Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

ATS Transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boughtadodge, Dargo

Not to start a war but how would that transmission off been dyno tested if It did not have this seal in place.
That is a reasonable question and knowing how Clint cares about quality I am sure he is having a discussion with the appropriate people inside his organization about that issue.
Dargo stuff does happen; I don’t like it when it happens to me so I know this was not easy for you. I am glad to hear it is resolved now. I have been driving my ATS transmission for just over two years and am very satisfied. I know when you get it out and drive it that you will have a all over your face.

Edward
Old 02-26-2004, 01:38 PM

Im just thankful for you that you do not rely on your truck to make your living like some members here hauling etc. Some could definately not afford the down time. You are a very patient man far more then I would be my hat is off to you.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:20 PM

I guess this is why I went with Brand "G"........5K miles so far and it works as advertised......

Makes me an amused bystander in the tranny wars too....
Old 02-26-2004, 07:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Likewise I went with brand "S".
Figured if no one was fighting about them they must be doing something right.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:07 PM

It was not a good Idea to let a third party install the Transmission

I dont care how good his credentials are.You do not know what motivates him.If money is his motivator,its in his best interest for the job to go wrong,and he can blame someone else.Cause he still gets paid.I don't think it was wise of ATS to let you, let someone else, install thier unit.Its their reputation on the line.I guarantee you if the job was costing the technician, attention to detail would be impecable,and details are the difference.It might be cheaper for you to ship ATS your truck.I guarantee you, their attention to details will solve this nightmare.Please don't have a repair Shop install a component that you bought, especially something as complicated as a transmission.You are asking for trouble.It was a poor arrangement, and therefore some of the responsiblity is yours. Hope you resolve this nightmare for ATS's sake and yours. Merv
Old 02-27-2004, 10:06 PM

I agree with Huff nPuff. I didn’t get an ATS tranny but in all fairness it is always a good idea to let them or one of their affiliates do the install. They are the ones that have their necks on the line. Some other shop could care less if it works because they will still get paid (not saying that is what happened here). But if one of their affiliates did the work then there would be no questions.
If there is more trouble after this then I would take it to one of ATSs affiliates. It’s only fair to them.
I drove from VA to FL to get the job done and I’m confident it was done right.
It’s a big investment in money and time for both parties. I would get the best of their group to do it no mater who you go with.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Muted User

I woudln't put a missing seal on the installer. I did my own TC VB and BI shaft and had that tranny torn down quite a ways and its not that complicated. There are plenty of compitent people out there to install a transmission. If you ask me ATS needs to work on there quality control. But trust me "brand S" isn't perfect either. we are a suncoast installer and have sent quite a few of there "race" transmissions back on warranty. But suncoast is good about covering all the costs. and ships them out fast. They will also take trade on their TC's and VB's if only install those parts and then have your transmission go out.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Expressing your opinion of the installer without knowing him or ever talking to him doesn't hold much merit. I've worked with some very good Dodge techs who were very knowledgeable of the product, knew what made it work and most importantly, could recognize the weak points. In my old 95 gasser the trans went out. I was experienced enough to do a stock rebuild using the factory guidelines, but the guy I worked with drug in cores and picked out numerous heavier duty parts from 47rh's that would work in the 46rh. That trans was still goin strong when I sold the truck and even though it was only a 1/2 ton, I relied on it to pull my 8K enclosed race trailer. That little truck pulled 7% grades in 115+ heat more times than I care to think about. It would be interesting to see/hear the installers take on this situation, but I doubt that will happen. At least it sounds like he was working with ATS and the customer to resolve this problem. We did have an rv'er that was down for the winter stop in our dealer a few months back. His ATS converter was shuddering on lock up and he brought us a new ATS converter to install for him. The paint (purple) was burned off the front where the lock up clutch is. No slam here on the ATS product, as matter of fact the customer was happy as hell with the trans. It seemed that when he bought it (the trans) he underestimated his sickness for bombing his truck and went above and beyond the converter that was recommended for his useage. The convertor that came out resembled a stock one, but the new one was their Triple lock. I'm considering going that route with my 01 someday.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:29 AM

Huff nPuff, I'm still trying to work out one final issue, which I won't mention as you are someone who obviously asserts their opinions on issues without being capable of acquiring or understanding the facts. First off, it is not that difficult to install a transmission. Secondly, after contacting the BBB and other dealers about who would be the absolute best at installing my transmission, I made my choice on a shop that had a 10 year ASE certified master transmission technician that does several transmission repairs per week. I did not go for simply the cheapest shop. As I mentioned earlier, I generally do my own work, but with as much money as I was spending for a transmission, I wanted to leave no room for installer error, i.e. me. After carefully reading your post, the bottom line of your post is: 1) that you "don't care", 2) that nobody but you are "wise", 3) I used poor judgment and am at fault, 4) ATS wasn't wise, and 5) the installer is a crook. Well, what a post! Not that it would matter or register with you, but I extensively researched both the component supplier/builder and installer, laid out thousands and thousands of dollars and didn't have my truck for months. As I stated numerous times before, stuff happens. Unfortunately I've been on the receiving end of that stuff, but hey, I'm a big boy and I can take that. I'm currently working with both ATS and the repair shop to try to make things right. I'm really down to only one issue now. It'll all work out one way or another. However, a post like yours only reflects on you. I needn't mention how it reflects.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:35 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Last warning boys. Be nice or get a spanking.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:54 AM

Merv? What are you talking about? I think you have a bit of cranial rectum inversion going on.

Are you saying Dargo would be better at installing the ATS trans than a 10 year ASE certified master transmission technician?

Merv, I know you know mechanical stuff,, but come on,, use some common sense, and look at the big picture.

How I see it, is, ATS messed up, so far they've been caught in one "twist of the truth", and haven't made this situation right, Yet.

Dargo,, I hope ATS makes things right.

My $.02

Merrick
Old 02-28-2004, 09:04 AM

MCummings, thanks. You are right in that I am a "shade tree" mechanic and I could easily be shot down on my abilities by any qualified technician. That is exactly why I didn't do the work. I do, however, want to state that ATS is working with me and there is but one issue yet to be resolved. I won't go into what it is, but I will gladly post my .02 worth when it is hopefully resolved.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:01 AM

Merrick,

Your not telling the whole story about that truck. Your a vendor and twisting the truth. Pot calling the kettle black.

The better designed shaft would be your opinion.

Funny how the only person who is willing to wait and see what happens with this situation is Dargo. Since he knows more about what is going on then us. Why don't we wait until it is done to bash.

Jack,
Don't close this thread because of this post. It needs to stay open so that there can be a close to this situation. If anything needs to be done, then remove this post.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:21 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Can we not read here? Can someone tell me what my last post said? If you guys want to have a tranny war, keep it OFF MY SITE! Understand?

The only person who should be posting in here now is Dargo, once he resolves his issue.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:37 AM

Dargo,

Let us know how things work out.

Merrick

Quick Reply: ATS Transmissions?