Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ATS Transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Jack:

Like "Stakeman" I would also like to please ask if you could
let this thread stay "open" until "Dargo" is able to give us
a final report.

Thanks Jack!

---------
John_P
Old 02-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Merrick:

Clean your P.M. box out!!! Software says it is full!!

----------
John_P
Old 02-28-2004, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoops. I think Jack Filled it up,,

Merrick
Old 03-01-2004, 03:11 PM

installing dealer

We are the ones that installed Dargo's transmission. We employ 52 trained service professionals. The technician that installed this transmission has been ASE master technician for ten years. His training has been specialized on rear wheel drive transmissions since 1994. This is the first forum I have ever been in and will probably be the last. We worked with Clint at ATS, and he was very professional and accesible, which is very important in the type of business that we are in. In clint defense he could not see the transmission and had to take our word for what we were telling him, which would have been dificult for any business. I personally checked the transmission fluid level before we removed the valve body and it was not low on fluid, I personally witnessed the air tests. Unfortunatley there was no seal in the clutch. I have been the service manager for 12 years, and I tell you that even a 10 year master tech will make mistakes, but not this time. I would go ahead and post every Daimler Chrysler class that I have sent my technician in the last ten years to prove his qualifications but I am afraid it would be irrelevent , after reading all the responses you will all believe what you want. But I have the fortune to know the truth.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Tech,
Thanks for joining to help in clearing that up.

Ed Anderson
Old 03-01-2004, 06:25 PM

Okay everybody, final report: I'm out of money! Other than that, It seems to be just my luck that I was involved in an unfortunate series of situations that seemed to compile one upon another. Even though I collect lots of firearms, and even have a few class III weapons, I do not have anyone to hunt. As I stated several times before and will state one last time, even with the best of products and technicians, at given times problems can still occur. Those given times seem to be when I am purchasing. Alright, enough with the humor I'm trying to use to keep me from crying. The bottom line is $6649.64 and two months later I have what appears to be a fine transmission. If not, I will hunt down all those who promised me that ATS transmissions are second to none! (Just kidding!!!) My last "issue" I had mentioned in my earlier posts was that after making some price concessions at ATS, Clint did not want to give me any warranty on my ATS transmission. Obviously you can see where that was an issue with me. Today Clint offered to give me a parts warranty on the transmission and, therefore, I am closing this particular chapter on my truck modifications. As soon as I convince my wife that I really only spent about $2000 on my transmission repair, I will be looking for the next logical step on improving the performance on my truck. Turbo change? Intake? Second engine? Seriously, I'm open for suggestions. I'm considering selling one of my 5 kids to cover the costs. (Again, just kidding!! Not about having 5 kids, but about selling one - I'm the biggest softie and kid lover there is - mine are all spoiled) In closing, I do want to sincerely thank all who have participated in this lively and very popular post. Wow! What response. What a forum! Thank you.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:55 PM

Glad everything worked out and you are back on the road. You will love the tranny if it works as good as mine does. I'm glad you got great service at Expressway Dodge too. 'Oh and if you want to hock some of them guns I'm always looking for more weapons.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:16 PM

Was any of the money from shipping charges,defective parts & additional labor refunded to you by ATS or are you out all that $?

Kurt
Old 03-01-2004, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$6600.......ouch!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:03 AM

Dargo

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. If you don't mind me asking what is the hourly rate for the dealer you chose. I know I flinch every time I have to take the wife's car into the local Dodge dealer. From the numbers you posted I know you are feeling the sting of dealer pricing too.

Edward
Old 03-02-2004, 10:52 AM

Sorry to here about all the troubles you had.Were you ever rembursed all your money that you had to dish out extra,either from ats or you're dealer? The only reason why i'am asking is because,i'am going to upgrade my transmission.So if ats did not come to the part,it's a company i'd rather not deal with.
Just my .02
Old 03-02-2004, 07:53 PM

Hmmmm.....I think after getting burnt on the first 3 large, I'd take my money elsewhere......that's enough dough to buy two performance tranmissions. A 50% discount? No thanks, no sense in throwing good money after bad.

Dargo, I'm glad you finally got it worked out, sorry it cost you so much in time, aggravation, and most of all money.

When I chose a trans builder, I researched posts on both DTR and TDR. I won't name any names, but between the two most contentious trans builders, brand x had way more negative feedback than brand y in regards to actual functional problems with the trans. I looked at brand y versus brand g, and I couldn't afford brand y by the time core charges and shipping were tacked on.

After talking with the actual builder of brand g, I found that there might be a fair amount of "embellishment" in the claimed modifications to brands x and y transmissions. I guess it comes down to semantics, some of the claimed modifications were made by the factory as the model years progressed, some by the builders.

The bottom line is that my builder of choice says that he will stand behind his product at my anticipated HP range with a 100K mile warrenty on the trans and unlimited miles on the TC. I haven't been able to find anybody thus far who has tested this warrenty issue with him. The best part of it was the trans shipped to my local freight terminal for several hundred less than the cost of the trans alone from any of the other three builders. I installed it myself, but even with professional installation, I'd have come out money ahead.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would walk away after investing 3K, and not try to solve the problem? Don't know if I could do that.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:38 PM

Looks like it cost another $3600 to "solve" the problem. TC lining came apart? Well, that would certainly ruin the VB, contaminate the coolers and necessitate that the original trans at least be rebuilt. For the manufacturer to offer a replacement trans at half price is almost laughable, seein' as how his product cause the original trans to be useless. Now Dargo is out the money for labor, his trans is useless, and he has to pay for the repairs caused by the faulty TC. Not to mention shipping, downtime, and headaches. Then the 'dyno tested" replacement trans, that Dargo just paid for, is shipped without a critical seal. More money out of pocket for labor, more downtime, more headaches.

If Clint takes care of the additional labor and shipping, kudos to him. It still doesn't explain the missing seal on a "dyno tested" trans, nor does it compensate for Dargo's loss of the use of his truck and associated headaches. Maybe ATS has some QC problems. Successful companies evolve and expand based on their ability to recognize opportunities for improvement and take advantage of them. I hope for ATS's sake, they see this as one of those opportunities.

Speaking for me personally, I'd have gotten my money back for the TC and VB and went with someone else. After two instances of faulty parts being sent out, I would never have the confidence to, say, haul a 3 horse slant up a two lane mountain road without worrying that the trans was going to come apart half way up.....
Old 03-03-2004, 11:05 PM

Cowhand

While you are doing the math you might want to take into consideration labor rates. ATS did not choose to use one of the most expensive auto repair facilities available.
Secondly it seems Dargo and ATS have come to an agreement that is acceptable to both parties. Dargo and ATS are the only one's privy to the complete details of that agreement so perhaps it would be best to trust their view of what is fair and acceptable.

Edward

Quick Reply: ATS Transmissions?