Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Anyone lower their 2500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone lower their 2500?

Thinking of lowering mine some, mainly because its a little high to hoist parts, etc into and I dont generally tow more than a 18ft trailer with a 3500lb~ car

I see that belltech has a kit for 3" drop springs up front and shackles/spring mount for the rear to lower it 4"(even though it looks like it might be a pain to swap the front spring mount)
The front im sure will need an alignment with a drop that low, but will the suspension geometry still be ok?
Also the driveshaft/driveline angle has me a little worried if it needs to stay pretty close to the angle its at now...
Just wondering if anyone has lowered theres and what parts you went with...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Banned

Member Gunracer1 lowered his. Among a lot of other things...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Member Gunracer1 lowered his. Among a lot of other things...
I asked him, he said he cut a coil up front and dearched the rear(had it lowered 5" in the rear but brought it back up due to hitting the bump stop, needing a C-notch), but id like to be able to go back to stock by unbolting rather than buying new stock parts later...
plus im not sure about the ride quality with the cut springs...
Thats my only concern, I see 3 or 4 companies that sell the coil springs and hanger/shackles, but I dont see anyone that has tried them...(which may tell me something )
Old 06-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacked97
Thats my only concern, I see 3 or 4 companies that sell the coil springs and hanger/shackles, but I dont see anyone that has tried them...(which may tell me something )
Part of the reason that you don't see many trying them might be partially because many of us work our trucks, or do (some) off road travel. Things that would make a lowered truck impractical, or useless. I do things with my truck that Gunracer can't do with his, and vice-versa, it's all what you want out of your truck.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:50 PM

Part of the reason that you don't see many trying them might be partially because many of us work our trucks, or do (some) off road travel. Things that would make a lowered truck impractical, or useless. I do things with my truck that Gunracer can't do with his, and vice-versa, it's all what you want out of your truck.
Like I said, the most I haul is maybe 7-8k lbs, most of the stuff going in the bed is under 1500-2klbs, and as for going offroad, I wouldnt even bother, the front end could get stuck in the grass on a dry day
Old 06-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Banned

But in my case I haul a lot, rarely heavy, but I am constantly loading stuff in and out of the bed (more than a 2" lift is out) and I drive through a lot of fields and such (no hardcore off road, rarely even off road for fun) but enough to where lowering would handicap my working/playing/hunting. Plus I am not a big fan of lowered trucks.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:10 PM

But in my case I haul a lot, rarely heavy, but I am constantly loading stuff in and out of the bed (more than a 2" lift is out) and I drive through a lot of fields and such (no hardcore off road, rarely even off road for fun) but enough to where lowering would handicap my working/playing/hunting. Plus I am not a big fan of lowered trucks.
I hear ya...

Heck, I may just do a 2" shackle drop out back just to get the butt down so it doesnt look so raked...

I dont really want to lower the front, if I did it would only be just a bit, 2" at the most, I just want it to sit level more than anything, and I dont want to go up with the front end...
Old 06-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Banned

Heck, I may just do a 2" shackle drop out back just to get the butt down so it doesnt look so raked...
I thought all good rednecks liked the rear in the air look

That would probally be the best way to keep it riding good.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:21 PM

I thought all good rednecks liked the rear in the air look

That would probally be the best way to keep it riding good.
Well, it cant really ride any worse, unloaded....
Rides like a dream with 2klbs in the bed Too bad it costs some fuel mileage....
Otherwise id roll around with bags of cement in the bed, cheap lowering kit and itll ride nice
Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Banned

Well, it cant really ride any worse, unloaded....
Rides like a dream with 2klbs in the bed Too bad it costs some fuel mileage....
Otherwise id roll around with bags of cement in the bed, cheap lowering kit and itll ride nice
I bet it could get worse. Mine Dodges felt smooth after having a 97 PSD...

OT: How did you do your front bumper?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 PM

I bet it could get worse. Mine Dodges felt smooth after having a 97 PSD...

OT: How did you do your front bumper?
It was painted and the paint was flaking off, just wet sanded it(I used 220), should have gone much finer to smooth it out and possibly polish it up some, but im planning on buying another bumper later...
I just couldnt stand the paint flaking off
Old 06-08-2006, 06:43 AM

Stacked, you want to talk with "hellotbone" aka Jamie Attridge. He's was an active member of the board, but hasn't posted since late April. Maybe you can e-mail him. He has a slammed 2500 that looks really nice. I believe he uses bags. He might even have pix of it in the gallery.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Commatoze
Stacked, you want to talk with "hellotbone" aka Jamie Attridge. He's was an active member of the board, but hasn't posted since late April. Maybe you can e-mail him. He has a slammed 2500 that looks really nice. I believe he uses bags. He might even have pix of it in the gallery.
Thanks, ill give him a try...
Old 06-09-2006, 07:56 AM

I don't think you'd need to drop the front of a 2500 very much at all, the front already sits pretty low..

If it was my truck, I'd do about a 3" drop in the rear, and add airbags for bed carrying capacity.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:46 AM

well i planed on doing bags all the way around, but i ran out of money so i just dumped it for free. the ride is not as good as it was. but not terrible, the thing handles way better. and the miliage is up because of it. i need to stick the smaller tires back on the front. right now i have 275/50/20s all the way around and they rub in the front on a big bump. i will bag it this winter and 4 link the rear so bottoming out won't be a problem. i am very close to my 30 miles to the gallon goal, with in 10%. i need to try out the bed cap or a slant back topper and i believe i will be there. still haven't got to the 11 second quarter yet, i need to swap in the dana 80 with a posi. and i still want a set of 3.23s in it.

Quick Reply: Anyone lower their 2500?