3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Been thinking that maybe I want a dually...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been thinking that maybe I want a dually...

But the thing is, that I dont need it.

The heaviest thing that I will tow is a 21' Mastercraft boat.

Does anyone on here have a dually that doesnt really need one? Or would you guys advise against getting one unless I need it?

Do you guys have any tips for driving a dually? I have only driven one once, and it was on some narrow road, but it didnt seem like a big deal.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:52 PM

No way can I use the drive through at my credit union. Most fast food drive throughs are problematic. Only one electronic gate at work is wide enough. None of this is that big a deal to me though...just have to be aware.

Worst thing about a dually, buying six tires instead of four. I can't stand the rubber they put on from the factory so I always have to change.

If I didn't have the camper I would not have bought a dually. If I sell the camper and do a fifth wheel, I would keep the dually.

If you like 'em for any reason then I would say go for it.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:18 PM

i say go for it too. i have a landscape business and don't have to have a dually. all of my other trucks have been srw. but i love the stability of the dually loaded and unloaded. i have yet to meet a drive thru that i could not get through. at a few of the banks around here i have to pull the drivers side mirror in just to be safe. driving them is no big deal. like everything else, you get used to it. as utundra stated, the biggest drawback i can think of is having to buy six tires. but really 2 extra tires every year or two isn't going to break the bank.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my second dually. My first was a 90" wide CxC and it wasn't bad but this 8' wide one sucks for all the city driving I do. I was borderline on needing a dually but it was a good deal and everything else about the truck was exactly what I wanted. The stability is a big plus and I can get thru all the drivethrus I need to but I would much rather do without the extra tires, weight, width, lower mpg and a couple of other drawbacks. I have to differ and say DON'T get a dually if you don't need one. Craig
Old 08-24-2008, 09:52 PM

Get what you need and might need. Sold my 06 QC for and 07 MC DRW. Rides so much nicer. I pull a 32ft 5th wheel and wanted extra safty and stability.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:28 PM

I drive a dually and probablly will not go back for hauling and pulling large trailer. The cons: Parking is always a problem, City driving is troublesome, Sooner or later you will damage the rear fenders. Have six tires to buy, Will lose a small amount of fuel milage due to wind resistance and heavier. Ice and snow are problematic also, Rides rougher with no load, Components are generally much more robust, and perhaps more that I forgot.
The pros: Insurance may be much cheaper in some areas, You can throw anything at it and it probablly will do it, You can haul heavier loads without worring, Loaded it's smooth on highways and extremelly stable(I like). It can tow just about any load on a trailer(I grossed 35,000 pounds once), I see practically no milage difference vs what it is, may be slightly less expensive used,
I have a friend that is just as adamate that he can do it with a 2500 and does to a certain extendt.
Bottom line for me. Road hauling and trailer pulling at high speed the dually is unmatched. I have coventional vehicles at either end of my trip so don't have to fight city situations and rough ride. Just what you are comfortable with and want to afford. I'm sure there are plenty other reasons.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by dozer12216
Sooner or later you will damage the rear fenders.

I definately Agree with this. Other than that, I have o complaints.

I haven't got a problem parking, course I have always driven a truck that takes more room :-)
Old 08-25-2008, 06:54 AM

Someone posted that the mirrors or like cat whiskers. If the mirrors make it, the hips will too, seems to work. Drive up window don't seem to be a big problem, except even with mine being a 6.7, the folks at the drive through still have a hard time hearing me, so I just shut it off. My problem is reaching out passed the mirrors to get my order. They have to lean out the window to hand it to me, so sometimes I get dinner and a show.
Parking is a problem sometimes. The marked spots are just wide enough to get the rear tire inside the strips. I always seem to park next to real nice people that clean my finders as they walk by. The length can cause trouble too. So when I can, I park out in the boonies and walk.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:30 AM

Buy the dually. If you have a truck because you need a truck you will love having a dually. You wont look at other (non dually) trucks the same. They are a bit harder to park and all that but the pros way out way the cons. I love the way it tows and hauls.
Buy the dually!
Topper
Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 AM

I was looking for a 2wd 2500 for work and have owned several of them. I do a lot of heavy loading but not much towing and I drive a lot of miles so a diesel is a must. I paid peanuts for a 2wd 3500 DWR Laramie that was a repo and I would not want to go back to a 2500. It is much more stable under load and the times I do tow. At least in the 2wd department I think it looks better too. Parking isn't that big of a deal either... always park my trucks farther out anyways to keep others from dinging it. If you want one then get it... never any regrets here-
Old 08-25-2008, 12:41 PM

I am driving my first dually and I will never own anything else. It is very stable when pulling a load, very stable in corners, and the safety of knowing that if you blow a rear tire most likely you can get off of the freeway or maybe even to a repair facility. I am getting close to 22 mpg (2wd) so I cannot complain. Parking, well I never park next to anybody any way so not an issue for me.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:43 PM

What everyone said!
I might add that it seemed to be more expensive in every way, tires, repairs, fuel, etc.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:51 PM

Parking isnt a problem, it parks easier then my srw ford did. never met a drive thru i didnt fit thru, except my girlfiends bank, but her ford focus only clears by a few inches.lol The only draw back is buyin 6 tires. I do mostly city drivin
Old 08-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was on the fence also about SRW vs. DRW. I listened to my wife and got the SRW (as she said, "Why do you need a DRW truck? You're not a contractor?").

Well....I should have gone with my first choice and got the DRW from day one. I ended up doing the conversion and although it was expensive when all was done it was worth it. One of my trailers is a 24' v-nose Thule sled trailer. Only about 10k loaded but its a freaking parachute and gets pushed all over the place (inside clear is 7'-6"). There is a huge difference when pulling this with a SRW vs. the DRW after the conversion. Pulling the gooseneck is also easier and I don't have to worry about tongue weight as much.

Parking is sometimes a pain, but I've accepted the fact to just park at the back side of parking lots. I could use the exercise and in most cases I get into the store quicker then driving around looking for a spot, waiting for a guy to pull out, etc.

Yes - narrow bank ATMs and drive-thrus can be a challenge, but well worth it considering the piece of mind and security you get when towing or hauling heavy. Decision comes down to how much each is worth to you.

Although I don't do 'contract work' (LOL) I'll probably never NOT own a dually for towing. JMO!
Old 08-25-2008, 01:49 PM

I have a 2004 2wd dually and am very happy with it. I mostly use it tow my 24 foot enclosed car trailer. This past Friday, during tropical storm Fay, I had to move my daughter to Tampa to start her junior year at University of South Florida. I tried to put it off a couple of days, but Friday was her only day to sign in to her dorm. It is about 200 miles each way and I never knew my trailer was behind me. The weather was really too bad to be on the roads, but I had no choice. You can always have too little truck, but never too much truck.

Quick Reply: Been thinking that maybe I want a dually...