Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Amazing transmission story

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazing transmission story

My transmission story:

First a little history, I bought my truck in October of 2002, It had 107,000 miles on it at that time. Since then I’ve had the transmission out 4 times. 1st time slow to engage reverse, overhauled, 2nd time torque converter and valve body (got converter from local shop, found out later it was a Suncoast, installed transgo kit in valve body, performance), 3rd time slips in lockup, (overhauled and installed Georend Bros. valve body, found drum on input shaft cracked in 4 places), 4th time lock up engaging slow or not at all, replaced front pump and input shaft, didn’t fix problem. I have a lighted “mystery switch” in my truck, (it lights up anytime the ground is completed, by the computer or if the switch is turned on). Oh yeah all this in 55,000 miles.

Here’s where the story really begins. I called Dave at Georend Bros. and told him the problems I was having, (lock up acting up) he told me it could be in the torque converter or front pump/input shaft seals, the valve body or possibly an electrical problem. He said I needed to check for a pressure rise in the cooler lines when the lock up kicks in. He told me an easy way to check for this on a lift if it would act up. He said if there is an increase, the problem will be in the torque converter or possibly the front pump or seals on input shaft (see 4th transmission repair, done after talking to Dave to eliminate that possiblity). At this point Dave offered to send me another valve body (at no charge) just to make sure it wasn’t in the valve body. (I declined at this time hoping to be able to check pressures). Again problem is intermittent so I wasn’t sure even after checking on a lift. I called Chris at Relentless Diesel Performance; he is my closest DTT transmission builder, (I was ready to let this be someone else’s problem and also like the DTT product). After talking to him on the phone, I went to see him at his shop on a Saturday. Talked with him for over an hour and took him for a test drive, [I’m happy with the way my transmission shifts, (thanks Dave at Goerend Bros)] lock up did act up. He told me with what all has already been done to my transmission, and with my power levels, and the fact I like the way my transmission shifts, his suggestion, was get a pressure reading off the cooler line (same as Dave’s suggestion) to verify problem is in the converter and not the valve body, After I verify if the problem is in the converter call Sun Coast, they have an overhaul policy for there converters that cost a few hundred dollars. This is the advice I get from someone who I’m wishing will sell me a transmission. (I’m not complaining here, I just saying I’m mentally prepared to spend the money for a DTT transmission and he recommends repairing mine, how’s that for honesty). So I called Joe at Suncoast, he did verify they do go thru their converters for a price (much cheaper than a new one) and asked when I purchased mine. I told him (was just short of 2 years ago) he said it should still be under warranty. He did advise me to check one more thing. If that was ok pull it out and send it to him. (I’m getting more amazed with everyone I talk to). I manage to get a pressure gauge hooked up to my transmission line, when computer engages lock up; pressures immediately jump as they should. At this point I’m pretty sure it has to be in the converter. I call Dave back (Georend Bros.) and tell him what I’ve found, he agrees it just about has to be in the converter, he tells me to get in touch with Suncoast and he’s pretty sure they will take care of me (again I’ve already talked to Suncoast and they have said they will). I told Dave I’d rather have one of his converters (very happy with valve body, and want just one company to do the whole transmission if it comes to that) and if that doesn’t fix my problem then I’ll order the entire transmission from him (less the valve body and converter that I already will have). He gives me a price on a converter, (a very good price) but says he’s going to send it to me and let me put it in, and if that doesn’t fix my problem he’s not going to charge me till we get the problem solved. I try to give him my credit card #, he says “don’t worry about it, let’s make sure this fixes your problem first.” I’m about 1200 miles away from Goerend Bros., and other than the fact that I bought a valve body from him about a year ago Dave doesn’t know me from Adam. (I always wondered who is Adam?) Converter arrived 5 days later (talked to Dave on a Wed. evening, arrived Monday). Got the converter installed a couple of days later (transmission now out for the 5th time) and the problem is solved.

I would like to thank,

Dave at Georend Brothers Transmission
Joe at Suncoast Converters
Chris at Relentless Diesel Performance.

I can’t say enough good about all three of these individuals and there companies. Hopefully by sharing my experiences that will say it all.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that's customer service.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:36 PM

Doesn't surprise me at all....Dave still does business on a handshake. I've posted several times on how well he has taken care of me...
Old 03-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Great to see that Old-Fashioned "Customer Service" is NOT dead.

Thanks to these companies for keeping it alive.

Dave Goerend went way "outside the box" to help me get my tranny problems resolved.
Thanks Dave & company.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:25 PM

Talked to Dave today..........offered me a complete tranny swap for my slipping some stock, never replaced clutches . I thought that was a little extreme customer service on his end. If there is one person that sets a standard for customer service, it is Dave Goerend for sure!

Roman
Old 03-25-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
All I can say is WOW- It seems that there are still some folks with good business ehtics out there.

I think that it's advisable to spend some money with them. Simply because it's the better deal for both sides in the long run. And you can get rid of some well known companies that will only promise the sky and not give you even a small bit of blue paper when it's needed.

TMC- Glad to hear you have got it resolved!

AlpineRAM
Old 03-25-2005, 06:29 PM

I don't even have an auto and I am choked up. Most people know the dodge tranny leaves a bit to be desired but who knew it was a secret method to meet a few honest shops around the country. to the mentioned shops WAY TO BE!!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:19 PM

He took good care of me Highly reccommend him!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:36 PM

Dave has always given me the very best service and product. Thanks Steve B.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:29 PM

I send him the links to these threads once in a while......he gets all "Aw, shucks" when I talk to him

Just a little encouragement from folks he's done right by....
Old 03-26-2005, 12:08 AM

I emailed him a while back. Very straight up guy willing to help anyone. He knew i was 17, and treated me like i was older than he was. Offered to walk me through making sure i was getting full line pressure over the phone, and quoted me a great price on a converter. I have never bought anything from him, and i would already advise him for sure.

Eric
Old 03-26-2005, 12:57 AM

Down the road a couple/few years I hope to make my current truck a full on puller. When I do I will be buying a 2wd CC/QC 3500 auto.....it will get Dave Georend parts as soon as I get it!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:22 PM

if the "big boys" at Dodge would take the time to learn from these guys how to treat their customers, they could take the lead in truck sales overnite.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:39 PM

Talking

"I bought a valve body from him about a year ago Dave doesn’t know me from Adam. (I always wondered who is Adam?)"

You might know Adam's wife, Eve!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:19 PM

I could not agree more about Dave Goerend..

See my post in this thread: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=64565

Quick Reply: Amazing transmission story