Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

been thinking about my EZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
been thinking about my EZ

Yeah I been thinking again, thats dangerous :- Ok the settings on the Ez have basicallty to do with smoke control but smoke relates to unburned fuel. I have no smoke problem to worry me, but be thinking about mileage. While cruising at low rpm, light throttle, looks like the "agressive" setting on the EZ may overfuel for efficiency. Does anyone know, will a lower setting pick up mileage?

Mileage on my truck was easy, before the bombs the thing got 10 to 12 1/2 no matter what the loading or conditions. Usually 10 1/2 as the worst and 12 1/2 as the best. We are talking with the trailer, loaded or empty. But now the range is 9 1/2 to 14 and only time will tell what the actual cumsumpsion is, it is too flexible now depending on how heavy loaded, hills, etc. I think it does better overall. We are talking a range of 230 miles on a tank to 380 or better on a tank. Big range. This is why I am asking if someone has this experience already.

I don't know that changing the setting and making a run or two will give me answers correctly. Looks like for pulling the low boost setting should not matter much. It is nice to smoke the ricers though. As always my main objective is efficiency and pulling power, the smoking ricers I can give up
Old 08-10-2003, 09:58 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Re:been thinking about my EZ

Haulin:
I agree with you. I lost mileage whenI first put my ez on and it was due to two things. My right foot gained weight and that it is using more fuel than it needs to at take off or low speeds. I changed my setting to the middle one and put my right foot on a diet and mileage came back and then some. I think I ended up actually gaining about 1 mpg.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the present time I find no difference. I pulled the TT on a trip on the high setting - got black all over the TT. This last trip I put it on low to keep the soot and fuel of the TT. Fuel mileage is the same.

Another thing to add to the equation is that my tranny slips some - well, a lot. Getting worse. :'( I'm about ready to park it until I get the $$$ to go to DTT. :'( :'( :'( With a new tranny I think I will see a huge improvement in my MPG and maybe a difference will show up on how the EZ is set.

Stan
Old 08-10-2003, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Berry that is what I was "thinkin" And I have the larger injectors also. Last night I ran 150 miles on cruise, 70 mph, 2000 rpm, with a jerk 4 wheeler three foot off my bumper. I was watching the smoke in his headlights whenever the engine would pickup a little after a down grade, she would smoke some. Smoke on pull should equate to lost efficiency. Guess I will try the lower setting and like you said, put the foot on a diet ;D Boy I hate to give up some of the power though The efficiency is more important though.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your not going to lose any power by moving the jumper down a notch. The power will just come on slower. With my comp in EZ mode, I set it on 2x2 for a 3 hour trip to the hill country. Went 270 miles on half a tank. Came home with it on 2x2, got 270 out of 3/8 tank. The first trip I was doing 80mph, 18 psi of FP at 80mph. Second trip, 90mph, 8.8 psi of FP at 90mph. So who knows. I have yet to see a mileage increase or decrease by changing the settings. I will say this though, with the comp on 3X3, my city mileage is improved. The enging isn't working near as hard to acclerate. On the highway, it really just depends on how much boost I am pushing. I try to set it to where max fuel comes on just above the boost I'm running. Make sense?