Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

APPS High Idler

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad I ran across this thread. Over on the TDR, we have been attempting the same thing. In our scenario, we are cutting the three wires that you are tapping. Needless to say, I like yours MUCH better.

I'm building mine up to work with my remote start at well. It should be pretty trick. Push button to start, another button to high idle, and then key-in, turn to on position, de-energizes my relay and returns idle to normal.

My real reason for posting is to add that I'm using a 10k trimmer instead of a linear taper pot. By using the trimmer, you get a much better control over the voltage, and you they are also less succeptable to creeping up or down.

Some other things guys on the TDR figured out...
1. If the ECM sees less than .46 volts, it's not happy (by tapping and not cutting, You've eliminated this problem).
2. 1 volt to the circuit equates to about 1900RPM.

You guys have done a great job with this, and I appreciate your sharing your ideas.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 01-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by AndyMan
Glad I ran across this thread. Over on the TDR, we have been attempting the same thing. In our scenario, we are cutting the three wires that you are tapping. Needless to say, I like yours MUCH better.

I'm building mine up to work with my remote start at well. It should be pretty trick. Push button to start, another button to high idle, and then key-in, turn to on position, de-energizes my relay and returns idle to normal.

My real reason for posting is to add that I'm using a 10k trimmer instead of a linear taper pot. By using the trimmer, you get a much better control over the voltage, and you they are also less succeptable to creeping up or down.

Some other things guys on the TDR figured out...
1. If the ECM sees less than .46 volts, it's not happy (by tapping and not cutting, You've eliminated this problem).
2. 1 volt to the circuit equates to about 1900RPM.

You guys have done a great job with this, and I appreciate your sharing your ideas.

Thanks,
Andy

HUH...might have to look on TDR and read up on that as well.....thanks for the heads up......BUT i like Tapping instead of cutting as well......
Old 01-16-2007, 10:16 AM

Can I get a 10k trimmer at Radio Shack?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:18 AM

Cant have too many ideas....and borrow from the best of both......
Old 01-16-2007, 10:20 AM

Yep Dan that's them. I tried to PM you a link to my thread there both on here and TDR, but you don't accept PM's.

Hopefully posting this isn't against forum regs:
http://www.tdr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172932

You should be able to get a trimmer at radio shack. I got mine from a local electronics place here in Nashville. Mine is a board mount, it doesn't have big lugs like a pot does. For this purpose, and pot SHOULD WORK FINE. I just chose to build mine on a circuit board, cause that's what the other guys were doing and I already have the parts. The point of the trimmer is that it's just more accurate... it's certainly NOT a neccessity.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:26 AM

Also note in the bottom schematic (the one with the white background)that Dan linked in that there are basically two circuits. The top circuit is the high idle, the bottom one is a turbo timer. All those black dots represent a SPDT relay for each set of vertical three.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:31 AM

Doesn't do anything for a non-member!!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Yeah, That link is more for Dan. B/c of procedures with his employer, he can't accept PM's, so posting it here in the open was the only way I could provide him with the link.

Can you see the images he posted?

If not, I'll get them up over here.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by AndyMan
Yeah, That link is more for Dan. B/c of procedures with his employer, he can't accept PM's, so posting it here in the open was the only way I could provide him with the link.

Can you see the images he posted?

If not, I'll get them up over here.
Yeah...much appreciated......

I tired to post the images...but they just linked for some reason.....o well...as long as they pull up.....

I did link this thread to the TDR guys...so some might come and add over here......
Old 01-16-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
Yeah...much appreciated......

I tired to post the images...but they just linked for some reason.....o well...as long as they pull up.....

I did link this thread to the TDR guys...so some might come and add over here......
Not a member so I can't pull up any of the links...
Old 01-16-2007, 11:11 AM

I'd love to see some pics. Also I never thought of using a trimmer. I really don't know if the reason I'm seeing the jump is due to the linear taper or because of the Smarty. I tested it without the Smarty and I didn't have an issue, but now that I think about it, the switch was already turned on when I started the truck. Sometimes, I really hate electronics.

Also if someone would post schematics from over there that would great as well.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cspotrun
I'd love to see some pics. Also I never thought of using a trimmer. I really don't know if the reason I'm seeing the jump is due to the linear taper or because of the Smarty. I tested it without the Smarty and I didn't have an issue, but now that I think about it, the switch was already turned on when I started the truck. Sometimes, I really hate electronics.

Also if someone would post schematics from over there that would great as well.
Andy would be the man for that....i woudl suggest printing them out....little hard to read as is.......
Old 01-16-2007, 11:26 AM

Is there a way to do this by just splicing into the APPS signal wire, and dropping 12v from the battery down to say, 1 or 2V or whatever it takes to rev the motor up to 1300 or so RPM ?

I am seeing a 2k ohm resistor, and then a 10k pot, for about 12k ohms. So 12k ohms is getting you about .5 volts right? From 5v... then I~=0.0037 ?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:48 AM

Got pics to work.......look above.....
Old 01-16-2007, 11:50 AM

One thing I thought was interesting after reading though the TDR threads (and actually linetrash75 mentioned it earlier in this thread), if you want to have the idle higher without setting codes you need to tell the ECM that the truck is in PTO mode. It appears that grounding the PTO wire will do this.

Quick Reply: APPS High Idler