Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AD 100 Wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AD 100 Wiring help

Happy New Year!

I'll try to keep this short but need to give as much info as possible:

I'm installing the wiring harness for the AD100 into an 01 ram 3500 which had an in tank pump (now heavily modified). Seems easy enough BUT - the instructions say to plug the two pole deutsch plug into the plug vacated by the lift pump - which goes to the ECM. My plug appears to be a three pole oval plug not a two pole square plug.

Can anyone confirm this three prong oval plug is the original LP connection in an 01? It is directly behind the oil filter and above the starter. It has two tan wires and a third *maybe black wire*(hard to tell cause its dark already).

I contacted AD and they say there should be a two prong square plug. It is not to be found. With the dealer installed retrofit I cant help but think the three prong was the original (now capped). I do not get 12V from any of these poles (of course there covered in blue grease again leading me to believe the dealer did this with the retrofit). I can see the new power wires for the intank pump and they appear to be tapped off the rear wiring harness.

The AD harness also has two tan wires (which I think activate the relay?).

Does anyone know (for sure) if these tan wires are supposed to be 12v + and - with the key on or just continuity? If + and - I can acquire another deutsch and move the wires; if continuity then - well, I don't know yet.

Thanks again
Old 01-02-2009, 07:49 PM

Hmm, I think you might be trying to connect to the Data Link Port. Unless the previous owner/shop cut back the original LP plug, it is a square 2 prong connection. Look lower throughout that big harness and see what plugs you can find.

EDIT: The plug connection should look like this (even though this is an Airtex, the connection is the same).

As I said, unless for some reason they completely removed that plug (even though I'm assuming that is what might have ran the intake pump?) It should be there somewhere, good luck!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:57 PM

Yup, I have one of those - connected to the starter. I can find no other plug - and trust me - I've been looking 'cause I'd love to find it!

Can't believe the lazy dealer removed anything they didn't need to. Hmmm.....

Is your stock plug on the frame rail or just behind the stock fuel filter
Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 PM

The stock plug is always in the big electrical lume, where the engine block mounted LP would go.

There shouldn't be any sort of plug connected to your starter, only connections there are a large positive and a little negative connection. Where do the wires run to from this plug on the starter?

Here is a picture of where the stock LP plug is located. And this is with my AirDog 100 connection.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:13 PM

So maybe I'm an idiot and been staring at this all week! I have a big power wire and a small ground on the bottom of the starter - correct? I have (what appears to be the connector shown) on top of the starter. I assumed it was a connection for the starter relay. Maybe it just looks like a starter connection and is just laying there? I''ll check it in the AM. Dang, I hope your right!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:18 AM

Yeah, the dealer harness should be plugged into the harness for extension to the in tank pump.

Some of the early in tanks and a few others have to cut off the end and connect it direct old school. But your truck should have that connector.

Dave
Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 AM

Dinner, Thanks for the help. I'm very impressed that you had pics ready! You were right, there are only two wires for the starter; the other plug was indeed the correct connector for the AD. In fact, it was hooked up to the factory retro fit for the intank pump. Thanks again, particularly to you, but to all that responded.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Dave,
Just in case I need it later, hows the intank pump conversion coming along?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM

Glad we could help! The AirDog should treat you well.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by ClayBob
Dave,
Just in case I need it later, hows the intank pump conversion coming along?
We have prototype units going out in a few days to beta testers. Early response from our test rigs has been very positive, just need some more testing before pulling the trigger.

Dave