Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Banks Twin Ram Intake Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got one of Hellmans comming to the house ran around $440 or so. I am at the point where I am trying to ring that last drop out but I agree this is def. one of the last mods needing to be done when you get this far you should be on the verge of bankruptcy or already their.
Brandon
Old 10-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Banned

I have a Banks Twin Ram on my truck and am glad I bought it.Now I am not a Banks fan as I also feel they are over priced with some of their products.The Twin Ram I have was bought off of the Dagelish built ex TDR truck called "Two Timer".The current owner who lives in Tennessee decided to go to the new ATS deal and had the Banks intake in the classifieds and I bought it.I was looking for a way to even out the front and rear exhaust temps and felt the intake would do that easily.

After installing it I have seen a 100-150 degree reduction in the rear 3 cylinder exhaust temps to make them almost even in temp with the front 3 cylinders.I run two exhaust temp gauses and have checked my findings with both mechanical (Hewitt built EEP gauges) and a digital SPA and Corsa Intellidash gauges.I did it to ensure that there was no mistakes made with my readings and was happy to find out that my thoughts were correct,that it did even out the egts.

Is it expensive,certainly,I will not dispute that.Is it better than some of the others made now,I can not answer that.HOWEVER,with most all of the new intake horns being built today NONE have split their manifolds to allow the air diversion to smooth out into the intake plenum and feed the rear 3 cylinders almost as evenly as the front 3.So while most would squawk at the price for the Twin Ram I'd have to say its well worth the money in long term savings.I spent alot of money working on my motor and do not wish to allow heat due to restricted airflow from a incorrectly place factory intake cause a meltdown.

Hope that helps some for those who might want one.......Andy
Old 10-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Chapter President

I don't know why I even throwing this out there but when I look around this site or other sites and see the Dodge's with 7-8-900 hp or more and when you get a glimpse under the hood it is a dirty mess, usually and it has a stock intake on it. Seems that if they can bang that much hp out on a stock intake I personally could not see spending $600 on the twin set up.

Although reading Hammers post he makes some good points and has his scientific proof/testing and numbers that show there is a benefit. For me I guess it would depend on the egt's and the difference between front and rear and how close to the "boiling" point the rear was getting under extreme loads. On a stock or mildly modded truck probably not a big deal. But if your pouring the edge to it, fire hose for fuel lines and injectors like the nozzles on the end of the fire hose, then I could see a benefit.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:53 PM

Ive always have wanted one but it was purely for looks not for performance. But the reason I do not have one is i am not in a position to spend 600 dollars on something that just looks good.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Banned

I don't know why I even throwing this out there but when I look around this site or other sites and see the Dodge's with 7-8-900 hp or more and when you get a glimpse under the hood it is a dirty mess, usually and it has a stock intake on it. Seems that if they can bang that much hp out on a stock intake I personally could not see spending $600 on the twin set up.
Yep....
Your right,mine is a dirty mess for sure.

Since the majority of aftermarket manifolds available are around $375-$450,depending on where you buy them and which one you want,I feel the Twin Ram is not that far out of line price wsie.Remember,with the other you get only the air horn and hardware to mount them and with the Twin Ram kit you get manifold plate,cold air piping, air horn and all the hardware to mount it.

Again,its not cheap and not for everyone but I am happy with mine and its results.....Andy
Old 10-14-2007, 06:05 AM

Hammer,

Does the Banks twin ram have 2 grid heaters or just another square block for the rear cylinders?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 74dart
Hammer,

Does the Banks twin ram have 2 grid heaters or just another square block for the rear cylinders?
You spilt your grid heaters between the two. There is actually 2 sets of heaters in your intake

Chris
Old 10-14-2007, 02:44 PM

Ok cool. Were thinking about creating out own twin ram intake while were installing my twin setup that is when I finally buy the other turbo. We have some SS pipe laying around the house were thinking about using.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 74dart
Ive always have wanted one but it was purely for looks not for performance. But the reason I do not have one is i am not in a position to spend 600 dollars on something that just looks good.
That is precisly why I asked! And I definitely don't want to spend that money for looks..unless its on a ranch hand rear bumper
I did not appreciate the first response saying to try a "simple search " from BC847. I did, just could not find a thread with the EXACT answer I was looking for. If I were to write a thread asking "what is a 10 plate" then he would be excused for saying that.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer
Yep....
Your right,mine is a dirty mess for sure.

Since the majority of aftermarket manifolds available are around $375-$450,depending on where you buy them and which one you want,I feel the Twin Ram is not that far out of line price wsie.Remember,with the other you get only the air horn and hardware to mount them and with the Twin Ram kit you get manifold plate,cold air piping, air horn and all the hardware to mount it.

Again,its not cheap and not for everyone but I am happy with mine and its results.....Andy
You forgot to mention the other benefit of the twin ram,how much easier the fuel filter is to change

Bob
Old 10-19-2007, 05:03 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by kevellis32
Well I guess my real question is...Does the twin ram intake make much of a difference for anyone who has it. And if it does, is there any other company that makes a cheaper alternative to this set up. Spending 600$ on something like that seems a bit extreme if you ask me. But that is banks.
I don't know what they charge but check it out (mid left of the page) ~ http://hellmannperformance.com/Products.htm
Old 10-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can u guys with the stock intake horn get to ur fuel plate without taking the intak horn off? Because with the twin ram u have u take it off everytime which gets annoying (still can be done in like 5 minutes though).
Old 10-19-2007, 06:49 PM
The Guru

I run the ATS manifold, its looks cool and has holes that will work with my methanol injection kit. I think that you could hog out your existing air horn and get the same thing. It really opens up in comparison to the stocker and its doesn't have a sharp bend. When my turbos start to spool and light harder than before. They really seem to come on stronger in the mid boost area than before and my overall boost # are down from the stock intercooler/air horn days.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Box5
Can u guys with the stock intake horn get to ur fuel plate without taking the intak horn off? Because with the twin ram u have u take it off everytime which gets annoying (still can be done in like 5 minutes though).
I can but it is so hard to get to the bolt at the front right that is easer just to take it of.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Box5
A couple of Allen head cap screws on the top of the AFC cover is all that's required to access the plate with out removing the air horn.

Quick Reply: Banks Twin Ram Intake Alternatives?