Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

B1 Shootout: KSB1B vs. KSB1 vs. B1B vs. Full B1

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
B1 Shootout: KSB1B vs. KSB1 vs. B1B vs. Full B1

Ok, what's the rank order of of B1s from fastest to slowest spooling? I am under the impression that it's:

KSB1B- super duper fast, but chokes after 425hp or so
KSB1- not quite as fast, but has longer legs to 450hp.
B1B- a little slower still, but will cool 475hp and pull hard
B1- SLOOOW but handles a LOT of fuel and will cool 500hp.

How big of a spoolup difference is there from one flavor to another? Which plays a bigger role in spoolup, housing size or wheel size? (the above assumes wheel size is a much subtler change than housing size).

Has anyone changed from one variant to another and found what you were looking for? Can you swap housings like you can on a Holset? For example, if you get a B1B and decide it's too slow, can you just swap housings to get a KSB1B?

I've determined that a B1 is the single charger for me, but I'm not sure which flavor just yet. Right now, I'm leaning towards a B1B. R.ebel puts down 500+hp with his, and it's got enough spoolup to tow in the Rockies at high elevation.

Any inputs from the peanut gallery?

Justin
Old 05-26-2004, 12:18 PM

I'm looking for specifics within the B1 line-- EGT, spoolup rpm, boost, HP (if dynoed), etc.

Justin
Old 05-27-2004, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justin

Can't answer a lot of your questions but I would say the KSB-1B is limited to 375-400 hp max. Works great with my DTT trans but don't think I would consider it with your manual tranny, even at high alttitude, unless you've decided to stay under 400 hp.

It spools faster than your stock HX-35 but flattens out quickly on the top end. Holds 8-10 lbs boost at 75 mph (gross wt) which is nice. Suspect bigger B-1's run lower. Also no Hole for waste gate on KSB-1B.

Would also like to know about changing housing. Thought I heard of it being done-but not sure.

Drove an KSB-1 at sea level in a 435 hp rig and was very impressed with spool up & top end.
Good Luck
Rowland
Old 05-27-2004, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone got some pix of them?
Old 05-27-2004, 01:15 PM

Mike

Do you mean different sizes, side by side? If so, would not tell you much; all B-1 turbos use same compressor side/size.
RJ
Old 05-27-2004, 01:56 PM

I have the KSB1-2 with the HX40 outlet. So far it don't spool near as fast as my HX35/12 did. I'm hoping timing takes care of some of that. It does push enough air to clean up the 370's pretty well, and it has a hell of a mid range and top end.
Can't get the EGT's past 1335* peak, and that's standing on it from a dead stop.
That's down from well over 1500 with the 35/12. Cruise EGT's have been as low as ~650* at 7-9 lbs of boost, 80mph.

If I get a little more spool up out of the timing change I'll be REALLY happy with it, but even best case scenario I don't expect it to spool like a 35/12. Bigger wheel, bigger shaft, more rotational mass pushing more air. To me, that doesn't add up to faster spooling than the little 35/12, but what do I know?
Old 05-27-2004, 02:01 PM

i really want to look at the outlet on the b1's. they do require a secial down pipe don't they? and by the sounds of it there are many different configuration on the hot side. mike
Old 05-27-2004, 02:33 PM

Mike

Sorry if I misunderstood your "pix" question. Don't know how different they all are. Mine took a V-Clamp straight onto a 4"downpipe, but because the B1-2 exhaust housing is about 1" longer than my Holsett, had to cut & weld more bend to get downpipe away from tunnel. Some others have said they didn't have this problem, some have????
Was not a fun surprise at the time, since I ordered the downpipe from the B-1 salesman, but works great.
Rowland
Old 05-27-2004, 03:08 PM

I got the downpipe from Piers......bolted right up. I think you can get them in either configuration, HX35 or HX 40 outlet. I would imagine the HX35 outlet uses the stock elbow and clamp.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:15 PM

There's a pic of the B1 outlets floating around-- I saw it in one of the 6 million B1 threads I have read. It's startling to see how much bigger the B1 is than an hx35.

