport headlamps with 2 bulbs in each instead of 1 is also ILLEGAL isn't it? The 2nd bulb is intended for high beams!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:55 PM

Hid

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Driving lights is the only real way to get better visibility. HID's will scatter, they will not get you better visibility, and they are illegal (unless factory). The beam will only be brighter on the ground in front of you with hotspots. No good... Sport headlamps with 2 bulbs in each instead of 1 is also ILLEGAL isn't it? The 2nd bulb is intended for high beams!
Well mabey if you had any idea what HID lights look like on the road I think you would change your opinion. The visability is amazing. Also why are you so worried about being illegal, no one said he was going to drive down the road with all his lights on when there are cars around. You have a straitpie. Last I checked thats illegal, noise pollution, WHO CARES!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by CTD01
Well mabey if you had any idea what HID lights look like on the road I think you would change your opinion. The visability is amazing. Also why are you so worried about being illegal, no one said he was going to drive down the road with all his lights on when there are cars around. You have a straitpie. Last I checked thats illegal, noise pollution, WHO CARES!
I don't care about being illegal. But YOU will when a cop decides to pull you over. You can spot HID kits from a mile away. Also, I wouldn't be one to risk a traffic collision by blinding oncoming traffic on a 2-way highway at night.

I've had 4 different HID kits with all different color temps in the past. Had it in a Honda Accord and have seen them in other cars. I know what they look like. Hey your standards on good lighting may be different than mine. But I have never seen a good quality improvement with HID kits in headlamps that were not intended for them. Either the beam pattern is screwed up, you have glare shooting off to the right, or there's hotspots on the ground. Not to mention, the beam actually never really went further; hence visibility didn't change. If you modify your headlights in any way where the visibility is so good that it's like you have your high beams on, chances are that you're blinding people.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:10 PM

Lights

I have passed several cops without a problem. I like how they light the road with that day time color. My opinion is its worth the money.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Driving lights is the only real way to get better visibility. HID's will scatter, they will not get you better visibility, and they are illegal (unless factory). The beam will only be brighter on the ground in front of you with hotspots. No good...

Sport headlamps with 2 bulbs in each instead of 1 is also ILLEGAL isn't it? The 2nd bulb is intended for high beams!
Sport conversions are perfectly legal. Why would it be legal on a factory truck, but illegal after a conversion?

HID lights are great-- IF AND ONLY IF you buy real add-on HID lights. Do *NOT* buy an HID conversion kit-- they are NOT designed to work properly. The factory reflectors are only designed for the factory halogen bulbs. HID capsules will not align properly, and instead of getting nice useable light on the road, all you'll do is blind oncoming traffic.

Justin
Old 06-13-2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Sport conversions are perfectly legal. Why would it be legal on a factory truck, but illegal after a conversion?

HID lights are great-- IF AND ONLY IF you buy real add-on HID lights. Do *NOT* buy an HID conversion kit-- they are NOT designed to work properly. The factory reflectors are only designed for the factory halogen bulbs. HID capsules will not align properly, and instead of getting nice useable light on the road, all you'll do is blind oncoming traffic.

Justin
Oh I meant to say having both bulbs lit for low beams. Isn't one of the two bulbs for high beams?

And that's exactly what I'm talking about regarding HIDs.