3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2003 Ram 2500 headlight upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Ram 2500 headlight upgrade?

I would like to upgrade the buld on my 03 ram 2500. Any sugestions? I want them bright!
Thanks
Old 08-09-2006, 06:13 PM

I put Piaa's in mine! Well worth the money and they are bright as hell!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Muted User

There really isn't much you can do. Higher wattage bulbs burn hotter and melt the sockets.(also illegal but honestly who cares?) they also don't last very long. "White" bulbs just look different but aren't much brighter. The problem isn't with the bulb, it's with the reflector in the housing. 9007 bulbs are used in alot of cars that don't have the headlight problems of these trucks.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The stock headlight design pretty much suxs. Adding Silverstars or GE Nighthawks helps and also adjusting the headlights beams. But still could be better. Lots of aftermarket headlights for the 3rd gen on Ebay. Projector beams work really well but don't know about the quality of the manufacturers.

MikeyB
Old 08-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

cant go wrong with some HID's. I have them and work great. Some of the uptight law biting citizens here will tell you they are now illeagle. I say whatever. There still leagle in a projector headlight so I may just get thoes $169 ebay projectors to see but the more I think about it I'm not the type of guy who buys into the lame bolton crap that some guys think looks cool. Like the type that has to buy any crap that will fit their truck, ie chrome light covers, bug flectors, euro tail lights. you know.

I got my HID's for $200 from hidlights.com and check ebay for projectors.

BTW Silverstars are a waste of money, anybody that say otherwise has never been in a truck with HID's or quality bulbs like PIAA's. Same like I said before, Silverstar owners are the type who buy into that crud, and are too lazy to find good bulbs, so they just drive down the block to Kragen, auto zone, pepboys, ect and then lie to tems selvs and tell other to buy them. I dont get it.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:12 AM

one problem with putting HID's in your headlights is that the 'lamp out' light will always be on, which can be annoying, because the HID bulb doesnt suck much juice, so the computer thinks the light is out
Old 08-10-2006, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by BigDan
cant go wrong with some HID's. I have them and work great. Some of the uptight law biting citizens here will tell you they are now illeagle. I say whatever. There still leagle in a projector headlight so I may just get thoes $169 ebay projectors to see but the more I think about it I'm not the type of guy who buys into the lame bolton crap that some guys think looks cool. Like the type that has to buy any crap that will fit their truck, ie chrome light covers, bug flectors, euro tail lights. you know.

BTW Silverstars are a waste of money, anybody that say otherwise has never been in a truck with HID's or quality bulbs like PIAA's. Same like I said before, Silverstar owners are the type who buy into that crud, and are too lazy to find good bulbs, so they just drive down the block to Kragen, auto zone, pepboys, ect and then lie to tems selvs and tell other to buy them. I dont get it.
Hey, I have Silverstars and they do work better than the stockers. But to get the full effect I had to adjust the headlamps. PIAA are great but have a very short life span. Next set I'm going with GE Nighthawks.
As with most HID lighting you will lose the high beams unless you buy a complete new housing assembly with highbeams. And some are so high in the kelvin range that they are violet, and don't work very well.

MikeyB
Old 08-10-2006, 08:04 AM

High/Low together

Originally Posted by drakebuster
I would like to upgrade the buld on my 03 ram 2500. Any sugestions? I want them bright!
Thanks
I got a couple of Tyco 40 amp relays like are used in the engine bay fuse box and wired one each to each headlight so that when the high beams come on it will trigger the relay on and 12 volt is supplied to the low beams from the battery. Have had not any electrical problems or warning lights illuminate. Total cost for relays, mounts, wire, and connectors about $30.00 US. It lights up the road like when you pull the turn indicator lever back and both the low/high beams are on before you release the lever. Or you can order a setup from Geno's Garage.

L8r,.............dogger
Old 08-10-2006, 09:03 AM

Lights

Daniel Stern Lighting has good info at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html
Old 08-10-2006, 09:49 AM

Yeah....that MUST be it.....you're brilliant and we are lazy and stupid. Well then, put me in with the group that "lies to tems selvs".
I am not knocking bulbs like Piaas or other HIDs at all, but am perfectly happy with the improvement I found with Silverstars on the low beams. I am not impressed with the high beams, but will be installing the relays and coupling the highs and lows together. $15. for that update, about $30 some for the bulbs, substantially improved lighting without worrying about blinding the oncoming driver who comes around the bend or over the hill on the mountains roads that I regularly drive, bulbs that have lasted now for years, no dash warning, no potential issues with the Man......label me as you wish, but I am happy with my choice.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Banned

They sell Hi/Lo HID kits for under $300. As far as the lamp out goes, all you have to do is swap circuts. Run your new HID's off the fog light wiring and Fog light's off the headlight wiring. You guys spend good amounts of time and money elsewhere on your rigs why get cheap and lazy when it comes to lighting.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:15 PM

They sell Hi/Lo HID kits for under $300. As far as the lamp out goes, all you have to do is swap circuts. Run your new HID's off the fog light wiring and Fog light's off the headlight wiring. You guys spend good amounts of time and money elsewhere on your rigs why get cheap and lazy when it comes to lighting.
Didn't know there's a hi/lo 9007 HID setup. I have only seen lows.
So who made yours?

MikeyB
Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=BigDan]

QUOTE]

http://www.hid-lights.com/

Mine are made by GP Thunder. I scored them off a fellow member for $170 shipped.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:03 PM

So how do you adjust the headlight left to right, the only adjustment screw I can find adjusts up and down. My service manual conveniently shows where the adjustment should be but only shows the verticle adjustment procedure.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:21 PM

The left/right adjustment is between the headlight assembly and the bumper.
It's not easy to see.

MikeyB