Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

amsoil nano filter/afe

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amsoil nano filter/afe

Can anyone confirm for me that EaAU6080 would be best to replace my filter on my stage 2 afe intake. They make a few with 6" flange but think this would be the better. My pro guard 7 afe is 7 years old never had problems except last few times after cleaning the filter seems to be crushing some. Even cleaning good and 're oiling light. What do u all think? Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 04:38 AM

so no one has replaced the afe filter with a amsoil nano filter.. how about replacing it with a filter from S&B???
Old 02-23-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I replaced my factory box with an Amsoil filter. Ck the site as there are tons of applications that will work...I selected the largest oval filter with a matching ID inlet so it would match the factory tube hooking to the turbo. Its a dry filter so oil isn't drawn into the turbo. I would say...just abt any one will work as long as you meet or exceed the cfm airflow.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 AM

yes the amsoil filter # i posted would be the size closest to the AFE PG 7 that came with the AFE stage 2. but it is actually smaller. I'm unsure of the cfm rating on the amsoil. S&B filters list CFM but again the closest they have for one matching is still smaller. so Im concerned with all the fuel I have will the amsoil or s/b be a actual down grade in the cfm department.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
IMO...as long as you keep the inlet side of things the same size you shld be ok. You're going to have restriction points no matter due to the filter element....I just wouldn't use anything significantly smaller than factory or what you have.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:33 AM

a couple diff companies make universal filter minders. since my older afe stage 2 does not retain the filter minder I may also look into using a universal kit and tap into the intake tube on the afe. I have never used these but may serve as good measuring tool.

http://sourceautomotive.biz/aemremot...ndergauge.aspx

I may be even able to tap this in and run it up and place it under my aftermarket cowl hood by my wipers to view it all times.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 PM

Found replacement

So after debating this for months I decided to bite the bullet and buy a
S&B filter that replaces competitors filters. My AFE is almost 8 years old and no matter how good i cleaned it I would get signs of crushing after heavy WOT events. so AFE RACE filter would be 80ish $
the S&B filter #CR-90021 was only 54$ my AFE was cleaned less than 3k miles ago. with the weather in the 90's to 100's here lately my cool down to 350 temp was 4-5 min.

so far with the new filter my cool down was a minute or less.
again nothing wrong and not bashing AFE but it was old and i got my money out of the 8 year filter. just time for something new and found this replacement.

you can see the crushing on the inside of the end and leading edge on the outer end. I was also still able to use the outer sack its not as tight as with the AFE but it will work
Attached Thumbnails amsoil nano filter/afe-filter-1.jpg   amsoil nano filter/afe-filter-3.jpg   amsoil nano filter/afe-filter-2.jpg   amsoil nano filter/afe-filter-4.jpg  
Old 08-14-2014, 10:41 AM

I think I have that exact same setup (was on the truck when I got it). A couple questions for you. The previous owner stated that the filter is a dry filter, but I don't think it is. He said the previous owner told him that. Yet in the glove-box I found a paper saying that it is to be oiled. I looked at the AFE site and it looks like the "Pro 5" filter based on the shape. Mine looks exactly like yours and you say that it is a Pro 7 filter. I don't know how to tell either way. In either case, I ordered a recharge kit and plan to oil mine as it seems like it needs to be. If it is supposed to be and hasn't been, now I am concerned that the filter has not been doing it's job. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:18 PM

so to clear this up my old set up with my AFE stage 2 set up I had both the the PG7 and the PG5 (race). the one in my picture was the RACE filter those are the ones with the end that has a inverted cone filter. the PG7 do not. and they were usually yellow/oiled.

I replaced my AFE with a S&B filter because the flow was to be slightly better and filtering slightly better but it was almost 40$ cheaper.

also S&B does make a Dry version of this same filter. same part number but with a D on the end of number.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 PM

I mean my setup looks exactly like what you removed & replaced. Mine says "Magnum Sport" just like the one on your second pic there. My main question is, "Is the PG5 an oiled filter?"
Old 08-15-2014, 12:20 AM

when I bought the pg5 (race version) as they called it. they did not offer a dry. but I believe as of 2012 they came out with a dry for only for the 5 layer filter. not the 7 layer called (pro dry 5)
go to afe filters and look it up to see what you have compared to what they show. or go to a diesel performance shop if you have one close to you to compare what they have on shelf?