Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bad Diesel From The Station??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Diesel From The Station??

So I filled with diesel this afternoon at lunch. When I jumped back in after work to leave, I started the motor, let oil pressure come up, idle a few n' dropped it into drive. Motor died. Never happened before. Got home, let it set for about n' hour and left again with no problems whatsoever. After sitting for just under n' hour, I went to leave n' same scenario, started fine but when putting in gear it would die. Finally after three attempts and dropping it into gear at 1200rpms I was able to leave. There appears to be a small flat spot from about 1100-1200 to about 16 or 1700...under medium throttle pressure. Easing into it there is no prob. Anyone else ever had this prob?? My immediate guess is the fuel, since the truck has never acted this way before. No bad codes after checking there either. Will put a fuel guage on it at SparkChaser's house n' go from there. Thanks for the input all...
Old 05-19-2003, 11:59 PM

Re:Bad Diesel From The Station??

happened to me once, station just dumped in fuel and it stirred up the sediments. clogged the fuel filter and killed the lift pump. now i tryn only fill up at truck stops. hope things work out for u
Old 05-20-2003, 05:57 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Another thing to check, did the tanker truck deliver gasoline into the underground diesel tanks?<br>It's happened before. :
Old 05-20-2003, 03:36 PM

Yea it sounds like just a bad tank of fuel, I try to avoid going anywhere they filled up in the last hour. Unfortunately I don't know if they have some of the time. Problem with truck stop diesel is sometimes it is less cetane (most semis require about 40 I believe), however the additional sediment isn't an issue then.<br><br>I can't imagine it running on the gas unless very little was added to the tank, in which case it'd probably just knock excessively until it was all burnt out.<br><br>Like quantrill88 said, it would be wise to start with a new fuel filter. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:42 PM

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=7;threadid=14944;start=0#140145 date=1053428224]
Another thing to check, did the tanker truck deliver gasoline into the underground diesel tanks?
It's happened before. :
[/quote]
Yea one of my friends was putting (what he thought was diesel) but it turned out to be 93oct. Blew 6 injectors.He was quite &gt;. It was a PSD tho.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:43 PM

Thanks to those that replied...the input is appreciated. ;D<br><br>Prob is finally solved. Fuel psi was at near 0 at wot...thinking lift pump, I took it to the local dealer. After telling me they had fixed the prob, I reattached the psi guage, (at SparkChaser's urging...thanx dude. ;D) and what do you know? Same prob...but, after replacing the fuel filter, all appears to be better. 12-13 at idle n' can't seem to pull it lower than 5-6 at wot...upside, I know which dealer NOT to go to nemore, truck has a new lift pump for free...<br><br>Downside? I'm waiting for Murphy's law to kick in...