FWIW, I think it's unreasonable to expect a much larger turbo to spool like a smaller one. For what they offer, I hear the B1s offer respectable spoolup- especially considering the huge mass they have to make them tough.

Justin
Old 05-27-2004, 03:34 PM

Cowhand

I believe your KSB-1 is equal to a 14 or16 cm turbine housing. My KSB1-2 is roughly equivalent to an 11 cm according to Rod. Amazes me that small a turbine can pump out 45-50 lbs of useful boost!

I went from an HY-35, 9cm to the KSB1-2 and took only 1 day to no longer feel the difference, it was that mild an increase in lag time. I thought Rod said his testing showed KSB1-2 as fast or faster than HX-35. Could be wrong....but it's pretty quick.
Rowland
Old 05-27-2004, 04:53 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Re: B1 Shootout: KSB1B vs. KSB1 vs. B1B vs. Full B1

B1 101

Hohn, you pretty much nailed it on the head with your ratings, however I would modify them slightly to the following. For 12 valves, knock about 25 HP off each rating. For the 03, its going to be WILDLY different depending on the box/injector combo you use.

KSB1B (KSB1-2) - 400
KSB1 (KSB1-1) - 425
B1B (B1-2) - 475
B1 (B1-1) - 500

These are max numbers that we've been able to run at reasonably safely in the widest variety of circumstances.

You'll notice the -2 and -1? This specifies your turbine WHEEL size. The KS (or no KS) specifies turbine sizing. Don't get too hung up on turbine sizing, as AR is whats important (ie: how much air can I flow. This is a function of BOTH wheel size and turbine size).

As far as spoolup, this is a function of your fueling. Lets say for example, you've got a KSB1-2 that is spooling sweetly, and running right in the optimum range. If you stick a KSB1-1 (the next fastest spooling charger) on it, you'll probably notice a fair bit of lag. However, if you have that same KSB1-2, and you're overfueled a hair, and stick a KSB1-1 on it, you may not see much, if any, difference in spool-up. Its all about mass flow and selecting the proper charger for your fueling levels.

Which influences spool-up more, the turbine or the wheel? Its hard to say. The larger wheel is definitely harder to get cranked up, but the larger turbine will have lower gas velocity to move the wheel. Its about balance. You can't simply stuff a little wheel into a big housing and expect wonders.

Housings can be swapped among turbos with the same turbine wheel size. In other words you can swap between a KSB1-1 and a B1-1, and a KSB1-2 and a B1-2. You can't swap between -2 and -1 wheeled options, as that requires balancing shafts and remachining turbine housings.

Cowhand
Check your turbine over, and see if you have a turbine with a disabled wastegate. If you do, you have a B1-2, versus a KSB1-2. The KSB1-2 has no wastegate anywhere on the turbo. We've installed a pile of KSB1-2s, even on stock trucks, and have NEVER had spoolup that was worse than an HX35/12. With the right fueling and box, we've often found faster spool-up than an HY35/9. If you've got the right turbo, I'd look for an issue with the turbo, or fueling side that may have corresponded to the turbo swap.

Rod
Old 05-28-2004, 07:34 AM

Hon I have the B1KS I beleive to be -2 but not 100% its scotties old turbo.

Anyways my experience on my truck. I swapped out an HX 40. Went from begging the EGT gauge with my box and injectors to sitting at 1260* WOT with the scotty 2 wide open. So I went from not knowing what I was hitting for EGT to being in check that said alot to me right there.
Secondly I don't care who says different my experience with my truck is that my B series turbo spools every bit as fast and I would go as far to say faster then my PDR 40.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:41 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Originally posted by hellotbone
Hon I have the B1KS I beleive to be -2 but not 100% its scotties old turbo.
Jamie, you've actually got a KSB1-1

Rod
Old 05-28-2004, 10:33 AM

Which is bigger?

Quick Reply: B1 Shootout: KSB1B vs. KSB1 vs. B1B vs. Full B1